Guys, I discovered something better than fring. It's called Nimbuzz. It's neat and tidy. You have the respective icons next to each buddy in the list. So you don't guess on which chat client your buddy is. It supports lots of mobile phones, PC and Web. I like the Buzz feature and the Voice messages. The Voice chat was excellent to Skype and MSN. They have 6.5 Million users. Their main sponsor is the former Skype owner. Try it here:

http://www.nimbuzz.com

More here: http://www.nimbuzz.com/en/download/options

Email them asking for a Nokia N8x0 version.

Last edited by ramkre; 2008-08-06 at 13:49.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
heh, their homepage freaked (as in continually reloaded) on me as i used noscript in my desktop firefox...

Originally Posted by tso View Post
heh, their homepage freaked (as in continually reloaded) on me as i used noscript in my desktop firefox...
Contact their Webmaster...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Great, but what does it matter if they don't have a NIT version? And what is the advantage of e.g. Fring over say Pidgin or RTTcom?

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Great, but what does it matter if they don't have a NIT version? And what is the advantage of e.g. Fring over say Pidgin or RTTcom?
I repeat: it's a neat application.

AFAIK: Pidgin and RTCOM are text chat only while fring adds Voice chat. Nimbuzz gives even more cool stuff (Buzz, voice message... etc)

Why is it a neat application, and how do we ask them to develop a N8x0 version?

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Why is it a neat application, and how do we ask them to develop a N8x0 version?
Definition of a Neat Application:
Is an application that is user-friendly, intuitive and tidy.

(like my definition?)

Send an email to support@nimbuzz.com or post a request on their forum.

Its something but still pretty vague. You could include why you find it user-friendly, intuitive, and tidy. Provide more solid details, both subjective and hard facts. Why is it better (or worse) than Fring? Or other solutions like Pidgin, Bitlbee, and RTComm? If you could provide such information in a non-biased manner such compare (or review) would be useful for other readers who'd like to decide to use either one of these applications, or to consider writing a request to port the Nimbuzz application to N8x0 platform.

Before I decided to ask the Devicescape developers to port Devicescape application to Linux/x86(-64) I first had to use the application on N8x0 (Linux/ARM).

As I don't have time to make a detailed full comparison. I'll only list the extras that Nimbuzz have and fring do not.

Nimbuzz Extras:

- Nimbuzz Buzz (killer feature)
If you are offline. Your buddy can Buzz you and your phone will ring
- Conference call (killer feature)
I tried a conference call with buddies on Nimbuzz, MSN and Skype
- Voice messaging (killer feature)
It works online/offline and from the Widget
- Web Widgets
Use it with Facebook and other social networking providers
- Chat rooms
Chat rooms with people from all over the World
- Location sharing
Your buddy can see where you are on the Map
- Buddies in the list have their chat provider icon next to them. It's clear what network (Skype, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, AIM, etc.) they are on
- Aliases
You can give each buddy your own Alias that will replace his Nickname in the buddy list
- Finally, you can send a picture directly from your phone camera. Nimbuzz will launch the camera, you take the picture and then send it

That's all. I hope I did not miss any other feature. You can download Nimbuzz directly from your phone: m.nimbuzz.com

Enjoy!

Last edited by ramkre; 2008-08-10 at 16:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to ramkre For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Oulu, Finland
When I click the install link, the browser opens a page with this...
[install]
catalogues = Fring; extras
package = fring

[Fring]
name = Fring
uri = http://reg.fring.com/repository/
dist = chinook
components = release

[extras]
name = maemo Extras
uri = http://repository.maemo.org/extras/
components = free

I tried the application manager install on page 3 of this thread and it worked like a charm.

@ramkre
thanks for recommending nimbuzz. I'll send them an email and try to install it.

Edit:
hmmm. I started the app and registered a user name. It then tried to login and the status is always stuck at logging in.
I'm using a WLAN and can use skype and pidgin fine. I don't think its the same problem as the other users were having as they couldn't even get the app to run.
Is anyone else having this problem? The only other thing I can think of is maybe the ISP throttles some P2P apps and maybe they think I'm doing illegal downloads or something. Well a pretty wild guess anyway.
Oh and one other thing I noticed. The app doesn't realise if I am in on or offline mode and doesn't relay the appropriate message.

Edit2:
Ok it works now. It seems the app needs a stronger wifi signal to run than other apps.

Last edited by leke; 2008-09-21 at 13:58.