Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by Mixu View Post
I enabled Maemo Extras-Devel and Hackers (too lazy to add one by one to see which one was the correct one) and now I have 0.2.3-maemo2 version installed. Didn't solve the thumbnail problem though I also re-installed the flickr plugin just in case there was also something wrong with that but no help. Looks like either plugin does nothing. I don't see any new menu items anywhere. Does anyone have more good ideas?
extras-devel is what you need.

I am surprised that it did not work for you. It is working for me perfectly. I just refreshed my database last night to add some more files, and cover art generation was fast and painless. Have you tried starting from canola cleanup and then going all the way ? Quite honestly, while I have 0.2.3-maemo2, I never uninstalled the flickr plugin, so I do not know if the latest tuning plugin solved anything. But I will try to uninstall everything tonight and reinstall one by one and let you know how it goes

The Following User Says Thank You to stl1859 For This Useful Post:
Okay - I tried this all over again

(a) ran canola-cleanup to wipe out all traces of canola from my tablet.

(b) installed Canola2 Media Player version 2.0.0-maemo1

(c) installed Canola2 Tuning Plugin version 0.2.3-maemo2

I have been able to set up my music, video and photo library, and generate cover arts for all my albums. The Tuning Plugin seems to be working okay. The only glitch that I encountered was that my videos were not recognized the first time around, and I had to restart once.

I did not install any other plugins this time.

Let me know if i can provide any more information that can help you debug

The Following User Says Thank You to stl1859 For This Useful Post:
so....
I didn't yet...
Is there any reason for that upgrade, or it is just a cause of problems?

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
I'm getting a bunch of errors too and I'm loathed to remove and risk having a non-working version of the application especially as I have a lot of podcast subscriptions etceteras working at present.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Portugal
Removed old version and installed this one and upnp plugin, but I can't connect to upnp (no icon to set it up). Am I missing something?

I too am having problems with the upnp plugin.

starting canola with -v -v returns:

DBG_E plugin_manager:163:_load_plugins() [No module named canola-upnp.upnp.model] while loading plugin 'UPnP Model', skipping it ...
ImportError: No module named canola-upnp.upnp.model

It appears that the upnp plugin is not yet compatible with the 'new' canola. Any chance of an updated version?
(It's a shame, really, upnp is the thing I use the most in canola.)

Originally Posted by Rune View Post

It appears that the upnp plugin is not yet compatible with the 'new' canola. Any chance of an updated version?
(It's a shame, really, upnp is the thing I use the most in canola.)
That is most likely the problem. If you go to http://code.openbossa.org/projects/canola-upnp , you will notice that the uPnP plugin has not been updated since May 31. Most of the other plugins were updated on October 30th before the 2.0.0 version came out

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by tori View Post

Is there any reason for [this] upgrade, or it is just a cause of problems?
Good question. Anyone whose upgraded want to say what's different?

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Good question. Anyone whose upgraded want to say what's different?
From my limited experience ( I only use it as an MP3 player - nothing more - not even video ) so far, I can tell

(a) The app appears to be more responsive

(b) There is now a single "main menu" instead of a multilevel menu, so it is faster to get to your media / plugin. What options show up on this 'menu' is configurable

(c) Once in a while you see glitches in the app - like a widget not showing or the wrong widget showing - This is more often than I have seen in the past - but not as often that it becomes a nuisance. And in most cases some screen refreshes ( i.e. moving to another screen and back) will make the problem go away and in certain cases an application restart is needed.

From what I can tell, there is no desperate reason to upgrade, but I did not have any reason not to upgrade either, and this way I will be on track for future upgrades as these problems get resolved.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stl1859 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by stl1859 View Post
extras-devel is what you need.

I am surprised that it did not work for you. It is working for me perfectly. I just refreshed my database last night to add some more files, and cover art generation was fast and painless. Have you tried starting from canola cleanup and then going all the way ? Quite honestly, while I have 0.2.3-maemo2, I never uninstalled the flickr plugin, so I do not know if the latest tuning plugin solved anything. But I will try to uninstall everything tonight and reinstall one by one and let you know how it goes
Ran cleanup (0.1.8-maemo3) again, installed Canola 2.0.0-maemo1 and Tuning plugin 0.2.3-maemo2. Still same ****.

I'm not familiar with Linux so could someone kindly give any hints where to find some Canola log files or something where I could check what goes wrong?

Or is there any other good, working, media player for N810? I checked Canola bug tracker and it looks like the Canola project has been dead for one year (no comments, no assignments). I really liked Canola but for some weird reason this bug annoys me quite much. I guess it worked so well before that my expectations are very high.