Active Topics

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
I did that with N810 (RDP, NX) and while it worked the workflow still sucked because of a too low signal-to-noise ratio. I had hard times reading the text, and clicking right; I had to work around that e.g. by double clicking on taskbar items instead so they'd minimize. Yes, it worked, but there was no way to zoom in or out which sometimes is required. Therefore, I much prefer being able to easily zoom in and get precision. If I were forced to choose between pitch to zoom in at the cost of less precision and lack of stylus I'd pick the former. Some kind of compromise between the two would be, eventually, best IMO because a 100% zoom in is a bit over the top.. rather complex, to find the right balance!!

My n810's job is to extend my PC and give me as close to a laptop/desktop experience with something that fits in my pocket.
What a smartphone does is exactly that: its just a computer. If it supports protocols like for example IMAP, SMTP, POP3 then it extends your PC experience because you can use your smartphone to use those protocols instead of your PC. Yet we all agree that we cannot run Outlook on our smartphone (even if it were 1:1 ported to ARMEL). We have always (tried to) optimize the applications for the hardware because the hardware in a product is rather static.

Instead what you do is fail to adapt to a UI paradigm optimized for a handheld. Yes, you're entirely free to not adapt, but there will not be many customers who will prefer your way of interaction (handheld, Linux, GTK, all kind of little checkboxes and cluttered interface with tons of bells and whistles, stylus-optimized, 4"1 screen) instead we are moving towards optimized UI paradigms. That means we say byebye to previous, sub optimal ones.

When newbies come to care about x86-32 compatibility they're laughed at. When newbies want Windows compatibility they're laughed at. Yet, this kind of compatibility is somehow a holy grail to some of you.

Yet the harsh reality is that we have 800x480; not something like 1024x780-1600x960. The fact is we don't have a mouse pointer. We don't have as much resources as a laptop or PC (not even a netbook). We have 3G instead of broadband.

Personally, I won't buy a Nokia N920 a few months after I bought a Nokia N900 no matter how good it may be. And the Nokia N900 I plan buying end this month...

I will say only one thing with regards to the whole "capacitive vs. resistive" argument and I'm done.

I just wish this would hit the market ASAP so I never have to hear another "capacitive vs. resistive" debate. Ever. Again.

RIM patent filing reveals hybrid capacitive / resistive touchscreens/

Frankly, I hate the fact that touchscreens on mobile devices have gotten so much mindshare in the last several years. I honestly wish that the touch was layered on top of a UI that was mainly drive by hardware keys, with touch enhancing the experience in certain apps (like web browsing) as opposed to being the standard way to interact (and no, I'm not talking about some kludgy implementation like S60 5th Edition). Touch driven devices make it incredibly hard to multitask and/or be mobile in my experience.

But hey, that's coming from a person that has an iPhone, an N97, and the N900 on pre-order so what does that say?

I do hope that the N920, if it comes with AT&T's 3G bands, does have a keyboard or that a Maemo device with AT&T 3G bands + keyboard is released shortly afterwards.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadMojoUT For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
Has anyone else noticed that this supposed N920 has an image of OS2008, maybe even OS2007 on it? I know this is more about the old subject of capacitive vs resistive but I personally believe that prototype to be bogus.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Instead what you do is fail to adapt to a UI paradigm optimized for a handheld. Yes, you're entirely free to not adapt, but there will not be many customers who will prefer your way of interaction (handheld, Linux, GTK, all kind of little checkboxes and cluttered interface with tons of bells and whistles, stylus-optimized, 4"1 screen) instead we are moving towards optimized UI paradigms. That means we say byebye to previous, sub optimal ones.
Like I said, I don't fail to adapt, but I merely tolerate the adaptations and they irritate rather than excite me. What interests me is getting full versions of desktop software running on mobile platforms. The first handheld web server I saw was impressive. Now I run full asterisk on Maemo -- pretty cool stuff!

Originally Posted by spock View Post
Like I said, I don't fail to adapt, but I merely tolerate the adaptations and they irritate rather than excite me. What interests me is getting full versions of desktop software running on mobile platforms. The first handheld web server I saw was impressive. Now I run full asterisk on Maemo -- pretty cool stuff!
Then you're not being realistic which is entirely your free choice but it looks really weird because meanwhile you're claiming the masses have it all wrong.

To draw an analogy: you want a Mini to behave like a truck. You can mod the Mini all you want, and succeed in some areas, but why not take advantage of the characteristics of the Mini and use that to apply the Mini where applicable. Or another analogy: running x86-32 on IA-64.

If all you want is running full version of desktop software on mobile platform you can just grab a Zaurus and run KDE on that. Or some kind of whatever device with some kind of form factor ("mobile platform") and hack GNOME on it. You won't need Maemo then; you rather want say Debian GNU/Linux ARM(EL) port.

Web server and Asterisk are bad examples since they're not GUI software. In fact, for both we have finger touch UI on Maemo 5.

Originally Posted by Swirnoff View Post
i dont understand...
resistive is sensitive enough for a tiny stylus point, but not for typing with fingers?
Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing lol

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
technically, the stylus puts more pressure than a finger. But I agree, and am sick of the capacitive vs resistive. They both have advantages.

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Portland, Or
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
technically, the stylus puts more pressure than a finger. But I agree, and am sick of the capacitive vs resistive. They both have advantages.
Definitely at this point in time, I'm sure even when we get multi-touch resistive screens in the next few months/years there will still be some arguments about random things that make whatever it's competitions is even better than it. They have different purposes and people use them mostly for different things and different target markets.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
i'm just curious why are people presuming the next maemo device will be capacitive screen running maemo 6.
Because we saw it on big screens in Amsterdam with our own eyes.

Ok, ok, not necessarily the very next device, but next year for sure.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Because we saw it on big screens in Amsterdam with our own eyes.

Ok, ok, not necessarily the very next device, but next year for sure.
Myomy talking avout force, hallucinogenics are strong these days... pfff!