Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
C'mon, man. This is flat out false information.

I appreciate your efforts, but I don't think you understand what 'fragmentation' means.

Each API level brings new functionality, and each new release brings added stability/performance improvements FOR THE ENTIRE PLATFORM. Depending on the app, the developer may choose to target 2.1 because they don't need the features associated with the API level in 2.3 (API level 10). In fact, developers can target 1.6 if they want (API Level 4) if they don't need the classes in higher levels. There are a bunch of apps that do this.

There are also backports. For example, the HC/ICS UI that everyone is so horny about, has been backported as far as Android 2.3 (AFAIK). This means that pretty much everyone has access to ICS apps so long as they don't include API objects exclusive to API Level 14.

It is thus up to the developer to determine what his/her app needs and then release accordingly knowing the market. Were I developing an app tomorrow that didn't need HID Controllers or NFC, I might just develope for the v2.0 API level. But that wouldn't mean my app would run slowly by any stretch.

Android has a HIGH degree of different architectures to support with the OS. This is very different than the single-SKU Apple, or the we-choose-the-hardware-for-you Microsoft strategy. And Android handles the problem of compatibility masterfully given the market. Sure, not every app will be available for you to use in the market if you buy a device, but before you echo the herd with the 'fragmentation' claim based on OS versions numbers, I would first a) understand what you're talking about, and b) get real statistics that demonstrate compatibility across all platforms to find out where devices actually stand.

Yes, ICS was unveiled a week or so ago. But that doesn't mean for an instant that devices released a year ago suddenly stop working with apps, nor does it mean that they will lose relevance in 6 months.
I agree Fragmentation is just hype, the real problem with Android is its questionable openess.

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
I agree Fragmentation is just hype, the real problem with Android is its questionable openess.
Although better, the openess of Maemo is also questionable. That is, in both cases they are open except for some parts that aren't.

For now at least, Android is the 'most open' mobile OS I can use daily on high-end hardware. If anyone knows of something better I'm all ears.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
^ Yes, CC's in the building!

I think Android does do it "quite good" but in reviews, there are hoards of negative reviews about compatibility with their devices. I've experienced this a few times as well. It's no wonder why there are so many updates for Android Apps, most are to fix bugs and compatibility... i mean can so many reviews be false?

I just think if Google did something as radical as introduce a software restriction to Android Market, I think overall it would aid the Android experience and take away some power from the carriers.
Hi my old friend.

Yes, I can appreciate the idea that Google could organize the store a bit better to minimize these effects. On stage at AsiaD, Andy Rubin made claim that the store search was got a major overhaul so perhaps we'll see improvement in the future.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
I think it's not hype, just an idea blown out of proportion without real numbers behind it. It's a catchy idea that people have latched on to when denigrating Android. That's not to say that compatibility isn't an issue, it's just that this issue hasn't been properly quantified.

But I always cede to the cold, hard numbers. If we could determine the number of applications at a particular API level, we could use the OS distribution to determine how many apps are compatible with each release and determine the relevance of a handset.

Kangal raises a good point. The Android Market could better shield users from this incompatibility.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Ok guys I recieved my HTC Flyer and my HTC Scribe digital pen and in fact I'm typing this message one right now. So a few things I noticed.
  • The HTC software enchancements are well thought out and admittedly beautiful looking.
  • The build quality is great and general aesthetics are very good
  • The device fits very easily into large jeans or jacket pocket.
  • The pen feature is not a gimmick, contrary to popular, if you set the pen size to the smallest you take some really accurate drawings and notes. Plus evermore syncronization works perfectly and I can ad my notes to my calendar appointments. Plus the ability to annotate books, documents, and pdf makes it a really useful. In fact I'm going to start using for school for note taking. I will note the palm rejection isn't perfect but it is still more serviceable than a resistive screen or a capacitive stylus. I wish there was a full fledged drawing app, hand writing recognition, and the ability to use the stylus as a replacement for your finger.
  • The cameras aren't amazing but there functional and the front cam works with Skype for video calls.
  • Typing is a dream on it, normally I'm not a fan of virtual keyboards but the shear size of the device plus vibration feedback makes it really nice.
  • The display looks really nice, color saturation is really good plus it is really bright. The screen is perfect for ebook reading.and browsing the web in.landscape mode. The thing bad about the display is how idiocally glossy it is and shows finger prints like there's no tomorrow.I wish manufacturers would use matte Finnish displays again.
  • Honeycomb would be nice but I can live without it.
  • the device has a 1.5ghz processor, while slower in some use cases compared to dual core processor, it is faster is single treaded applications and in terms of user experience it feels faster than all of the honeycomb tablets.
So there you have it the HTC Flyer a simply amazing device. A more in depth review is coming to my blog soon so stayed tooned.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Confederatio Helvetica
Will some good soul tell me why they don't release this freakin' Samsung Stratosphere in Europe!?

First the Droid 3, now this. US only. Is there really so few people in Europe (and elsewhere) who yearn for devices with the physical keyboard!?

The Following User Says Thank You to rentze For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
anyone knows if there are any high-end android with slide keyboard from any vendors?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
anyone knows if there are any high-end android with slide keyboard from any vendors?

http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Slider_SL101
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
Here's the list so far:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=76684

But there is a few additions that I haven't put there yet, I'll make the changes later

Ok to continue with the review of the HTC Flyer, ok so I have used it for a week.
So more things I noticed.
Battery life I get about 7-15 hours of heavy mixed usage which is really good. This varies.
I have successfully replaced my planner, journal, and notebook with my HTC Flyer.
Rooting the device is fairly easy you pretty much tweak a few setting and plug into your computer, I haven't finished rooting the device because I haven't ordered a microsd card yet, but I unlocked the bootloader.
Showed it to my friends and they loved it, they were fascinated by its functionality. They love the size and pen just like I do.
To those who say tablet cameras are useless well there were several this week in class when I didn't have a camera and it was useful. Also when girl wanted to take a picture with me the front cam was useful.
I threw an aquarium live wallpaper on it it put people in a trance.
The speakers are really loud and sound awesome, despite being made by company that's known for such poor sound components.
I wonder any apps you guys recommend that I try out.

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy