Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Texrat i am not in a war with you and if you actually look at some of your posts i have actually thanked you as i agree with what your saying is that not a sign of being equal ?
Certainly no war going on here. I'm just asking that you quit assuming any explanation of "the way things are" is some sort of "trumpet blowing" for Nokia. Some people try to see two or more sides to an issue. No crime in that (usually ).

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Certainly no war going on here. I'm just asking that you quit assuming any explanation of "the way things are" is some sort of "trumpet blowing" for Nokia. Some people try to see two or more sides to an issue. No crime in that (usually ).
Maybe i have been a bit rough on you and if thats the case then please dont take offence personally ok its just that i also agree with many of your topics and posts but for you to tear me off is confusing to say the least.
I just replied to your post on the other thread if you look and i am totally in agreeance there.

No no-- you haven't been rough on me at all abill_uk. Even if you were I'm very thick skinned (and will get more defensive about slights toward the community than myself anyway).

I'm just talking about a general approach here, a dialog issue.

But no need to belabor that. Let's return to the subject.

There was a MeeGo Technical Steering Group (TSG) meeting last week that followed the Linux Foundation conference, and many people asked questions based on talks by Ari and Imad. Unfortunately I didn't make it, but other key members did.

Text here: http://trac.tspre.org/meetbot/meego-...-21-18.58.html

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-04-26 at 05:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
@ Texrat
That was indeed interesting to read and it looks like they will certainly have the architecture completed as Imad said...: I think November is to have the Architecture done, so indeed we all have good things to look forward too.
PS try and make the next meeting so you can personally have some input there hehe.

PS try and make the next meeting so you can personally have some input there hehe.
My desire is to attend every meeting. Unfortunately they occur during my work hours and it's not always possible to take time out for them. However, I don't let that stop me from using other channels to provide input. Neither should any concerned person.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
If you read enough of my posts they are mainly to do with the sham way Nokia are treating people especially with this serious usb problem which i think by now should be grasped by Nokia as a serious fault, incidently i would love to see the replacement they are sending out.
Software is just part of it all but my point is that this community will give Nokia a huge huge insight into future developments so when Nokia start to be fair to all there customers i will stop.
My gripe is only directed at Nokia and some on here who will just NOT accept Nokia is in the wrong in any way.
No, i didn't read the part about usb issues. I was mainly commenting on your lack of understanding of opensource in the related posts.

@wmarone: that and lack of competitive features against pda (decent pim suite, data sync ability), decent marketing, etc...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
No, i didn't read the part about usb issues. I was mainly commenting on your lack of understanding of opensource in the related posts.

@wmarone: that and lack of competitive features against pda (decent pim suite, data sync ability), decent marketing, etc...
Oh dear this is actually getting quite boring now accusing me of not knowing the meaning of opensource, for your information i have been involved in development many years and am very much in the know about opensource but i will tell you that no way you could explain in one article on here because its actually a very complex issue so i will point everyone that needs to know as a starting point to this page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_software

Please can we drop this now as i think i have proved my point.
Stick to the main issue of the thread and enjoy what is happening with Ari and what he is achieving with Meego.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2010-04-26 at 06:46.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
That's the point of open source, Linux, and the GPL. Nokia benefits from using GPL code created by others. And all those others benefit as Nokia continues to contribute code back.
Let me extend on this. As an OSS developer I actually *want* other people to use and extend that code in accordance with the license. And since Maemo is all Linuxy, there is actually no reason NOT to do that. A piece of OSS code that nobody used might have just as well been guarded by a 1000 lawyers, the end result is the same. It’s about shifting the focus from ’how to prevent others from benefiting’ to ’how to benefit my project’. Call me naive, but I still very much prefer a project of mine succeed than somebody else’s to fail - and those two things are much less contradictory than one might think at first.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Let me extend on this. As an OSS developer I actually *want* other people to use and extend that code in accordance with the license. And since Maemo is all Linuxy, there is actually no reason NOT to do that.
Indeed. One of the things I always use when publicly talking about Maemo is an answer to "why do you give away all this work for free?". The answer is that I'm extremely selfish.

I want a cool device, which does what I want. The Maemo devices are the closest to that which exists right not, so I try to make them better for me.

Now, how can I do that? I can raise bugs, I can write software, I can help developers and foster a community. All these things produce more developers, more users, more applications, a larger community and a higher quality product. It even becomes a self-sustaining cycle.

All of this is of direct benefit to me, personally. The Maemo community isn't giving Nokia anything for free, we're working collaboratively with each other - and Nokia - to benefit everyone. Pure capitalism. Pure selfishness. It just looks a bit hippy at first glance :-)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: