i think it's a issue specific to n810 and that it comes up in the pivot-root phase or later. i would be glad to hear that someone got it booted. unless someone more experienced would like to drive my tryes to get it working on n810, i think i'll give up and wait for mer to have sound support.
does someone got jaunty working in a n810?

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
I have had both Ubuntu and Mer working in the past on my N810. Currently, running a version of Mer on it with E17. I haven't tried the Ubuntu install in a few weeks though, so something may be broken since then. Anyway, if you really want to try it, and don't mind a little work, you can install Mer and then manually remove conflicting packages between Mer and Ubuntu and then install whatever part of ubuntu you want...It's not the quickest method, but it works.

If you still have Jaunty installed on your system, you should try to chroot into it and then remove the ubuntu-splash packages...The problem could be that your system is trying to use the wrong bootloader splash.

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-03-10 at 20:20.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
The issue is, as pointed bu Stskeeps on IRC, that, at least I, have a different bootmenu installed (fanoush's) and that may have broken the ubuntu partition

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
That may be the case. Try out the other bootmenu and see if things go better if you get a chance. Maybe your feedback can help lead to a solution to fix the problem.

As an aside, I have successfully used the fanoush bootmenu in ubuntu in the past without problems. But, you never know what might have changed since then.

Fanoush's one was able to boot it, I could see the splash screens and then I got the last with the error..

i don't have valuable data in my n810 so to me is not a problem to reflash maemo and install deblet bootmenu from scratch.
can i use the same ubuntu partition i build previously or am i supposed to rebuil the filesystem debbootstrapping it again?
is the rootfs filesystem in post 1 sane? maybe i better use it to keep things clear?

The rootfs in the 1st post is ok, but old.
I think the fs you've got now should work.

reflashed and installed deblet bootmenu, same issue.
chrooted and uninstalled ubuntu-omap-fb-splash ubuntu-rescue-menu, same issue but without the boot splash, i just see the "Incompatible bootmenu used" message.
untarred in the root partition Ubuntu-9.04-N8x0-v2.1.tar.gz and the system just hangs after the message "pivot root and starting /sbin/init..."
let me know if you want me to do some more tests.

I think b-man or Fanoush may answer and give us some hints...

A part from suggesting you to try to install it into the internal partition, I have no idea of where to go next.

Originally Posted by anidel View Post
I think b-man or Fanoush may answer and give us some hints...

A part from suggesting you to try to install it into the internal partition, I have no idea of where to go next.
i'm already installing in the internal mmc, i think we are stuck.
by the way, untarring the mer rootfs in the same partition do works, mer boots correctly without modifications of the ubuntu.init file

Tags
nokia n8x0, ubuntu