Posts: 139 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridgeshire, UK
I just booted into NITDroid to be greeted with a message saying memory card had been formatted and was safe for removal or something like that.

Upon reboot to Maemo it just started looping endlessly. I got it to show verbose boot output and it stalled at:
"unable to chdir /home/user/" each time which led me to think that my memory had been formatted by NITdroid.

I tried everything to get it to boot but no joy so I have reflashed PR1.3 Global. It booted fine afterwards but all contacts etc. are missing now.

Also - if I go to the file manager and click on the N900 drive (the only one showing as my SD card is out at the moment) it simply pops up the message:

"Memory card format not supported"

Is there any way to recover the data now? I have done as little as possible to prevent overwriting - I'd appreciate some help ASAP as I really need to get this working again soon.

I do have a backup set on my PC from a few months ago, so the majority of contacts etc. will be in there, but the most recent backup which was on my SD card appears to have been corrupted by whatever caused this problem alas. I really don't want to lose all of my recent messages, emails, calendar entries etc. so that's a last resort!

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Did you install nitdroid to external or internal memory card???
Please post the output of these commands to see what the install of nitdroid changed
Code:
sudo gainroot
sfdisk -l 
mount
Please post as much info as you know about which partition could be nitdroid and which could be maemo.

when it said you memory card is damaged, did you format it in nitdroid? to me sounds like you did.
if you did, it formated the 32gb!!!!!!
"Memory card format not supported"
now you will have to reflash vanilla image aswell

and no none of the data is recoverable

Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
Did you install nitdroid to external or internal memory card???
Please post the output of these commands to see what the install of nitdroid changed
Code:
sudo gainroot
sfdisk -l 
mount
Please post as much info as you know about which partition could be nitdroid and which could be maemo.
Right... it is definitely the eMMC that was formatted by nitdroid (grr!) but nitdroid itself was installed to an sd card, the only stuff on the internal storage would have been whatever bootloader stuff the nitdroid installer put on there.

The root directory is present but fat, swap and the 2gb linux partition on the eMMC are missing, pretty much only console stuff will run due to the lack of the swap partition.

testdisk (run from a linux laptop, with the drive mounted over USB) is finding the swap and 2gb partitions, but not the fat32 one. I have only scanned so far, I've not made any changes. I have also made a complete dump using ddrescue to the laptop - I've no idea what to do with it (I'm in at the deep end here) but it copied byte-by-byte fashion with no errors.

The results of testdisk allow me to look at the file structure of the found partitions and I see the sort of directories in there that I'm expecting (lost and found, opt, home) but I didn't do anything with it yet.

The results of the tests you asked me to run are:
Code:
:::: fdisk -l ::::                

Units = cylinders of 8257536 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

Device	Boot	Start	End	#cyls	#blocks	Id		System

/dev/mmcblk0p1	*	0+	3877-	3877-	31263744	c	W95 FAT32 (LBA)
		start: (c,h,s) expected (0,32,33) found (1023,255,63)
/dev/mmcblk0p2		0	-	0	0		0	Empty
/dev/mmcblk0p3		0	-	0	0		0	Empty
/dev/mmcblk0p4		0	-	0	0		0	Empty

:::: mount ::::

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
ubi0:rootfs on / type ubifs (rw,bulk_read,no_chk_data_crc)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,noatime,size=1024k)
tmpfs on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noatime,size=256k,mode=755)
none on /dev type tmpfs (rw,noatime,size=10240k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tempfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,size=65536k)
nodev on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (0)

I have managed to boot the N900 using the initrd/recovery image and the flasher tool, but I'm not really familiar with

the commands in busy box. I'd be fine if I could get the files out of the fat and 2gb linux partition sufficiently to

save the data I need and reintegrate it manually on a new eMMC vanilla flash.

Anyone have any ideas?

Well, this looks bad, but you already did the right steps in creating your dd_rescue clone copy!
Please try testdisk on the mounted image on your PC and try to restore /home and /home/opt just to be sure to some save space to look for your data[dot-directories, mails, contacts etc.). You would mount it with (Is this a sudo or a su linux setup? Please add the necessary steps to become root.), but i never opened an image which contains more than one partition
Code:
mount -o loop dd_rescue-image-here /mnt
Word of caution: Do not save anything from the Maemo /home to your PC's /home/YOU because it might mess things up, who knows!?)

There might be a chance to recover the phone to its former state, but this seems to be risky and you should have good knowledge about how it was setup before to achieve it again.
Do you remember which Nitdroid-Install-HowTo you followed, if any? Did Nitdroid work for some time fine parrallel to Maemo? Do you remember how the emmc-setup should look? Did you at some time change the partition scheme of the emmc to customize the storage?
Testdisk has no time-line, so it finds more than one setup, if it was re-partitioned before.

Last edited by michaaa62; 2011-01-19 at 07:45.

Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
Well, this looks bad, but you already did the right steps in creating your dd_rescue clone copy!
Please try testdisk on the mounted image on your PC and try to restore /home and /home/opt just to be sure to some save space to look for your data[dot-directories, mails, contacts etc.). You would mount it with (Is this a sudo or a su linux setup? Please add the necessary steps to become root.), but i never opened an image which contains more than one partition
Code:
mount -o loop dd_rescue-image-here /mnt
Word of caution: Do not save anything from the Maemo /home to your PC's /home/YOU because it might mess things up, who knows!?)

There might be a chance to recover the phone to its former state, but this seems to be risky and you should have good knowledge about how it was setup before to achieve it again.
Do you remember which Nitdroid-Install-HowTo you followed, if any? Did Nitdroid work for some time fine parrallel to Maemo? Do you remember how the emmc-setup should look? Did you at some time change the partition scheme of the emmc to customize the storage?
Testdisk has no time-line, so it finds more than one setup, if it was re-partitioned before.
Thanks for your reply. I'll try to run testdisk on that image then - if it fouls up I can always make another one I have a different partition on the linux laptop to save output to so no risk of overwriting system files there.

I'm not so bothered about completely restoring the from these files, more just getting the user data files from the fat partition on the eMMC and if possible text messages, call logs and contacts. The phone was actually grinding to a halt quite frequently so a fresh install is a good thing and was on the cards anyway.thing

Nitdroid was installed using the installer in the repositories and then I think an update script to get it to the latest version (not gingerbread, I think it was 0.8 froyo?). It was all automatic.

The eMMC was, unless changed by the Nitdroid installer (which doesn't seem as though it should have done it) exactly as per factory settings. So there should be no change between the vanilla image and the partition tables that were on there before they got destroyed. Is there a standard partition table layout that I could refer to in this case? I've noticed options in various tools to assume recovery from certain points... if there was a reliable standard disk geometry layout I could impose on this it might make recovery easier... or even perhaps use a partition table editor to impose partitions back on the image to see if that will restore them.

Thanks again for your help

I'm getting a request to specify the type when I try to mount this - obviously the partition data has been mangled and so this is not providing information to mount.

I've just found testdisk can run a scan on the image file directly - god linux is flexible! It's ceaselessly astonishing just how dumbed down things are on Windows! I shall see what happens with this scan...

Yes there is some thing like the default partition setup
unit: sectors
/dev/mmcblk0p1 : start= 64, size= 56631296, Id=c
/dev/mmcblk0p2 : start= 56631360, size= 4194304, Id= 83
/dev/mmcblk0p3 : start= 60825664, size= 1572864, Id=82
/dev/mmcblk0p4 : start= 0, size= 0, Id= 0
You could write (or copy and paste) this table into a file and dump that file via sfdisk tool to the emmc to assist testdisk in recovery. The partition is a copy from this wiki entry about repartitioning http://wiki.maemo.org/Repartitioning_the_flash

I am not sure if testdisk will cope with the clone-copy on your harddisk, but it is worth a try.
Simply mounting it might give immediate access to the files and data.

Good luck