Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Shift+Left doesn't seem to perform any action in the browser for me, neither in MicroB nor QML Browser.
(...)
I can add a 'forward' button to the toolbar (next to the 'back' button). I think the textfield width would still be acceptable, at least once loading has finished and the 'stop' button is hidden.
Yes, I've messed it hard, it was about shift+backspace inside text field, while writing something (see below). I understand that you can't change it per-application

As for forward button, it is exactly my reasoning, I don't think it would hurt address bar length too much.

Alternatively - is possible - thing like holding shift and clicking back one the UI = forward could work too, without making address bar any shorter.

Shift+Backspace doesn't seem to do anything for me in MicroB
In fact, you're both right here. In MicroB, fullscreen, shift+backspace does nothing (opens address bar in my case, but it may be related to custom hardware keyboard settings). Unless, when you're writing something inside text field, where it act as "back".

Hoever, in MicroB outside fullscreen, it indeed act as "forward".

Which is complete nonsense, as outside of fullscreen, you already have UI buttons, so forward could be just there, this or other way. Where it is needed most (fullscreen), it doesn't work, as you've noticed. Not to mention that damn shift+backspace in text field = back, which is just... cruel.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2014-08-04 at 00:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
[OT]
Shift+Left doesn't seem to perform any action in the browser for me, neither in MicroB nor QML Browser. Backspace goes back in both applications.
As expected.

I can add a 'forward' button to the toolbar (next to the 'back' button). I think the textfield width would still be acceptable, at least once loading has finished and the 'stop' button is hidden.
Absolutely no objections

Shift+Backspace doesn't seem to do anything for me in MicroB (nor in QML Browser). I'm happy to use that shortcut for the 'forward' button, so long as noone objects.
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
In fact, you're both right here. In MicroB, fullscreen, shift+backspace does nothing (opens address bar in my case, but it may be related to custom hardware keyboard settings). Unless, when you're writing something inside text field, where it act as "back".

Hoever, in MicroB outside fullscreen, it indeed act as "forward".

Which is complete nonsense, as outside of fullscreen, you already have UI buttons, so forward could be just there, this or other way. Where it is needed most (fullscreen), it doesn't work, as you've noticed. Not to mention that damn shift+backspace in text field = back, which is just... cruel.
And this I just do not understand.
backspace as well as shift-backspace works well for me. In full screen mode and with button bar the same.
In a text field backspace just deletes and shift-backspace also.
[/OT]

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by xes View Post
While following the stock browser UI (that i like but i think it could be better), i hope there will be a place to customize things that should follow the users preferences like is possible in most of the existing browsers: a toolbar with customizable buttons and submenu to aggregate functions to free some space.on the screen.
Then, while in full screen mode, the back button could have the same behavior of the full screen trasparent switch.
I don't have any plans for such customisation options, because the development time is too great. Customisable UI is just about the biggest hassle of all, and QML is not really suited to dynamically creating/deleting UI elements.

However, in version 0.5.3 the QML files are shipped with the application (installed to /opt/qml-browser/qml), so you are free to change anything you want there.

Now the "add bookmark" button is lost and in portrait mode the toolbar is useless.
I removed it to make way for the 'forward' button. I'm personally happy with it either way, and since I don't have enough time to satisfy every individual UI preference, I simply give you the tools to do it yourself.

I have a strange issue that happens sometimes when a page tries to open a link into a new page: the page remains empty and the status seems to have already completed the page load.
It sounds like webkit is having a problem with that particular page. At some point I will try to add some error reporting in such cases (I'll have to check the APIs).

Double click to zoom looses the position inside the page.
Zoom needs fine tuning (as stated in the first post).

Switching tasks, the qml-browser has no preview, just a trasparent window.
This happens when first closing a browser window and is caused by deleting of the QWebView. I don't know if it can be fixed (calling QWidget::update() on the remaining windows might do it). Performing any action that causes the remaining windows to be re-painted will return things to normal.

My website

GitHub

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Sohil876 View Post
add bookmark for some reason not working correctly in portrait mode, shows no fields just a blank greyed out area.
This is a problem with the Dialog component in Qt Components Hildon. The content is not visible in portrait, only the buttons.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Two small suggestions related to fine-tuning zoom:

1. Adding possibility to do it via volume buttons just like in microB (obviously).

2. When using swirl to zoom gesture, everything seems to be re-drawed constantly(?). In more resource-heavy pages, it makes zooming this way *extremely* laggy/delayed.

If I'm not mistaken, microB just quasi-resizes the already shown content in real time when you zoom - allowing you to calibrate how big/small you want things to be - then redraw only, after swirl gesture is ended. This way, it works much more efficiently.

BTW, the same apply to zooming with volume keys, when that become a thing.
---

...and one general suggestion:

3. The description in repositories still says that qml-browser is a qml showcase, rather than something useful for daily usage. I think it should be changed now, considering how many people discover things by browsing repos, instead of TMO.

Cheers,
/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Two small suggestions related to fine-tuning zoom:

1. Adding possibility to do it via volume buttons just like in microB (obviously).
This is planned (I have already added the option in settings code), but I haven't completed the key event handling in the components yet, so I'm still not certain where I will implement the volume key handling (application side or components side). By default, Qt applications don't receive volume key events, it requires some boiler-plate code in the application.

2. When using swirl to zoom gesture, everything seems to be re-drawed constantly(?). In more resource-heavy pages, it makes zooming this way *extremely* laggy/delayed.
That behaviour is defined in QWebView (or not defined, as the case may be). By default, QWidget updates itself when it receives a resize event. QWebView (which inherits QWidget) probably follows the same behaviour. I will take a look at the QWebView code and see if there is a way to reduce the frequency of the re-painting.

3. The description in repositories still says that qml-browser is a qml showcase, rather than something useful for daily usage. I think it should be changed now, considering how many people discover things by browsing repos, instead of TMO.
I have been thinking about that. I left it as it is to help manage expectations. I will change it for the next update.

My website

GitHub

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ P town
Does it support text wrapping (like Opera mobile)?

Originally Posted by sLumPia View Post
Does it support text wrapping (like Opera mobile)?
QWebView has a 'zoomTextOnly' property, but I'm not certain that it wraps the text. It probably does, as it's hard to imagine what else it could do.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
QMLBrowser works like a charm using mouse pointer on vncserver or tv-out and bluetooth mouse!

Thanks, I can uninstall Opera now

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enne30 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
which version of qt webkit it uses ? is it 4.8 its good and can it be upgraded ?

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:

Tags
browser, components, hildon, maemo 5, web browser