Posts: 88 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Solingen; Germany
Hello,

I'm working for the Kivy project making Ubuntu packages and it wasn't working with my N900 for a while.

I tried to build Kivy against OpenGL ES (which worked) and OpenGL (MESA) which gave compilitation errors, because of out-dated GL.h headers.

See: https://github.com/kivy/kivy/issues/1029

Kivy is a great crossplatform framework and works well on my Android tablet, but for my future project I would need something which is more handy.
As you find in the issue report I wrote I would try it with Ubuntu on my Phone, but I read that Ubuntu on N900 is now dead, as some people started using ArchLinux now.

So, first of all, is someone interested helping me getting Kivy working on maemo5 or do you think dual-booting into another OS plus using Kivy there would make more sense?

Btw. the Kivy project hasn't invested any time so far making packages for ArchLinux..

Regards,
Thomas-Karl Pietrowski

- http://kivy.org/#home

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thopiekar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Community is involved in too many projects of same kind at a time why?? Why not focus on a single one that would be more fesiable as the output will be great

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
Community is involved in too many projects of same kind at a time why?? Why not focus on a single one that would be more fesiable as the output will be great
How is this a project of the same kind as any others? I would love to get Kivy working on my N900!

The Following User Says Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
^^dn get me wrong m a linux noob i was saying that there are projects like ubuntu archlinux nit fedora gento etc in which a considerable amound of recources have been put. What if all work for a single say ubuntu or archanyway whats kivy

Well I already made packages for Ubuntu even armhf, but you can't compare Ubuntu with Maemo.
It would be great getting Kivy working here, but I'm lost with OpenGL on Maemo as you can see in the issue report at github.com.

Hope someone can help out getting it work

Originally Posted by thopiekar View Post
Well I already made packages for Ubuntu even armhf, but you can't compare Ubuntu with Maemo.
It would be great getting Kivy working here, but I'm lost with OpenGL on Maemo as you can see in the issue report at github.com.

Hope someone can help out getting it work
If I understand correctly, Kivy can use OpenGL/ES? There is a package for the N900 with a tutorial for OpenGLES development on the N900 (using SDL_gles): http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=49607

Thats right! Kivy is using OpenGL ES on Android via python-for-android. The guy who's working on the OpenGL code already put some effort as he made a ssh connection to my N900 and tried to make it working, but, as he says in the issue report on github, the OpenGL headers are out-dated (fix needed) and the OpenGL ES build which I made using scratchbox is acting weired.. so someone who knows OpenGL ES on maemo well could solve that problem

The last days I tried to find the reason why I wasn't working and I think I've got a clue. I wondered why libGL.so.1 was needed after compiling Kivy against GLESv2. Well, it wasn't Kivy which wanted to load libGL.so.1 (even the -dev package was not installed on scratchbox), it is one of it's dependencies (I think SDL or even pygame) which needed libGL.so.1 and not libGLESv2. Thus, when importing Kivy to my code, OpenGL and OpenGL ES were loaded at the same time.

I decided now to rebuild everything (python, SDL, pygame and kivy) in a prefix. Got almost everything together, just smpeg is doing trouble, while ./configure'ing. It will be the last dependency for pygame which is missing in my prefix at the moment

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
The last days I tried to find the reason why I wasn't working and I think I've got a clue. I wondered why libGL.so.1 was needed after compiling Kivy against GLESv2. Well, it wasn't Kivy which wanted to load libGL.so.1 (even the -dev package was not installed on scratchbox), it is one of it's dependencies (I think SDL or even pygame) which needed libGL.so.1 and not libGLESv2. Thus, when importing Kivy to my code, OpenGL and OpenGL ES were loaded at the same time.
You don't want to (can't) have (Desktop) OpenGL on the N900, at least not accelerated. You want OpenGL ES (version 1 or version 2).

I decided now to rebuild everything (python, SDL, pygame and kivy) in a prefix. Got almost everything together, just smpeg is doing trouble, while ./configure'ing. It will be the last dependency for pygame which is missing in my prefix at the moment
Open Setup.in and comment out the module "movie", and it should happily build without smpeg.

The Following User Says Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
worked and saved time!

but the problem is still present. I don't know what needs to be done different to Android, but the windows are still empty as before.
As you can see here:
https://github.com/kivy/kivy/issues/...mment-15326142
So the SDL packages in maemo extras seem to be OK.

There is also a problem getting OpenGL initalized, so you'll need to add these lines to the top of every Kivy app or example:
Code:
import pygame
pygame.display.init()
pygame.display.set_mode((0, 0), pygame.OPENGL)
Maybe you can find the problem :/

Finally my bundle:
http://rapidshare.com/files/52682507...-bundle.tar.gz
You can start Python2.7 + Kivy, Cython, Pygame and SDL libs via:
Code:
Kivy-bundle/usr/bin/python <py-file>
PS: I'm not sure about installing my bundle, but I had to install it to /home as /home/user is using vfat. I look forward to hear about your experiances

Last edited by thopiekar; 2013-03-26 at 14:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thopiekar For This Useful Post: