Poll: Do you prefer to disclose your home location in your profile?
Poll Options
Do you prefer to disclose your home location in your profile?

Originally Posted by CrashandDie View Post
No offence, but maybe people don't want to be contacted because they live in a specific area? I for one know that there really isn't any point in saying I'm in a specific location, considering I'm moving way too much for it to make any sense. I'm sure there are others in the same position; people working in one place but living in another, etc.

How about we just go about it the old way. You get to know people, and then, at some point in the discussion, you will learn where they are based. Why would it interest you to know where someone lives if you have no affinities with them, and utterly don't care about them?
Not to mention you could always create an event in off-topic like I will in a few weeks for a get together in that region. Those who are interested in coming and are in that region will come or post in the thread. If they're not interested then oh well.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
bra size (women only please)
That's transvestite discrimination!

Actually the reason I suggested time zone is that it is entirely separate from your profile. I agree that your location should be optional although I have no problem with posting mine (although I'm not saying it's accurate any more accurate than my birthday).

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
could anyone *please* confirm sjgadsby is wrong? i mean, i know that the N900-implementation does use status messages for location information (which is highly annoying), but not using XEP-0080 would be just... insane.
Unfortunately it is only a status message. Nokians said in the Summit that they didn't do XEP-0080 because GTalk doesn't support it. Though as it works in Empathy I'd imagine it would've been available in Telepathy.

What is even a bigger shame is that Maemo Browser doesn't support location sharing either. But at least Fennec does. There is a brainstorm where you can vote for this.

The Following User Says Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ | MAD | MEX | MOW |
i'm all for disclosure of where i am in a discussion, but with all due respect, i hate those kinds of "localized services"... i spend months a year in different cities, countries and even continents, and there is nothing worse than those smug websites/services that redirect you automatically to a local service when you want to access their ".com" or international service... even worse when they just won't give you any option to change the local version... so sorry for being a party-pooper, i'm all against that crap...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juanenrique For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Not to mention you could always create an event in off-topic like I will in a few weeks for a get together in that region. Those who are interested in coming and are in that region will come or post in the thread. If they're not interested then oh well.
I raised the issue of an full-fledged maemo.org event calendar recently and it seems to be stalled. I may have to collab with bergie and see what we can do.

Originally Posted by juanenrique View Post
[..] websites/services that redirect you automatically to a local service when you want to access their ".com" or international service[..]
Yeah, those are annoying. If I go to www.google.com I do it because I want the English version, if I wanted the German version I would go to www.google.de, or .fr for French and so on. Instead I'm getting redirected behind the scene, which is bad. And more and more sites are like that. And in some other locales I may not even be able to figure out how to find a version in English because I'm unable to understand enough of the displayed language.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
Unfortunately it is only a status message. Nokians said in the Summit that they didn't do XEP-0080 because GTalk doesn't support it.
... now that's what I call a profound justification.

Wonder if some new frontend on top of the existing telepathy framework (a post of Empathy??) could fix this.

Tags
don't look now but, i'm right behind you