The part I don't understand is, this is Intel we are talking about... It's not a software-based company that developped Moblin and its new brother MeeGo, but it's a pure hardware corporation, and one of the best on top of that. And they don't plan on adding support for their very own previous chipsets...? I am really curious to see what the future holds for Meego. What kind of netbook is Intel planning on running MeeGo as the main OS?

And also, could anybody please answer, will MeeGo support 3G connectivity? Like going online with a sim card in the netbook. Will it be able to recognize that connection or will it purely be Bluetooth/WiFi based?

Many thanks in advance.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I don't get why MeeGo wouldn't have software renderer modes/methods for the unsupported chipsets. It's not like the CPU isn't up to snuff for some transitions and effects.

Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
The part I don't understand is, this is Intel we are talking about... It's not a software-based company that developped Moblin and its new brother MeeGo, but it's a pure hardware corporation, and one of the best on top of that. And they don't plan on adding support for their very own previous chipsets...?
The problem is that the GMA500 is, effectively, not their own chipset. They made a terrible mistake in licensing the PowerVR core, and have a borderline impossible task in dealing with Imagination when working on a Linux driver, especially since no other chipset from them uses that core and all the others have open source drivers.

I am really curious to see what the future holds for Meego. What kind of netbook is Intel planning on running MeeGo as the main OS?
Intel isn't planning on running it on anything. They're just ensuring that the hardware in their scope is covered. If Nvidia (or a 3rd party) wants to add support for those chips, then they can add them. The only hard requirement for MeeGo is 3D acceleration for the -entire UI-, and software fallback was deprecated.

And also, could anybody please answer, will MeeGo support 3G connectivity? Like going online with a sim card in the netbook. Will it be able to recognize that connection or will it purely be Bluetooth/WiFi based?
No reason it shouldn't.

Originally Posted by gerbick
I don't get why MeeGo wouldn't have software renderer modes/methods for the unsupported chipsets. It's not like the CPU isn't up to snuff for some transitions and effects.
Software implementation of most effects would be terribly slow, especially on ATOM. You'd spend a disproportionate amount of CPU power rendering graphical effects and less time in a low power state (all the while feeding power to a useless graphics chip.) Deprecating software rendering enforces the hardware requirement.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Huge thanks to you wmarone for your great answers (and the others too of course). You made me further understand the concept of MeeGo. From what I can gather...it's not really meant to be run on a computer... it's amazing for a handheld device (or a car i guess?) but im disappointed for the lack of computer support is offers. Or perhaps it is still very early... But in my mind and my perfect dream (lol), Nokia would eventually release the perfect succesor to the Nokia Booklet 3G and it will be made for MeeGo with full support. And I thought Intel would be far more implicated, outside of just developping MeeGo, to start focusing hardware equipment for new netbooks running MeeGo.

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Russia,Moscow
# CPU: Intel Atom or Intel Core 2 CPU (support for SSSE3)
Note: MeeGo will not work on non-SSSE3 CPUs
# Platforms with the GMA-500, Nvidia, or ATI graphics chipsets are not supported
That's a short answer without wall of text. Booklet 3G doesn't support SSE3

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by qwenjis View Post
That's a short answer without wall of text. Booklet 3G doesn't support SSE3
First of all, the requirement is SSSE3, not just SSE3. The Booklet 3g's Atom Z530 supports both. It's the graphics that's the culprit. From what I've read around there are only drivers for older X server versions, not the 1.8 used in MeeGo.