Hi,

Firstly I'd like to point out this isn't a "Waaaa, where is PR1.2?" thread. If you're looking for one of those then click in any direction and you should find one.

A few months back I started writing an app for UK Train Departures. I wanted to use Python and QT so I started off using PyQT.

Soon I ran into problems with wanting to use the QTMaemo5 module that was not available in PyQT so switched to PySide. I got most of the functionality up and running but ran into some interesting QT stability issues and wasn't to sure if it was something I was doing wrong or PySide. I also decided that I didn't really want to depend on PySide as I had no idea when it would make the move from Devel. By this point PyQT had released support for QT 4.6.2, the downside being that the QTMaemo5 module wouldn't be available until PR1.2. Just round the corner I thought, I can wait a a week or two.

So my questions are:
* Have I missed something? Is there a way to get to use the PyQT maemo 5 api on the phone?
* I've not moved to the latest SDK yet as I was worried about depending on things not yet available to the phone. However does anyone know if the PyQT Maemo5 module is available in it? It might be worth upgrading my SDK just so I can get back to working on the app.
* Are there any other devs waiting for PR1.2 (namely QT updates) to make a release?

Regards,

Alex

Originally Posted by SirMuttley View Post
Hi,

Firstly I'd like to point out this isn't a "Waaaa, where is PR1.2?" thread. If you're looking for one of those then click in any direction and you should find one.

A few months back I started writing an app for UK Train Departures. I wanted to use Python and QT so I started off using PyQT.

Soon I ran into problems with wanting to use the QTMaemo5 module that was not available in PyQT so switched to PySide. I got most of the functionality up and running but ran into some interesting QT stability issues and wasn't to sure if it was something I was doing wrong or PySide. I also decided that I didn't really want to depend on PySide as I had no idea when it would make the move from Devel. By this point PyQT had released support for QT 4.6.2, the downside being that the QTMaemo5 module wouldn't be available until PR1.2. Just round the corner I thought, I can wait a a week or two.

So my questions are:
* Have I missed something? Is there a way to get to use the PyQT maemo 5 api on the phone?
* I've not moved to the latest SDK yet as I was worried about depending on things not yet available to the phone. However does anyone know if the PyQT Maemo5 module is available in it? It might be worth upgrading my SDK just so I can get back to working on the app.
* Are there any other devs waiting for PR1.2 (namely QT updates) to make a release?

Regards,

Alex
you can download the bindings from here, and it works v nice

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=104

And here is ncalc with full rotation support
(Auto rotation will not work in PR1.1 firmware with these bindings)

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=112

Last edited by mikec; 2010-04-21 at 11:17.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
you can download the bindings from here, and it works v nice

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=104

And here is ncalc with full auto rotation support

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=112
Hardcore, that will help.

Any chance you know if the latest SDK has these debs in x86 as I use both phone and SDK for development and testing work?

Regards,

Alex

nope not in the SDK, These debs are specially made for PR1.1, so not sure how they will behave on the SDK.
have a look further up the thread by a few posts to see how to install

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Thanks to MikeC for the references.

The situation is as follows. The PR1.2 release process got borked, and developers (myself included) got caught in the gap. To avoid further mixups, delays, depending on the Qt packaging strategy, I will reconsider my decision to have a single packageset, so you will probably be seeing python2.5-qt4-* compiled for the current PR and a python2.5-qt4-devel-* which will be compiled against the Qt version in extras-devel. Sadly (unlike Qt) you will not be able to have both installed simultaneously. It's not too nice, but since it looks like the Qt4.7 release is going to use the same procedure as Qt4.6, that seems the lesser evil

Oh, and I did not make any X86 debs, sorry, will remedy that shortly (though it is more likely that I end up uploading it to extras-devel according to the scheme specified above).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Thanks to MikeC for the references.

The situation is as follows. The PR1.2 release process got borked, and developers (myself included) got caught in the gap. To avoid further mixups, delays, depending on the Qt packaging strategy, I will reconsider my decision to have a single packageset, so you will probably be seeing python2.5-qt4-* compiled for the current PR and a python2.5-qt4-devel-* which will be compiled against the Qt version in extras-devel. Sadly (unlike Qt) you will not be able to have both installed simultaneously. It's not too nice, but since it looks like the Qt4.7 release is going to use the same procedure as Qt4.6, that seems the lesser evil

Oh, and I did not make any X86 debs, sorry, will remedy that shortly (though it is more likely that I end up uploading it to extras-devel according to the scheme specified above).
Thank you so much.

I'll look out for either the devel packages to hit repositories or the x86 debs to be uploaded somewhere. Hopefully this weekend I'll be back at the coding

Regards,

Alex

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
I have a question about this.

Why can't I install multiple versions of the same library and have them running alongside each other?
That would fix a lot of things.

Windows solved this problem about 10 years ago, so I'm quite surprised Linux can't do it.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Why can't I install multiple versions of the same library and have them running alongside each other?

Windows solved this problem about 10 years ago, so I'm quite surprised Linux can't do it.
It's not a Linux issue per se, it's the way Nokia decided to package Qt that is the problem (I'm sure they had their reasons, but that's not helping us in this particular case). If someone really-really wanted, they could make bindings installable in parallel, too, but it's very dirty with all sorts of pathmongering and changes to the import statements, likely to cause more trouble than it's worth.

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
I have a question about this.

There are, at least, three levels to "installing": package managing (as in .deb or .rpm), resource sharing (as in config utilities) and actual storing on disk.

If not all these levels of installation are planned properly, using several versions of the same library might fail in many ways. This puts the responsibility on the maintainers/packagers.

So, Linux can handle as many versions as you want, they are loaded into memory and any application can pick and choose whatever it needs but if the product in itself isn't playing nice, that's the problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
It's not a Linux issue per se, it's the way Nokia decided to package Qt that is the problem (I'm sure they had their reasons, but that's not helping us in this particular case). If someone really-really wanted, they could make bindings installable in parallel, too, but it's very dirty with all sorts of pathmongering and changes to the import statements, likely to cause more trouble than it's worth.
Yes, it is a Linux issue, from my point of view.

For example, add the Debian ARM repository, and try to install something from it.
I, for one, wanted to try Mono, so I installed the mono-runtime package.
Apt-get also updated libc6 and libgcc1 during the process.

It seems however, that the Calendar application is not happy with it, and stopped working properly.
After I downgraded to the previos version of libc6, it worked again.

It would be much easier in terms of compatibility, if it would be possible to have both versions of that library.