Active Topics

I am thinking of getting Nokia n900 or Acer Tempo DX900. Thing with Nokia n900 is it doesn't work on Canadian GSM network like Rogers and Fido. Which have same frequency as AT&T.

Acer Tempo DX900 seems to be more of a world phone that works on all frequencies:

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1
GSM 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 2
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100 - SIM 1
I wanted to pre-order Nokia n900 via Nokia USA but a little research and found out it doesn't work on 850/1900 frequency. How the f**K Nokia n900 is a world phone. What a crap. If you want to make a phone like this make sure it works on all frequency. I like all the things about Nokia n900 but frequency is holding me back to buy this phone. Who wants to throw good money at a phone that doesn't work around the world. Data and voice have to work.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Uh someone reported using it on FIDO on this forum...

(as a phone of course, with GSM / EDGE, no 3G until WIND / Vidéotron get their AWS band up)

* Quad-band GSM EDGE 850/900/1800/1900
* WCDMA 900/1700/2100 MHz

Excellent use of the search button and good use of first post.

Sounds to me like the nokia might be a little above your level and you should opt for the acer.

Originally Posted by meme View Post
I am thinking of getting Nokia n900 or Acer Tempo DX900. Thing with Nokia n900 is it doesn't work on Canadian GSM network like Rogers and Fido. Which have same frequency as AT&T.

Acer Tempo DX900 seems to be more of a world phone that works on all frequencies:

I wanted to pre-order Nokia n900 via Nokia USA but a little research and found out it doesn't work on 850/1900 frequency. How the f**K Nokia n900 is a world phone. What a crap. If you want to make a phone like this make sure it works on all frequency. I like all the things about Nokia n900 but frequency is holding me back to buy this phone. Who wants to throw good money at a phone that doesn't work around the world. Data and voice have to work.
Meme, the N900 doesn't work on the *3G* 850/1900 frequencies. It works the GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 just fine and thus is very much a "world phone" (especially since it *does* work on 3G on a major U.S. carrier and soon to be Canadian carrier as well). If having 3G is all-important, then yes...there is an issue here for you regarding the N900. If having the actual device is the most important thing, and "slumming" with EDGE and what wifi you can find is good enough for connectivity then you'd be set with the N900 as well. In fact, you should be able to tether the N900 with an existing 3G phone and have the best of both worlds if 3G is REALLY that important for you. So, there are several scenarios here that are workable until the 1700/2100 3G network gets rolled out up north.

Hope that helps

Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
Meme, the N900 doesn't work on the *3G* 850/1900 frequencies. It works the GSM/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 just fine and thus is very much a "world phone" (especially since it *does* work on 3G on a major U.S. carrier and soon to be Canadian carrier as well). If having 3G is all-important, then yes...there is an issue here for you regarding the N900. If having the actual device is the most important thing, and "slumming" with EDGE and what wifi you can find is good enough for connectivity then you'd be set with the N900 as well. In fact, you should be able to tether the N900 with an existing 3G phone and have the best of both worlds if 3G is REALLY that important for you. So, there are several scenarios here that are workable until the 1700/2100 3G network gets rolled out up north.

Hope that helps

I keep seeing this over and over again. This just sounds like the stupidest idea. Why would anybody carry two cell phones? Well, I can understand if you have a side business and a company provided phone, but other than that, just so you have 3G on your "good" phone???

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
I keep seeing this over and over again. This just sounds like the stupidest idea. Why would anybody carry two cell phones? Well, I can understand if you have a side business and a company provided phone, but other than that, just so you have 3G on your "good" phone???
Again...I point to the caveat of "If 3G is all-important". It's good to have options. Certainly it's not ideal (that's why I switched to T-mobile), but it *is* workable if one needs 3G speeds and 1700/2100 3G isn't available. One can always swap the SIM back and forth as needed. Flexibility = A Good Thing (tm)

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Amsterdam
Maybe the biggest phone producer in the world is.n't really interested in a realitve small and difficult market like North America. In the US Nokia is dependant on providers. Not so in the rest of the world. I pay 20€ / month for phone and streaming internet. You?
But thanks, good to know; I'll take my 6 year old 6021 to the States. It works a lot better there and on more places than a Verizons 70$ / month contract in a US Palm.
Verizon blocks other providers in the US, while my Netherlands KPN contract logs in with all GSM providers in the US.

Last edited by AbelMN; 2009-09-13 at 16:49.

Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post

Hope that helps
A quick question based on this not-so-ideal solution....
I have a AT&T SIM card but its voice + Data.

So if I switch my SIM into the N900, I won't have 3G data on the N95, and vice versa.

So can I get a data only SIM card seperate for the same plan ? Does US ISP's give seperate seperate Voice and Data SIM cards for the same plan ?

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
A quick question based on this not-so-ideal solution....
I have a AT&T SIM card but its voice + Data.

So if I switch my SIM into the N900, I won't have 3G data on the N95, and vice versa.

So can I get a data only SIM card seperate for the same plan ? Does US ISP's give seperate seperate Voice and Data SIM cards for the same plan ?
I suppose in theory you could get an additional data-only line added to your account (normally used with laptop 3g cards) and throw it in the N95 for tethering. I don't know what the net price difference would be though.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
nilchak, not usually, but it won't hurt to ask.