Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
If you guys want a device earlier then December, then why not get in contact with some other device makers? Sailfish can run on other phones too, you know. It's called the Sailfish Alliance and any device maker can put Sailfish on their phones by default.
Sure - but ports to other platforms do not include Alien Dalvik - and without Alien Dalvik a device running Sailfish is pretty much a paper weight (unless you are happy with the provided applications), since Jolla have singularly failed to attract too many developers in to providing native apps

Last edited by jalyst; 2015-04-23 at 07:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
So a device.maker like HTC for example doesn't want to include alien dalvik and.maps? Strange...

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
without Alien Dalvik a device running Sailfish is pretty much a paper weight
I beg to differ. I do not have AD installed and there is not a single app that I am missing.

(OK, Skype would be nice as no one I know uses anything else but I can happily live without it.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
totally agree..im actually using phone without using android app but i have still alien dalvik installed in case of need..i miss onedrive , telegram, and some bank app.

The Following User Says Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Sure - but ports to other platforms do not include Alien Dalvik - and without Alien Dalvik a device running Sailfish is pretty much a paper weight
Untrue. I have had the device as my main smartphone (whatever that means) for 1.5 years now and have not ever installed a single android application on my device... You could well say it is pristine and virginal in that sense

(unless you are happy with the provided applications), since Jolla have singularly failed to attract too many developers in to providing native apps
Hmm, last time I looked through all the provided apps in the Jolla store it starts to be quite a respectable amount of software! Did not even count it all but I would not be surpriset if there are more than hundred applications in the store.

Add all the stuff in OpenRepos to that... plus all the stuff I have ported for myself... it is enough for my needs indeed!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Untrue. I have had the device as my main smartphone (whatever that means) for 1.5 years now and have not ever installed a single android application on my device... You could well say it is pristine and virginal in that sense

Hmm, last time I looked through all the provided apps in the Jolla store it starts to be quite a respectable amount of software! Did not even count it all but I would not be surpriset if there are more than hundred applications in the store.

Add all the stuff in OpenRepos to that... plus all the stuff I have ported for myself... it is enough for my needs indeed!
A lot of apps in store are actually android ones and you can argue as much as you can, there are not much apps for Jolla, I think even N9 that was released as dead device by same age as jolla had more apps.
It's true there are a lot of utilities, but though it's cool to have console and terminal but in 2015 smartphone should have smartphone apps too and not console ones

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
The apps problem is very real, and it's very disappointing that the store is still so restricted. Openrepos shows a little of what the app store should look like, but even those apps are still missing the investment and polish that paid apps would attract. I really hope now the core OS is stable, they can devote some time to approve mechanisms for developers to do things like run daemons, interact with user data such as calendars and charge for their work. Otherwise, the app store problem could kill the platform altogether.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
https://together.jolla.com/question/...-applications/
You can check answers and comments from some people and potential developers.

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
A lot of apps in store are actually android ones and you can argue as much as you can, there are not much apps for Jolla, I think even N9 that was released as dead device by same age as jolla had more apps.
I counted only the native applications of course. Android apps in the Jolla store are waste of space IMHO anyway.
And talking about N9, it had a huge range of applications available in the store, can you honestly say there was something you missed?
All in all, there are just about 2-digit number or so of possible applications that anyone could need, of course the personal mix of what you find useful might differ between people

I see no real need to have 10^6 applications in a store... Many people think that WP is bad because the windoze application store is limited; That is untrure. WP is bad because it is rigid; you cannot extend it, you cannot make the darn box do want you want to. It has nothing to do with the number of applications in store. iPhone has gazillion apps and it also sucks for the same reason.

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
It's true there are a lot of utilities, but though it's cool to have console and terminal but in 2015 smartphone should have smartphone apps too and not console ones
Care to elaborate? Why would it be important to have "smartphone apps" whatever you mean by that?
Isn't it more important that you can accomplish all your tasks with the device easily and optimally without any extra hazzles, wouldn't you agree that the smarter the device is the less time you need to keep squinting at the UI and tapping at silly small buttons on it?

Having a console and real OS tools means you can automate a lot of tasks to the point that you need not touch any kind of UI. Try doing that on WP or iDevice. On Androidid is possible but more painful than on an OS built for that kind of workflow.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Totally agree with @juiceme, with less than 20 apps, you cover 95% of the user needs.

And regarding the support of paid app, juste have a look around the web. You'll read many articles about the fact that making a leaving with paid apps is a kind of mirage.