Active Topics

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by overlord View Post
Throw 1,5 million immigrants in any economically weak nation and it will crumble. Not looking for excuses. It's just a fact.
I'm not an expert in economics or finances, but I cannot understand how could immigrants or hot climate make some country (or person) to spend more money than it makes.

Country finance minister should know how much income country has (taxes collected and other income) and on long run should not spend more (pension, public sector, defense, etc.).

And with all immigrants Greece has still very high GDP per capita, so I guess its economy doesn't crumble.

My opinion about current Greece (or any other country) situation - it's all about cash flow. If country is spending more money than it makes, it can either increase income or lower spending.

And this is probably not Greece financial bailout but rather German, France, Swiss and other banks bailout. Greece dept to those banks will be simply replaced by dept to other EU countries.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Greece
Hot climate was just a joke... Although it really is extremely hard to work in mid-July...

And as far as the immigrants are concerned... Easy... Millions of Euros leaving the country...

The problem is not what the government should do right now... But that they've stolen in a course of 35 years more than our economy could handle...

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Immigrants normaly don't take money it gives money. It depends what you do with them. Sweden got more that 1,5 million immigrants and we are far from crumbeling. I think the Irak war gave us about 20 000 more imigrants within a year. (Sweden was the country in europe that took the most from Irak). Also the people in Sweden are getting older.. so we need a lot more immigrants than we have now.

Sure at the beginning it might cost little but later this immigrants start working and pay taxes. So if immigrants are your problem then you are doing something really really wrong.

I am not sure but Greece are or have been a tourist economy. Meaning a big income have been from tourist visiting the country. Now with the Euro things have become more expensive and less tourist are drawn to come. Thus more ppl in Greece are unemployed and the state lose tax income.

Edit: Ohh.. and try working when it is 30 degrees below zero outside

Last edited by AlMehdi; 2010-05-07 at 07:42.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by DeargDoom View Post
That is an admirably philosophical attitude youre are taking with other peoples pensions. Considering that German pensions will take an enormous hit if Greece and the other PIGS default, what reaction would you find most appropriate from Germans nearing retirement?

A shrug of the shoulders and a pang of regret that the market didnt judge them productive enough? Or anger at these feckless foreigners ruining pensions they had worked so hard to build up?

This chart neatly illustrates why Europe has no choice but to pay up, Europes Web of Debt. Its mutually assured destruction.

Finally, I think its a bit weak to complain that in 2008 no-one knew that anything was amiss. There were many well publicised warnings about various PIGS economies (I am no expert on Greece but Ireland and Spain were well flagged as experiencing a bubble).

Surely this is not the forum for people to whine about not having done sufficient research.
I am sorry but I wasn't philosophical. I was only practical.

A bit like I can't buy porsche, lamborghini, ferrari and köeningsegg because I don't have money. Where the money to pension system then appears if not from overall productivity?!?

And you totally missed my point with 2008. Now all are referring that the current situation was known already in 2008. Warning signs are everywhere all the time. If you react to each, you probably die to stress in couple months...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Who said we are not productive? Maybe not as much as Germany or the Nordic countries but still... Anyhow I would love to see you being productive with 45degrees Celcius during summertime... I hope you know what summertime means in Finland, do you...?
no one said that. I only said you can pay pension in ratio to productivity. You can do otherwise temporarily, but someone has to pay the bill.

Yes I know summertime (worked in block house smashing concrete in summer, temperature was somewhere between 30-40 degrees and visibility about half meters), dont you know what winter in Finland means? -30C and still some jobs must be done outside...
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
Immigrants normaly don't take money it gives money. It depends what you do with them. Sweden got more that 1,5 million immigrants and we are far from crumbeling. I think the Irak war gave us about 20 000 more imigrants within a year. (Sweden was the country in europe that took the most from Irak). Also the people in Sweden are getting older.. so we need a lot more immigrants than we have now.

Sure at the beginning it might cost little but later this immigrants start working and pay taxes. So if immigrants are your problem then you are doing something really really wrong.

I am not sure but Greece are or have been a tourist economy. Meaning a big income have been from tourist visiting the country. Now with the Euro things have become more expensive and less tourist are drawn to come. Thus more ppl in Greece are unemployed and the state lose tax income.

Edit: Ohh.. and try working when it is 30 degrees below zero outside
exactly. immigrants are only lousy excuse for the Greeks.

Yesterday in a local talk show a greek guy suggested they should shoot every immigrant. In civilised states no sane person would suggest anything like that.....
Google Custom Search

(The following comment goes to ossipena's statement) Haha! I almost split my sides with laughter here...! Again NOT the same situation at all... And now let me elaborate on how many money does Germany owe to us primarily for reparations and what WWII meant to Greece's economy...

Firstly, Germany owes 275 Million Euros as reparations for World War I. Now, as of the Paris Peace Conference (1946) Germany was to pay reparations to Greece for different reasons, but all as a result from what took place during WWII... Here we go: a) 5 Billion Euros for all the damage caused during Greece's neutrality right before WWII, b) 51 Billion Euros as reparations for WWII, c) 14 Billion Euros for the Occupational Loan with which Germany charged the unable to react Bank of Greece in 1942... These sum up to a total 70 Billion Euros (today's values) without taking into account possible interest rates that Greece could apply. From these 70 Billion Euros Germany gave to Greece 115 million German Marks in 1960. Not included are restorations for victims as well as the destruction of great part of our archaeological and religious treasures! None knows for sure the exact amount of gold stolen but taking into account that Germany charged us with a huge loan, most of our gold must have been drained... When the German occupation was over Greece was left to misery. 900.000 victims, 35% forests destroyed, 90% of industries destroyed, almost total annihilation of communications - roads - railway - maritime. Greece now had a galloping inflation, about 15million times the one we had before the war! These are NOT excuses! These are facts. When we Greeks initiate conversations about who's to blame, we all blame our government and ourselves... We never say "damn you Germans and your reparations"...
yes, you just went to the corner to suck your thumbs.

what Finland did? paid the 300 million gold dollars (~$400M at 1944.. it would mean something like $4964M) to soviet union. Germans burned Lapland, all major cities bombed (obivously no help from soviet union...).

Greece was among winners so they got far more better deals with reparations. Finland was a looser.

And keep in mind that according to you Greeks are screwed because they didn't get all the ridiculous sums from Germany, Finns are doing ok and they paid $5B to soviet union....

e: $5B = about 4 billion €
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2010-05-07 at 09:43.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
You do know that war is good for the economy? Sure the human sacrafice is enormous but so are the profit for the businesses. There will be a hugh build up that would make more profit than what ever was taken before. So the time that have been after the WWII should have made Greece richer not poorer. Not initially but after a while... So it is impossible blaming WWII for Greeces situation now.

The Olumpics surly made a big chunk in the states purse though..

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
No politics please.

(I would love to discuss with you!)

Closed Thread