Active Topics

Is there a way to switch the N800 off automatically after an inactivity timeout?

It may be my imagination, but after installing OS2008, the battery life seems shorter than with OS2007.

That's why I'd like the N800 to turn itself completely off after an activity period.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
You do realize that power cycling pretty much nukes your battery, right? One power cycle is equivalent to about 2 days of idle time.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by intmhe View Post
It may be my imagination, but after installing OS2008, the battery life seems shorter than with OS2007.
Processor runs at it's full 400MHz speed in OS2008. Good.
Kernel has a dodgy cpufreq in OS2008 to switch the speeds. Bad. (Well the dodgy cpufreq is anyway)

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Bristol, UK
If I don't turn my new N810 off I get less than a few hours of battery life with no apps running. Switching off extends that to a day and a half.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
You do realize that power cycling pretty much nukes your battery, right? One power cycle is equivalent to about 2 days of idle time.

Originally Posted by siralien View Post
If I don't turn my new N810 off I get less than a few hours of battery life with no apps running. Switching off extends that to a day and a half.
Then there's something wrong. Idling on wifi you should get 4 days, idling disconnected you should get 10-14.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I easily get better battery life leaving the tablet on then when I do switching it off and on.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 109 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Bristol, UK
Nokia have told me the battery life on my N810 is normal. I cannot understand why you may be getting more than myself but I have never been able to get more than I have in the month I have had my unit.

Originally Posted by siralien View Post
Nokia have told me the battery life on my N810 is normal. I cannot understand why you may be getting more than myself but I have never been able to get more than I have in the month I have had my unit.
They're wrong. You should have 4-5 hours of active wifi usage, about 8 of semi-active usage, 3-5 days idle on wifi and 10-14 days offline.

If you're getting significantly less than that, then something is wrong. Maybe one of your cards is corrupted and metalayer-crawler or something is choking out. Maybe you have some process of some sort cooking the CPU.

There are a number of things that can go wrong, but the battery life you're describing is highly atypical.

Personally, I'd start by reformating the internal card.

You should have 4-5 hours of active wifi usage
Yep. Recently I got exactly 4:35 hours of nonstop browsing with my N800 and a cheap Chinese battery from ebay.

But I noticed that out in the woods, when hijacking an open wlan with a weak signal, battery life is definitely shorter then.

Battery life aside, does anyone know if there is a way to cause the N800 to shut off completely after an inactivity timeout?