Active Topics

Theme settings is a Nokia N9 settings plugin for changing the system theme.

To change the system theme, start Settings, select Device and then Theme. This view allows you to select the system theme (Blanco by default). The package comes with an example theme, Magenta, which replaces cyan buttons and status bar icons with magenta ones. After selecting a theme the device needs to be restarted using the dialog requesting to do so.

Theme settings was available for download from the Nokia Store. Unfortunately Nokia Store QA has decided to unpublish it, so If you encounter problems downloading please contact Nokia Store Support or Developer Support. Theme settings can be uninstalled like any other application by starting Settings, selecting Applications, selecting Manage applications, selecting Theme settings and then Uninstall.

Themes can be installed from individual theme packages. Themes reside in the directory /usr/share/themes/themename and should be provided by packages named meegotouchtheme-themename for consistency. Each theme should inherit the blanco theme to ensure proper operation. Refer to libmeegotouch documentation for additional information about theming. Since a broken theme can cause a device to malfunction and not to start at all, be extra careful when creating a theme and ensure that the theme works correctly in all applications. An example theme package that changes the background color of each home screen page (not recommended to be done in a theme) is provided on the support page of Theme settings.

The application unlocks Harmattan operating system functionality not supported in any way by Nokia. There is absolutely no warranty! The author takes no responsibility of problems or loss of data caused by this application or third party themes.

Last edited by Vesuri; 2012-08-02 at 15:54.

The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to Vesuri For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Thanks Vesuri for the app...

The main advantage this app has over Theme Changer from Apps4Meego is that your emoticons don't get broken plus the theme can be changed by going to settings; no need for a separate app...

Vesuri, is it possible to skip the reboot that is required? I know its safer with a reboot but like the Theme Changer app, after changing the theme and waiting for 15secs, the phone has all the effects applied hence skipping the need for a reboot...Also is there a soft implementation done first? For example, if the theme is broken, does the app check first before applying?

Lastly, Vesuri your app is targetting the blanco folder...how about a plugin to change the boot Nokia picture from the base folder?

Thanks once again for the brilliant app..

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Vesuri, is it possible to skip the reboot that is required? I know its safer with a reboot but like the Theme Changer app, after changing the theme and waiting for 15secs, the phone has all the effects applied hence skipping the need for a reboot...
The problem here is that the new theme kind of gets applied but not completely in all applications. For example, if you change the theme, the home screen icons don't necessarily change automatically but will change when you tap on them, which will be confusing. Also, if the theme changes things like status bar icons, the new icons won't be immediately taken into effect. There are various places in which the new theme won't be taken into effect automatically so it's better to just reboot. All this is caused by incomplete implementations of applications and is similar to why the device needs to be rebooted when the system language is changed. It's possible to change the system language on the fly but applications that won't react to the change properly will still use the previous language, so the easier way out (rebooting) was chosen.

Also is there a soft implementation done first? For example, if the theme is broken, does the app check first before applying?
Unfortunately not. I'm not entirely sure at this point if this would be possible or not. If yes, this is definitely something to be included. Also, if it would be possible to reset the theme to blanco if the device ends up in a reboot loop that would be also a thing to do.

Lastly, Vesuri your app is targetting the blanco folder...how about a plugin to change the boot Nokia picture from the base folder?
The application is not actually targetting any folder. The only thing it does is checks which directories under /usr/share/themes contain valid MeeGo Touch themes and shows them in the theme selector. Base is excluded since the system won't work as expected if Base is chosen. The application does NOT replace any files from anywhere. That'd be a hack which is better left off for those who want to use hacks and know what they are doing. It should also be noted that the Nokia boot picture is first shown by the boot loader (and is embedded to the boot loader) and then by /usr/bin/MProgressIndicator. Thus, it's not possible to change the logo altogether, especially not without hacking.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vesuri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 314 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Bratislava, Slovakia
can you please help me a little bit here?:
once I set magenta theme and phone restarted the Search app doesn't work anymore...it launches but never searches for anything, it's basically empty...I went back to blanco, rebooted again, still the same...

Vesuri for the reboot loop thing what i had in mind was something like what MAG has implemented in his MT-Toggles whereby if the device goes into a reboot loop, “safe mode" is activated with all plugins disabled...unfortunately due to personal reasons he has closed source it...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-07-26 at 21:58.

apt-get update gave me this:
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory(/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

Originally Posted by jleholeho View Post
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory(/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
ok either wait a few mins and try again or do "rm -r /var/lib/dpkg/lock"

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
rm: can't remove '/var/lib/dpkg/lock': No suchfile or directory
?

edit: apt-get update done this time but Search app still doesn't work...keyboard emerges immediately as usually but the little circle keeps running without any result and no files show up as before

Last edited by jleholeho; 2012-07-26 at 22:18.

can you please help me a little bit here?:
once I set magenta theme and phone restarted the Search app doesn't work anymore...it launches but never searches for anything, it's basically empty...I went back to blanco, rebooted again, still the same...
Such behavior has absolutely nothing to do with this application. This application doesn't do anything else than sets the value of two GConf keys to the name of the theme. It does not and cannot break Search, which relies on Tracker.

Nothing to do with this application either and is completely normal. In Harmattan the package management is handled by pkgmgrd, which locks the package database because it uses it directly. If pkgmgrd is running apt-get can't be used. This is expected behavior. Don't use apt-get if you don't need it. killall pkgmgrd also helps if you absolutely need to use it but usually it shouldn't be necessary. The pkgmgr command line command can be used to install and uninstall user packages instead of apt-get and dpkg.

Vesuri for the reboot loop thing what i had in mind was something like what MAG has implemented in his MT-Toggles whereby if the device goes into a reboot loop, “safe mode" is activated with all plugins disabled...unfortunately due to personal reasons he has closed source it...
The interesting thing is whether there's a way to get such a reboot loop checker to run before it's too late. If the theme daemon, the home screen or system UI keep dying the device reboots, so such a check must be made before trying to start the theme daemon, the home screen or system UI. I haven't checked yet whether there's a valid way to add such a startup item from a 3rd party (Store) package.