Hi, I live in Canada.
Got 4 days ago new N900 (eBay).
It had some apps installed games etc.

has Rootish installed and I updated to latest OS. installed some other apps etc, was working fine. charged several times used made phone calls etc.

Problem started after:

yesterday battery fully ran out and the phone shut off.

Problem:
1. I plug in the wall charger into phone
2. Phone vibrates once and yellow light starts blinking for about 10 seconds, *pale "NOKIA" appears on screen.
Then yellow light and nokia disappear and screen goes black.
In 2 seconds everything repeats.

-I had it on charger overnight.

-I tested other battery today in store, phone got to color screen NOKIA and shut off.

When I plug in usb from computer red light blinks in corner instead of yellow.

any help appreciated. ty.

[I got Toshiba Laptop, Win Vista 64 home premium, have nokia PC suite installed)

UPDATE:
I noticed after the *pale "NOKIA" fades from screen and I press Power button it starts, reaches lit color NOKIA screen COLORED and then ... shuts off.

Last edited by GalaxyBat; 2012-05-09 at 02:50. Reason: Update details

Update :

If anyone had a BATTERY completely depleted so that phone shuts off, then USB charger either from computer or wall charger WILL NOT generate enough power and heat to charge the battery.

Only solution is to charge the battery with square WALL CHARGER that can hold battery inside of it.(no wires)

It will generate enough power to BOOST it and will subdue a battery for USB chargers to take over charging.

Last edited by GalaxyBat; 2012-05-11 at 02:15.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
so you solved your problem ? i hope .
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

Yes I have solved it. My N900 is working great.

What threw me off initially was the local cell phone shop carrying crappy old completely dead batteries that I tested my phone with.

He is selling chinese fake nokia batteries that have no juice left in them whatsoever (for 25 $).

I went to Ming Wireless in Toronto. Ming tested with other battery and phone started , so they charged my battery for like 30 min with universal wall charger (that attaches to battery pins) and gave it enough boost to kick start the charging process.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
good !
glad to hear that
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

Thanks for making this post!

I'm having the same problem you described. so I brought a universal charger, charged the battery, but no success. when you got the needed boost, did it work back as normal? or did you have to reflash?
(Also I have multiboot with NITdroid, kernel power and CSSU)

I brought new a battery but that also didn't get past the Nokia logo screen and the usb logo doesn't show up so can't seem to be able to flash.

I'll try getting some other batteries, but I don't have high hopes after reading this http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/maemo/users/60684
... it may be the end for mine

Last edited by lonk; 2012-05-20 at 21:24.

well....2 days later my post, I noticed that when I plugrd in the charger in phone (battery was about 30% and phone working) the battery charging indicator was showing the charging cycle but battery itself didnt take the charge. I left overnight and in the morning i was greeted with the similar black screen.

My Nokia N900 bit the dust once more. I ordered N900 wall charger and 2 batteries. If this doesnt help my brand new N900 then this will be my last nokia ever.
N900 seems to be some kind of unfinished concept the nokia decided to sell to idiots like me. I feel very bitter and disappointed. out of 3 weeks of owning the phone i got to use it for 4-5 days.

Last edited by GalaxyBat; 2012-05-21 at 11:52.

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
FWIW, I had similar problem with a new sealed in box N900 that I bought off of ebay not too long ago...at that time I did not have an external battery charger.

Seller asked me to return the N900 for testing. After seller tested it, he sent me a message that there was hardware problem and would send me another N900. I received another new, sealed in box, N900....

In meantime, I bought an external battery charger and used it with another N900 that I bought and had similar problem. After charging battery in external charger, the N900 booted up normally and works well.

So, it's clear to me that N900 is sensitive to battery charge level, if it gets too low, you will have problem booting and possibly recharging battery inside of N900. If battery too low, then much better to charge it in external charger.

Hopefully, GalaxyBat, your new wall charger and batteries will solve your problem. Good luck!

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800

wow, Im speechless. So you're telling me I just bought the new N900 that won't charge the fully depleted battery unless I carry with me the wall charger. I thought initially that I had weak battery...

Why no one is talking about this! It seems to me the huge reason NOT to buy N900 and everyone is silent. This must be some kind of joke i still can't believe this is a real issue.

I think I am adding nokia to "Never Buy Brand" list which already includes Motorola.

Can you imagine uproar if iphone had this problem. I seriously expected more from Nokia's phone.

Last edited by GalaxyBat; 2012-05-26 at 00:41.

Posts: 414 | Thanked: 109 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by GalaxyBat View Post
wow, Im speechless. So you're telling me I just bought the new N900 that won't charge the fully depleted battery unless I carry with me the wall charger. I thought initially that I had weak battery...

Why no one is talking about this! It seems to me the huge reason NOT to buy N900 and everyone is silent. This must be some kind of joke i still can't believe this is a real issue.

I think I am adding nokia to "Never Buy Brand" list which already includes Motorola.

Can you imagine uproar if iphone had this problem. I seriously expected more from Nokia's phone.
No, I don't think that's what I was telling you....just that sometimes it is the situation...but not always....lately I've been OK with charging up battery fully inside the N900 using the AC charger connected....

Also, I bought an external battery charger for about $5 USD off of ebay, so, not exactly a big expense....but it's very nice to have when needed.....

I don't have any proof of this, but I suspect that perhaps part of the battery issue is somewhat related to the age of the Nokia batteries that came with the N900 as they were produced a few years ago by now, right?....

So, take a deep breath and relax......and then enjoy this great little linux pocket computer.....

Nokia N900
Previous: Nokia N810 & N800