Active Topics

Hmmm, I already do plenty of things that might shorten the life of my N9, like overclocking, using it in juggling acts, etc.

This tweak would be par for the course.

People keep talking about mtd4 NAND-FLASH partition wearing out, anyway to tell if that happens?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Well, flash memory characteristics are such that a byte value can be written to any location but when a byte location needs to be zeroed, it has to be done in "chunks" or erasepages where each page is several kilobytes in size.

This means that each time a single memory location changes, the whole page needs to be copied to another page (and then only the changing byte is changed) and after that the old page is ready to be erased.
Each page can only ever be erased a number ot times, something aroung 10k, before it wears out so that some bytes are either stuck to one or zero.

Because swap memory faces lots of write/erase cycles when the device starts swapping, it will start to wear the erasepages at speed.

The balancing mechanisms in the flash memory lock out the "burned" erase pges, which means that the more get burned, the faster is the rate that the rest of the pages start cycling, and thus burning ever faster and faster.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
@rainisto and other geeks:
if we just repack system-services package to include modified .conf file and then install it via inception, will it work on stock kernel devices? it will automatically remake all aegis hashes as signed system update package installed.
Am i right?
And then if we want to revert it we can just reinstall system-services from nokia repository.

Please confirm this or not.

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
In order to revert you need to install your custom package with com.nokia.maemo-origin, and not by default inception com.nokia.maemo/local-origin. But yes custom package will work on stock devices if you keep that limitation in mind.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following User Says Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
well yes, downloading original package to apt cache and incepting it will work

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 86 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Turkey
RM696-21-3_PR_001:~# accli -I |grep tcb-sign
aegis-enabler::tcb-sign <--- If grep doesn't find this line then you have to STOP and not go further.
what can i do bro if grep doesn't find? here is output

Code:
~ # opensh
sh: opensh: not found
~ # cd /home/user/MyDocs/Documents/
/home/user/MyDocs/Documents # dpkg -i opensh.de
b
Package opensh has package signature (origin '')
Selecting previously deselected package opensh.
(Reading database ... 45983 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking opensh (from opensh.deb) ...
aegis-installing opensh (from '')
Setting up opensh (1.00) ...
/home/user/MyDocs/Documents # opensh
BusyBox v1.20.0.git (MeeGo 3:1.20-0.2+0m8) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
/home/user/MyDocs/Documents # accli -l |grep tc
b-sign
accli: option requires an argument -- 'l'
/home/user/MyDocs/Documents # accli -I |grep tc
b-sign
/home/user/MyDocs/Documents # aegis-enabler::tc
b-sign
sh: aegis-enabler::tcb-sign: not found
/home/user/MyDocs/Documents #
Edit: solved,using openmode kernel+aegis-installer-hack. after this i get the output which is requeres

Last edited by TonyUkuk; 2013-11-04 at 13:46.

Is there any way to completely disable swap?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by gipawu View Post
Is there any way to completely disable swap?
/sbin/swapoff /dev/ramzswap0

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 109 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ India
i recently started using mtd4 for swap. Will this cause major problems in the long run?
How do these mtd devices work? as in is this mtd4 a partition of a bigger flash storage or a separate device altogether. So even if swapping wears it out, will the whole flash storage be unusable or only mtd4 and i can stop swapping there and keep using the n9 like before?

The Following User Says Thank You to tioubxancur For This Useful Post: