Active Topics

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
Sorry guys but this is N900 fanboyism par exellence. I also have a N900 since it came out and the Touchscreen Response is compared to other Devices also from last year really not good.

I also would wish that there would be a way maybe software driven to improve this so i can touch a button and dont need to press it.. But to tell this guy Stuff like did you remove the protector plastic or did you clean the screen is like to lough about him..

And yes i have a Ipod touch 2gen its nearly 3 Years old and this is what i call touch.. So to ask directly is the Touch Sensetivity limited by Hardware or is there a way to improve this from Software Side?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crown77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
So are we talking about surface of touchscreen or responsiveness of OS? Or something else?

Originally Posted by slender View Post
So are we talking about surface of touchscreen or responsiveness of OS? Or something else?
Overall Touchscreen Response to move things,browse, click everything which involves touch response.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by augustya View Post
Overall Touchscreen Response to move things,browse, click everything which involves touch response.
So we are talking about Maemo OS interaction with touchscreen and finger on it.

If so then I recommend on searching bug reports and threads about too low FPS in menus and tearing issues. Sadly this kind of things will be fixed in Meego. Also as expected (at least from me) on device that is doing what user commands it to do (this includes misbehaving apps): Some stuttering is not completely avoidable but of course it should be avoided as much as possible. Meaning that when running multiple apps on this amount of ram things start to happen depending on what apps user is running :|

Also one thing that might make N900 slow down for moment daily is apt-get(daily update that reports it result with exclamation mark in status bar) running in background on default configuration once in 24h and imo it pretty much stutters whole system while running. This of course should not happen :| Only way to avoid this daily heavy loading of CPU is to make update check cycle as long as possible
http://wiki.maemo.org/Customizing_Ma..._Updates_Check

.edit
Tip for using resistive touchscreen: Use only very tip of your finger. I pretty much use my index finger nail (as dov explains below) when using this touchscreen. All the people who have tried N900 pretty much are first annoyed because it doesn´t response to iPhone like touching. (And to those TMO idiots who are not able to read my text, In this paragraph I have not said that N900 is good or bad. I´m just telling my usage experience and try to help other people.)

..edit
Also Tracker seems to be one big pain in *** of some people. Search and learn.

Last edited by slender; 2010-10-21 at 08:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Curl your finger so that only the right side of the nail of your right hand index finger (left side of left index finger if you are lefthanded) touches the screen, and use that as a stylus. I even regularly cut my finger nail so that the right side of the nail extends a tiny bit. Works great on a resistive screen and also reduces the amount of finger grease on the screen.

The Following User Says Thank You to dov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
thank you slender for this Answer especially for the Update customizeing Tip. I hope with Meego we maybe have a better Response and Touchscreen Sesetivity one Day.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by crown77 View Post
I also would wish that there would be a way maybe software driven to improve this so i can touch a button and dont need to press it.
it is impossible with the hardware. but in the same time stylus is next to impossible with iphones and similar..... (and no resistive vs capacitive war, please)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by crown77 View Post
Sorry guys but this is N900 fanboyism par exellence. I also have a N900 since it came out and the Touchscreen Response is compared to other Devices also from last year really not good.

I also would wish that there would be a way maybe software driven to improve this so i can touch a button and dont need to press it.. But to tell this guy Stuff like did you remove the protector plastic or did you clean the screen is like to lough about him..

And yes i have a Ipod touch 2gen its nearly 3 Years old and this is what i call touch.. So to ask directly is the Touch Sensetivity limited by Hardware or is there a way to improve this from Software Side?
If I misunderstood you, I'm sorry here. But please be a bit more open-minded . Just because you are used to i-series touch screens doesn't mean N900 screen is not good.
It's like driving a Ferrari on an off-road and saying Ferrari is not good. Every device has its best aspect of use.

I can use my n900 with tiny pressure applied from my beautiful finger nails that's what I would call superb responsive and sensitive (superb precision is a big plus). Unlike i-series touch screen that i have to use my fat finger tip and miss-touch something all the time because the precision is very poor.

Because I like n900 screen better, does it make i-series touch screen not good?? NO. it's good at what it's supposed to do.
I think n900 is best with it's screen.

PS: have you ever tried using stylus or your nail on n900? you'll be surprised how responsive, sensitive, and precise it is.

Last edited by Generic; 2010-10-21 at 11:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to Generic For This Useful Post:
This happens with all new N900's just polish it with the wipe. Its the sticky stuff from the screen protector.

After a few days this will clear up.

My N900 screen is much more responsive and smooth to touch than my iPhone, both of the same age, using a screen protector on neither.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Generic View Post
It's like driving a Ferrari on an off-road and saying Ferrari is not good. Every device has its best aspect of use.
or with a porsche in finland between november and april with the exactly same roads that are there 24/7/365. first of all appropriate tires would cost a lot (over 2000 eur?) and still driving would be insanely hard with 400+hp, 600+Nm to rear wheels....
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search