Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
CPU clock has no play in video processing. DSP is doing all the work.
Hmm, yeah, I'm kinda confusing the whole system-on-chip thing here. Sorry bout that.

Still, the whole thing is manufactured at 45nm, would stand to reason that this would let the DSP run a bit faster...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Hmm, yeah, I'm kinda confusing the whole system-on-chip thing here. Sorry bout that.

Still, the whole thing is manufactured at 45nm, would stand to reason that this would let the DSP run a bit faster...
The reason the 65nm version runs slower is due to heat and power consumption; remember, they are mobile devices. OMAP 3430 is really capable. Just go to youtube and type "droid 1.3GHz." Yeah, it can be clocked at 1.3

Posts: 313 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ USA

N9 DSP can run at 800 MHz vs. 430 for N900. I think the limitation is HD decode software on DSP which isn't fully optimized.

The Following User Says Thank You to dsawhney For This Useful Post:
So strange with people, First off why do you want 1080p playback when your screen isn't 1080p resolution?

Also, 720p plays fine on my n9.. infact it's super smooth... also played well on my sensation, asus transformer, hd7 and so on.... phones have no problem playing 720p weather it's streaming or not..

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by frankd14321 View Post
So strange with people, First off why do you want 1080p playback when your screen isn't 1080p resolution?

Also, 720p plays fine on my n9.. infact it's super smooth... also played well on my sensation, asus transformer, hd7 and so on.... phones have no problem playing 720p weather it's streaming or not..
It means some people will require having 2 same videos at different resolutions / codec in order to play at its best quality. (e.g. 1 file for DLNA to Full HD TV and 1 low resolution for the phone) It also means you have to spend time encoding videos when its unnecessary on many other phones.

Only basic 720p videos play okay on the N9/N900 due to hardware limitations. It doesn't play most higher quality 720p videos commonly found on the net. (even 720p youtube videos) For some, all this doesn't matter. For some, it can get annoying enough to change phones.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
It means some people will require having 2 same videos at different resolutions / codec in order to play at its best quality. (e.g. 1 file for DLNA to Full HD TV and 1 low resolution for the phone) It also means you have to spend time encoding videos when its unnecessary on many other phones.
Then again, re-encoding a HD video for the proper resolution of the phone's screen can result in increased video quality, as the phone doesn't need to do the work of fetching lots of extra data when reading the video file only to throw it away when resizing the video to fit the screen. In short, re-encoding a video to the right size allows you to increase the bit rate. Even on a phone that can play the higher-resolution video.

Only basic 720p videos play okay on the N9/N900 due to hardware limitations. It doesn't play most higher quality 720p videos commonly found on the net. (even 720p youtube videos)
Encoding a video in a "baseline profile" H.264 format means that it uses fewer compression techniques, not that it is of lower quality. Much of the 720p and higher video available on the net is of terrible quality, even when using the more advanced compression techniques, simply because they've been so heavily compressed. (480p DVDs have a higher bitrate than most of the "high-quality" HD video you find on the net!)

There should be improved H.264 decoder in PR 1.2 update - needed mainly for H.264 HIGH profile (Base should be OK even now) ...

Last edited by jaripi; 2012-01-17 at 22:32.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by jaripi View Post
There should be improved H.264 decoder in PR 1.2 update - needed mainly for H.264 HIGH profile (Base should be OK even now) ...
Improved H.264 decoder, & Main/High profiles are coming with 1.2, source for this?

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Encoding a video in a "baseline profile" H.264 format means that it uses fewer compression techniques, not that it is of lower quality. Much of the 720p and higher video available on the net is of terrible quality, even when using the more advanced compression techniques, simply because they've been so heavily compressed. (480p DVDs have a higher bitrate than most of the "high-quality" HD video you find on the net!)
You can't compare bitrate of DVD which uses MPEG2 and HD video which usually uses MPEG4, e.g. for the same 480p, MPEG2 will require higher bitrate to achieve the same quality as MPEG4 or H.264, to say the other way, at the same bit rate MPEG4 or H.264 gives much better quality than MPEG2.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Improved H.264 decoder, & Main/High profiles are coming with 1.2, source for this?
One source for that, some I can remember, was "Konttori blog":

http://konttoristhoughts.blogspot.co...l#comment-form

KonttoriOct 19, 2011 12:53 PM: "1.2 has decoder enhancements for h264."

The Following User Says Thank You to jaripi For This Useful Post: