with Lumia release and funny documentary movie made by Nokia

made me wonder :
WTF! is nokia doing ?

They're half supporting Symbian, half supporting Maemo and barely getting into Windows 7 territory. the phone is almost indentical to the N9 and what about Meego ??

With bad support the nokia given to Maemo made me wonder if the new Symbian that is shipped with N8 gonna get the same fate as Maemo

Posts: 770 | Thanked: 558 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Abidjan
Originally Posted by supermedo View Post
half supporting Maemo
Half supporting Maemo?? Dude Where have you been these days???

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Boemien For This Useful Post:
It's 1/3454365466234 supporting maemo... at least the 1 for the diginotar security update.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
"WTF has Nokia been doing for the last few years" more like it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
why exactly did Nokia stop supporting Maemo?

So this brings up the question I've been meaning to ask, though it'll probably get lost in this thread....

Which Symbian phone should I get? I love my N900, and would get an N9 if it weren't so freaking expensive!

Now the one thing that I don't like about the N9 is the lack of a hardware keyboard. And at least Symbian seems to be still supported, not to mention there also seems to be a lot of software made for it.

I already know that I hate the Android Market, along with Android. It is just a cumbersome and crappy operating system. From what I've seen of Belle, it's looking mighty sweet. I am considering the N8 (though no hardware keyboard?) I've read about the E7 and that some compare that to the N900.

My question really is, Symbian applications, are they similar in scope to Android? As in the free ones are usually ad supported crap, and they force you to buy the 'pro' ones?

Are there things like ssh, flash support on the browsers, VPN access, etc?

The biggest issue I've seen so far with most of the specs I've been looking at for Symbian phones is that the screen resolution kind of sucks, but at least it looks like you can do full HDMI output with them (unlike Android, which only supports video playback through the HDMI). This would be extremely useful for me, since I bought a tablet solely for outputting PDFs to my tv screen during role playing games...

The fact the N8 has the best camera out there kind of appeals to me too, since I don't actually have a (well greater than 2MP) camera anymore.

Thoughts, suggestions, input? I would also be excited 'cause the batteries last forever in the Symbian phones.

slaapliedje

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@saalpliedje,

I've had (and still have) the E70 and E75, both with full keyboard. If I were to buy a Symbian phone right now I would buy the 701. It's the successor of the C7. Looks good, has all the hardware goodies.. except for a real keyboard.

I have no experience with the E7, but I suppose it's also fine.

As for your questions: Symbian supports Flash LITE. VPN is built-in. SSH (clients) I know of are putty and midpssh (or something like that). Obviously no SSH server (I don't think Symbian has even the concept of a console).

I also like the E6 (full keyboard and touchscreen), has VGA resolution. Problem is (apparently) some apps are not even offered for it due to its non-standard resolution.

General advice: I have the feeling that most developers don't bother testing or even clicking a box saying that their app works on not-so-successful phones. That means that you will find lots of apps for the N8, E7, E72 etc. but not for the E75 (which is functionally identical to the E72).

I think with Symbian3 the problem is gone (except for the E6) because they are all compatible with each other. But just in case I would go for a "popular" phone, just to be on the safe side.

Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Now the one thing that I don't like about the N9 is the lack of a hardware keyboard. And at least Symbian seems to be still supported, not to mention there also seems to be a lot of software made for it.
It support meego harmattan too. PR 1.1 was just released, PR 1.2 is in the works and is a feature-packet update. Nokia will support meego harmattan till 2015 iirc.

So its basically the same as symbian, except meego is a much much better os.

Then you say you dislike the lack of a HW keyboard, and then talk about the N8 which also has no HW keyboard.

Belle isnt as bad as Anna, and Anna isnt as bad as the previous s^3, but none of them come close to meego harmattan. I cant in good conscience advice anyone to buy a s^3-device really. You could do much better with an asha 303 if you REALLY dont want the N9.

Belle is like Android Light. It looks like it tries to look like android and just doesnt pull it quite off. Ive got Belle on my own N8.

Id steer clear if I were you.

No way you can raise the cash to get the N9? I promise you on my firstborn its worth it over any Symbian^3 device.

The Following User Says Thank You to slai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
So this brings up the question I've been meaning to ask, though it'll probably get lost in this thread....

Which Symbian phone should I get? I love my N900, and would get an N9 if it weren't so freaking expensive!

I already know that I hate the Android Market, along with Android. It is just a cumbersome and crappy operating system. From what I've seen of Belle, it's looking mighty sweet. I am considering the N8 (though no hardware keyboard?) I've read about the E7 and that some compare that to the N900.

My question really is, Symbian applications, are they similar in scope to Android? As in the free ones are usually ad supported crap, and they force you to buy the 'pro' ones?

Are there things like ssh, flash support on the browsers, VPN access, etc?

The biggest issue I've seen so far with most of the specs I've been looking at for Symbian phones is that the screen resolution kind of sucks, but at least it looks like you can do full HDMI output with them (unlike Android, which only supports video playback through the HDMI). This would be extremely useful for me, since I bought a tablet solely for outputting PDFs to my tv screen during role playing games...

The fact the N8 has the best camera out there kind of appeals to me too, since I don't actually have a (well greater than 2MP) camera anymore.

Thoughts, suggestions, input? I would also be excited 'cause the batteries last forever in the Symbian phones.

slaapliedje
I have been using both N900 and N8 daily for almost a year now. The N8 would be a fantastic choice over the rest of the (Symbian) pack because of the camera, has dual charging an dual outputs and a "somewhat user replaceable" battery. BUT:

As mentioned already, if the camera is not an issue, I would most definitely take a look at the newer S^3 devices with more RAM and faster CPU + NFC and already shipping with Symbian Belle.

As far as apps, it really depends on what you need. A lot of S^3's features are already built in so apps aren't that big of a necesity but more are covered by a handful of options.

And lastly, do not expect any S^3 device (at the moment) to be able to replace the N900. It just can't but it is a good companion device if that is what you are after.

Last edited by whayong; 2011-11-11 at 23:53.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
symbian must die
wp is for game players

and maemo+swipeui+qt must stay!!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post: