I have set up mmc booting with penguinbait's tools and it works ok but I am getting weird issues sometimes. What I did try, was to:

1. Extract rootfs.jffs2 from the firmware flash image
2. Mount the rootfs.jffs2 on my linux box
3. USB - Plug in the n800 booted from flash and mkfs.ext2 the mmc system partition (/dev/mmcblk0p2 in this case)
4. Use tar (from my desktop linux box) to clone mounted rootfs.jffs2 to the mmc system partition
5. Copy backed up fstab (with swap entry) to the cloned system partition
6. Unmount everything then reboot.

Unfortunately, upon selecting mmc boot entry n800 resets after a while and shows the menu... (all I am getting is the booting from ... screen for a moment and then reset)

is there anything that has to be modified to enable booting from such cloned partitions ?

(such as perhaps some device nodes? )

UPDATE: recreating dev entries does not help. It still resets...

thanks in advance.

Last edited by spirytsick; 2008-08-13 at 11:05. Reason: update

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
You are at least third person to report such issue. Try same solutions (mount jffs2 read only)
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...velopers/39493
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...479#post192479

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Thanks Fanoush. Looks like I have to move my lazy fat *** and do some searching before I start asking questions Thanks a lot in advance!!!. I will give it a try straight away!

Well it does not work in my case. I have extracted rootfs.jffs2 again, mounted it with -o ro switch and cloned the filesystem, but it does not work It hangs in exactly the same place ... with the message booting from immc2 (mmblk0p2 ext2) and then reboots after a while (without the usual dsme led flashes). Will keep on investigating...

UPDATE: I have tried to check what is going wrong by starting usb networking (enabling persistent connection while booting in the process) but the moment I select to boot from mmc2, usb net connection is severed.

Last edited by spirytsick; 2008-08-13 at 12:24. Reason: update

Originally Posted by spirytsick View Post
UPDATE: I have tried to check what is going wrong by starting usb networking (enabling persistent connection while booting in the process) but the moment I select to boot from mmc2, usb net connection is severed.
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...910#post137910

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

That was done, just a line to uncomment in bootmenu.sh (that's what I meant by persistent connection in earlier post)

also, nothing suspicious in kernel log on both sides while doing the copy? I suppose you run the cloning as root?

Originally Posted by spirytsick View Post
That was done, just a line to uncomment in bootmenu.sh (that's what I meant by persistent connection in earlier post)
I see. Either this is OS2008 thing (last time I tried it was with OS2007) or you have usb host mode flasher flag enabled or maybe MENU_X_USBMODE item set? When exactly it dies? It still works when you go back to menu and wait some time and dies only when you select the item? Maybe the usb storage kicks in instead of usbnet?

What happens is. I press home for the usb networking. I then telnet to tablet, can do the usual, dmesg, etc... then I press Menu key and get back to the boot selector. I still can dmesg, etc... if I select the flash as a booting option, then it works until the desktop loads when the usb storage kicks in (which was always like that anyway) but if I select the mmc2 as a booting option I get kicked out of telnet straight away. I do not even get the blue bar indicator just message on the top of the screen about booting from immc2 etc... then after about 5 sec the tablet resets (no dsme related led flashing)
and I am presented with the boot menu again. Strangely, after such reset I am unable to boot from flash as well and the unit simply switches off mid boot. When I do the clean start (battery out then in) then the n800 will boot from the flash without problems.

Last edited by spirytsick; 2008-08-13 at 12:55. Reason: spelling

1. What is the EXACT tar command line you are using?
2. Have you tried rsync (at least once)
3. What does diff -rq <jffs> <ext2> show?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tz1 For This Useful Post: