Notices

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by makki View Post

Works so far but two problems:
- I always get an SMS back like -script-
Script [u' blueon'] executes in BG [PIDs=4532].
-> Any way to prevent/silence this?
And silence doesnt work:
Code:
2012-06-22 19:28:17[DAEMON] INFO: Received smscon command [Script blueon] via SMS from +00123456789 (the master) . Acknowledge message disabled.
2012-06-22 19:28:17[DAEMON] INFO: Phone battery charge is 71%, discharging.
2012-06-22 19:28:17[DAEMON] ERROR: (SILENCE) Could not get current phone profile: list index out of range
What I basically try to achieve is turning BT on/off by SMS and silence the sms-sound for only commands to smscon(if possible at all).
I have the same setup for the Reply. Script's still reply.
Try the Message Send option on Email or none.

As for the silence are you using a profile manager?
What happens with:-
Code:
dbus-send --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=com.nokia.profiled /com/nokia/profiled com.nokia.profiled.get_profile
... in a Terminal

@yablacky

One question I'd like to ask is why does SMSCON send your password to your master number when you change it.
I can understand a message to say the password was changed... but actually sending the password to the master number is a potential security risk, surely?
Just found this out the hard way.

AFAIR this is not made clear in the wiki's eithier.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
... Two questions using 0.10.3 on N900:
configured:
COM_CUSTOM = 'Script*'
COMMANDREPLY = 'no'
SILENCEDEVICE = 'yes'

and ...

Works so far but two problems:
- I always get an SMS back like -script-
Script [u' blueon'] executes in BG [PIDs=4532].
-> Any way to prevent/silence this?
You can change this under "General options" -> "Reply message settings". On command line this is MESSAGESEND setting:
Code:
smscon -set MESSAGESEND email
Possible values are: sms|email|both|none. It applies to all commands except GPS related ones which have separate setting GPSSEND to control notifications.

And silence doesnt work:
Many Thanks for the log information. I have fixed this bug right now. It was a serious bug because it applies to all commands that made use of session dbus. The session dbus was not available to smscon if it runs from boot (seems nobody noticed ). As this run-mode was standard since 0.10 the bug comes much more into sight.

UPDATE: The silencing function does not prevent the sms alert sound of the very first sms command because phone alerts before smscon has chance to silence. Silence applies to all further sms being received.

Last edited by yablacky; 2012-06-23 at 05:11. Reason: Add silencing details

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yablacky For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
Code:
dbus-send --type=method_call --print-reply --dest=com.nokia.profiled /com/nokia/profiled com.nokia.profiled.get_profile
... in a Terminal
In a terminal that works. smscon haven't had no access to the session dbus which makes most dbus operations fail. This problem happened if smscon daemon was stared by init process (on boot) and the problem vanished, once smscon was stopped/started in a terminal. Since 0.10 stop/start is always (implicitly) done by init. So the problem is more persistent. But its fixed now.

@yablacky

One question I'd like to ask is why does SMSCON send your password to your master number when you change it.
I can understand a message to say the password was changed... but actually sending the password to the master number is a potential security risk, surely?
Just found this out the hard way.

AFAIR this is not made clear in the wiki's eithier.
It's by design. It is assumed that the MASTERNUMBER phone is "secure" in this means. The password can't be used to remote control the phone. If it wasn't you who changed the password then you probably want to know it once you got the phone back. I Should add a note about that in the wiki...

The Following User Says Thank You to yablacky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by yablacky View Post
It's by design. It is assumed that the MASTERNUMBER phone is "secure" in this means. The password can't be used to remote control the phone. If it wasn't you who changed the password then you probably want to know it once you got the phone back. I Should add a note about that in the wiki...
I didn't think you could change the code without putting in the old code first anyway.
If you use the same SSH code as SMSCON from first installation then both codes are compromised.

IMO, I don't like it when anything sends my password's back to me in plain text, I know what it is I don't want the world to know.
Email's like this I delete instantly.

This caught me more by surpise when my friend (master number) texted my password to me, two minutes after changing it!

I have never used the silence on first message option, any dbus I have used was in a script and worked fine.
Thanks for the fix.

It also makes sense that the first message will notify then the phone will be silent. I forgot about that.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
I didn't think you could change the code without putting in the old code first anyway.
If you use the same SSH code as SMSCON from first installation then both codes are compromised.
That's true for a user that uses smscon-editor as designated. To change the password you need the old one. There are two cases: (1) the regular owner changed it (2) someone else changed it. In case of (1) the old code wasn't compromised and the change notification could be compromising due to plain text password, I agree. In case of (2) the old code was compromised and compromising the new code to regular owner is desired and main reason for this functionality.

A user could simply de-install, purge and re-install smscon-editor. In this case the password is reset to the default and therefore compromised from the beginning.

A user even could simply de-install smscon to get rid of all remote controlling.

The security concepts of maemo are designed to protect the user from internet, not to protect the phone from user. And smscon does not claim to change that. In fact nothing and nobody can. Even companies like apple or google with closed devices concepts from the start can't prevent that experienced users root the phone. Once you are root, nothing is secure. Except crypted data of which password is not on phone.

IMO, I don't like it when anything sends my password's back to me in plain text, I know what it is I don't want the world to know.
Email's like this I delete instantly.

This caught me more by surpise when my friend (master number) texted my password to me, two minutes after changing it!
I agree. We can remove the feature completely or we can change it to send the notification without password or with encrypted password. All except an option to select behavior. Otherwise a finder/thief that was able to change password would be able to first change option to disable notifications.

It also makes sense that the first message will notify then the phone will be silent. I forgot about that.
I Agree. And there should be a command to undo silencing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yablacky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
when smscon editor will be updated?

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos

When the Time will come. You will see four riders of elopcalypse riding sky, so don't worry, you won't have chance to miss it.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
When the Time will come. You will see four riders of elopcalypse riding sky, so don't worry, you won't have chance to miss it.
i am waiting for "four riders of elopcalypse riding in the sky"

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos

Thanks yablacky!
That works things out fine for my usage case.

I understand it's impossible to silence (only) the first SMS, can though live with that;
Anybody with a suggestion to delete (only valid!) received SMS by Software or a script after reception by smscon?
i.e. "delete anything which starts with COM_PREFIX" from sms-inbox

Michael

P.S.: Again: great tool, I love it though since now I used it only for the non-existant case of loosing it, it can do much more for me now

Anybody with a suggestion to delete (only valid!) received SMS by Software or a script after reception by smscon?
i.e. "delete anything which starts with COM_PREFIX" from sms-inbox
A few days ago I found out how this could be done: By directly modifying the database that stores these messages. I assume smscon could even remove them by itself after recognizing them as a command.

The Following User Says Thank You to yablacky For This Useful Post: