I wish I could take the CPU of out my N810 and put a faster one in. Do you feel the same way about your N810?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hordeman For This Useful Post:
Faster CPU, more ram, bigger battery..

Come to think of it, I want to do that with every computer and device I have...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
buy a n900

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Originally Posted by atilla View Post
buy a n900
Screen is too small. The USB connector is fragile. There are less keys on the keyboard.

Thanks, but no thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to hordeman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
i said all those things for the last year, but finally gave in with the aid of a good deal on an N900.

screen and keyboard are not an issue actually, but too early to tell abot the usb.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Screen is too small.
Can't argue with that if it's a dealbreaker for you, though I think the screen's fine.

The USB connector is fragile.
Not really... I don't know who got screwed over by sheer luck and possibly got ones with faulty connectors, but I've never had an issue with it, and there's plenty of people in the threads *****ing about the connector that say they've never had an issue with it. I don't know what "fragile" means to you, but either you got a defective unit, or you do things to your N900 when it's plugged in that should never be done to anything connected to a wire. Basically, I really don't know why you think the N900's connector is any less fragile than reasonable for a microUSB port. I get that a lot of people have problems with it, but there's plenty more who don't.

There are less keys on the keyboard.
After installing rootsh and spending a few minutes in the rx-51 file, you can get almost everything you'd ever need to type available to you.

I've got |, (broken bar), (tab), (delete), (Esc), {, }, [, ], (Plusminus), (multiplication dot - called "centerdot" or "middledot" or something - I can look it up if you'd like), division sign, the guillemets, <, >, (less than or equals), (greater than or equals), not-equal sign, degree sign, infinity sign, generic-currency symbol, ^, ~, and Home/End/PageUp/PageDown...

And a few things like diaeresis, abovedot, grave and accute accents, and the upside-down version of ^ (caron, I think it's called), mapped as dead keys, which gives me a choice or writing more characters than I know what to do with.

Now, that's not to say that the Nxx0s can't have their keys remapped either, that same way or better - they probably can - but unless you're as anal as me about having access to as many characters you might possibly use as possible, I doubt you couldn't get all the characters you want mapped to Shift+Fn+(key) combinations in five minutes.

- That said -

I think "Just get an N900" isn't very great advice. My advice wouldn't be very practical though: Contact the people who make the OMAP SoCs (Texas Instruments? I don't know), but a few of their latest and best, get yourself someone with a wealth of OS and BIOS experience just in case, buy a couple spare N8x0s to experiment with, and get to work with a sautering (not sure how to spell that) iron.

Originally Posted by hordeman View Post
I wish I could take the CPU of out my N810 and put a faster one in. Do you feel the same way about your N810?
No, but I do often wish I could put some more RAM in.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
I wish I could have 2d and 3d acceleration working. I'd even settle with just 2d, or any kind of video acceleration. I understand it may take a while, but that is what I look forward too most.

Edit: I guess that is not related to the CPU (Or if someone knows better, is it?). But what I wish that is related to the cpu, is some way to overclock, and if possible, undervolt.

Last edited by cstryon; 2010-09-11 at 00:13. Reason: Not related to CPU

N810 has two kinds of video acceleration: colourspace transform and hardware scaling

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
I do still think that the N810 is a much better piece of design, and much better looking than the N900.

The N900 is just a small black lump of plastic, whereas the N810 is very sleek, and the anodisation is lovely. Even the LED notifier on the N810 is much much nicer than the N900.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following User Says Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post: