Notices

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Venice, Italy
Edit: Grsync 1.0 has passed the testing process and is now in Maemo.org downloads (AKA extras)!

Thanks to all the testers who gave their approval and spent some of their time with this little app!

Here is the link to the official download page:

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/grsync/

Starting from this release Maemo-specific changes has been merged upstream.

From grsync's README:

Grsync is a GUI (Graphical User Interface) for rsync, the commandline directory synchronization tool. It makes use of the GTK libraries and is released under the GPL license, so it is opensource. It doesn't support all of rsync features, but can be effectively used to synchronize local directories and supports remote targets in a limited way (read: manual).
For example some people use grsync to synchronize their music collection with removable devices or to backup personal files to a networked drive.

Features

* Most commonly used rsync options available
* Saves multiple settings with customized names (no limit on number of "sessions")
* Can do simulation or normal execution
* Captures and prints rsync output nicely on a own window
* Some translations available
* Needs rsync installed on the system (command line tool only, no need for server-side daemon) and GTK
* Available for free and with sources!
* You can specify a session to load instead of default one, by typing it as command line option.
* Shell script for batch, crontab use etc. provided (grsync-batch)

Last edited by donaggio; 2010-03-16 at 12:30.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to donaggio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Texas, USA
I use Grsync on my desktop to make backups, but I don't see how it would be beneficial on a N900. How do you, as the developer of the Maemo-specific version, use it?

Great news! Grsync is an app of which you don't know whether you will ever need it, but you will notice it isn't there when you need it.

Originally Posted by mooninite View Post
I use Grsync on my desktop to make backups, but I don't see how it would be beneficial on a N900. How do you, as the developer of the Maemo-specific version, use it?
I'm using it to keep my music collection in sync between my N900 and my home server.

The process involves setting up a password-less ssh connection before using grsync, if someone is interested I can post a step-by-step guide here.

The Following User Says Thank You to donaggio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Texas, USA
Originally Posted by donaggio View Post
I'm using it to keep my music collection in sync between my N900 and my home server.

The process involves setting up a password-less ssh connection before using grsync, if someone is interested I can post a step-by-step guide here.
Ah... very interesting idea. Thanks for the reply. Go ahead and post your guide if you want. Might be worth a wiki page.

A new version of grsync (1.1.1-maemo5) is in extras-testing!

Changes since actual version in extras (1.0.0-maemo2):

* Bug fixed: no content displayed in rsync errors dialog
* Better package description for Application Manager
* Small changes to debian/control
* Added grsync settings to the Maemo backup application
* Bug fixed: project friendly name should contain / start with the word "grsync"
* Added advanced option "Protect remote args"
* Added menu option to display the complete grsync command which will be executed
* Added "Contribute" menu option
* Added grsync mimetype support

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to donaggio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
theres no option to sync to my home network p.c.
like file manager does

Originally Posted by leetut View Post
theres no option to sync to my home network p.c.
like file manager does
Can you elaborate a bit?
Grsync is just a GUI for rsync: does your home pc runs it? Do you mount the directory of your home pc you want to sync somewhere in your n900 filesystem before launching Grsync?