Posts: 27 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Sioux Falls SD
I need to pick out a xmas gift for myself. An Eee PC p\or Sony PSP? I already have a N800. I'm asking opinions here cuz it seems we all like the gadgets, and I've noticed alot of people getting the Eee PCs. I'd love to hear opinions on them. Or opinions on any other fun gadgets, that are reasonably priced.

Get a Acer Aspire One, you will love it.

I'm curious why the Aspire and not the Eee pc? I took a quick look at the specs and for the same price you get a 160 gig HD in the Eee vs an 8 gig in the Aspire. What did I miss?

my opinion:
neither maybe the psp if you plan to game a lot. I was about to sell my n800 with the intention of getting a netbook instead. Fortunately a friend gave me a msi wind and an eee to set-up for him. Hmmm, horible little machines. Hot case, small battery, bad keyboard, useless trackpad. It was good for me - I rediscovered all that I love about the n800.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I have a eee 901. The battery life is lot better compared to the eee 701 I had before. Under Linux I now get about 5 - 6 hours battery life, compared to about 2 hours. Apart from that I agree with icebox: hot case, bad keyboard (well, it's a bit tiny, so it's not for writing a lot), useless trackpad (as jerky as any other trackpad too; scroll wheel emulation is with two fingers instead of dedicated areas).
It appears that the SSDs are a bit slower than that of the eee 701. But I did not want noise and mechanical parts, so I didn't choose the HDD version. It's a great machine for a portable office. Wherever there's a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, you can connect them and work really well with it (up to 1680 x 1050). The eee fully replaced my old 15" laptop.
I have heard that the MSI wind has a slightly larger keyboard than the eee.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I have a eee 901. The battery life is lot better compared to the eee 701 I had before. Under Linux I now get about 5 - 6 hours battery life, compared to about 2 hours. Apart from that I agree with icebox: hot case, bad keyboard (well, it's a bit tiny, so it's not for writing a lot), useless trackpad (as jerky as any other trackpad too; scroll wheel emulation is with two fingers instead of dedicated areas).
A lot of that is strongly dependent on your configuration. I'm running Slackware on a 701 (with lots of tweaks, natch) and I get well over 3 hours of battery life when not doing much, and while I have the trackpad using dedicated scroll area, I know that's a software setting, and could change it to two-finger if I wanted. (Conversely, you could change the 901 to scroll-area in software; your OS distribution apparently just has a bad default.) It sounds like you're using the performance governor for cpufreq scaling, or maybe don't have the correct driver installed at all, which is contributing to heat as well as battery life.

I picked it up mainly for hacking hardware into (for kicks), but I find it works decently as a second laptop, and as a primary laptop last week when my big laptop was out of commission. Can't wait till I get the touch screen in, though.
I have heard that the MSI wind has a slightly larger keyboard than the eee.
It runs a bit more, but I think the HP netbook (mininote/2133) has the best keyboard around, and a higher-resolution (1280x800) display, too. If it weren't for the eminent hackability of the 701, (i.e., if I needed a netbook ), it would be my top pick.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Austria
I wouldn't buy a PSP
Altough I am a gamer I don't use mine because there are not enough good games around that are worth playing.

Awwww. Benson you got me all excited cuz I looked at the HP and found the new red netbook. It's gorgeous. (yes I am female) But I think thats more than I want to spend on a new toy. Altho...my laptop is getting pretty old. I think I could justify a replacement
Whoops..the red one is 300 more than the black. Figures.
Thanks Benson. I would hit the Thank you button but it seems to be....gone....?

Last edited by Willowave; 2008-12-17 at 17:03.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
I have n810, PSP and EEE PC. I would say if you tablet go with the EEE PC unless you want to do some gaming then get the PSP but I take my netbook with me everywhere I go I have a 1000HD with 10 inch screen and 120gb hard drive its great. It does it hot if it runs all the time but I normally use it for a few mins maybe an hour tops. Also if you get one do like i did and remap the arrow up and the shift key the way the keyboard is laid out you will be hitting arrow up instead of shift all the time.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Will the Ubuntu Mobile run on the HP?