Notices

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
The next NIT with 3G modem will really be able to be used as a phone. No need for WiFi hotspots.

I went to SoCal for a conference/competition, and made all my calls via N810 and free hotel WiFi. It worked flawlessly, though I had to use the web interface for Google Voice.
I have a Gizmo call in number, and I use my IT while at conferences hooked up to the hotel's wifi. This way my family can call me for free, and receiving a call on Gizmo is also free. I've taken calls on my NIT while in hotel elevators! The only time i use the Gizmo client is when I need to check my balance, otherwise the default internet call client is very good and resource efficient.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by racky View Post
Yes, this is the program, it is working fine with Google Voice now. Just search.

No thanks...

Added: I don't mean the program, I'm sure the program works as advertised...
I meant to your response to "search".

I already did.... and provided a link in the third post for the good of this thread. It wasn't hard. Feel free to try it yourself.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-05-11 at 02:45. Reason: No dis to epage and brontide

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
The default SIP client uses very little power compare to the Gizmo client. I haven't tried to see how long the battery will last with just the default SIP client on, but it should be about the same amount of time as you leave your ITs on with WIFI connection. I got about 2 days. It really depends on how you use your ITs. I have 2 extra batteries and a charge cable in my car, so charging my IT is never a problem.
Not sure about anyone else -- but I can't get the default agent to work through a NAT; at all. One thing I notice is that if you're relying upon STUN auto-detection, you lose. In fact, even specifying STUN seems to get ignored -- it never even tries it.

I'm not sure what's wrong with "Telepathy" or the Sophia-SIP, but some update about a year ago broke NAT traversals.

"Internet Call" is one hurtin' application. Try something as simple as setting your default presence to "off". Exit and Start again. Viola! It's ack on.

I didn't much like Gizmo, so I've just ditched it all. The cell phone is a lot more handy anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to fattomm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fattomm View Post
The cell phone is a lot more handy anyway.
I just paired my BT headset, the same one that I use with my cell phone, with my N800. It works. It can even able to accept and disconnect the phone call directly by pressing the button on the headset, So, you don't even need to hold your IT against your face to talk. The difference is getting even closer between the cell phone and the InternetTablet.

Last edited by racky; 2009-05-11 at 01:02.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Los Angeles
Should I be able to call out through Dial Central if I have a Google Voice number but no Gizmo account?

I have my GV account set up to forward to my cell phone.

If I enter a number on the N810 Dial Central dialpad and press "Dial," it rings my cell phone, then connects it with the number I dialed.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to dial out directly from the N810. If so, how do I configure it?

Thanks.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
You do need a Gizmo number to have GV ring your tablet. But they are free.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
For those lucky people, like me, who have an account with Google Voice and a 3G phone, now you can make phone call on your N8*0 just like a cell phone. If you don't have an account with Google Voice, sorry you just have to wait until it goes public.

First thanks Epage for the great DialCentral program(if you don't know what it is, please search).

All of us who use DialCentral before should know how to setup Grandcentral with Gizmo and use Gizmo client to answer phone call on our ITs.

Before we had to use Gizmo on our ITs to answer phone call because we had to press #1 on the dialpad to answer call.

Now after upgrading to Google Voice, you can turn off that function called Call Presentation at the settings and the call will go throught directly . So now we can use the default Internet Call Program on our ITs to answer phone call.

Just open Internet Call on our ITs, add a new account with Sip with user name <your_sip_number_with _Gizmo>@proxy01.sipphone.com, password <your Gizmo account password>. , check "Enabled" and make it automatically on whenever you connect to the internet.

Now when people call your Google Voice number, your ITs will ring just like a phone and you can answer the call with the default Internet Call Program, without opening Gizmo.

To make phone call, just use DialCental to dial the numbers and use the default program to talk, no need to open Gimzo neither.
I just tried this method on Wifi and even with my tethered 3G phone, and the result was great.

So now, I can make phone call on my N8*0 without using my phone plan minutes anymore and also can call any US numbers for free and answer call when I am oversea as long as I have Wifi connection on my IT, yeah.
racky, i had been searching for a long time for the information you presented here. thanks for helping me out!

For those lucky people, like me, who have an account with Google Voice and a 3G phone, now you can make phone call on your N8*0 just like a cell phone. If you don't have an account with Google Voice, sorry you just have to wait until it goes public.

First thanks Epage for the great DialCentral program(if you don't know what it is, please search).

All of us who use DialCentral before should know how to setup Grandcentral with Gizmo and use Gizmo client to answer phone call on our ITs.

Before we had to use Gizmo on our ITs to answer phone call because we had to press #1 on the dialpad to answer call.

Now after upgrading to Google Voice, you can turn off that function called Call Presentation at the settings and the call will go throught directly . So now we can use the default Internet Call Program on our ITs to answer phone call.

Just open Internet Call on our ITs, add a new account with Sip with user name <your_sip_number_with _Gizmo>@proxy01.sipphone.com, password <your Gizmo account password>. , check "Enabled" and make it automatically on whenever you connect to the internet.

Now when people call your Google Voice number, your ITs will ring just like a phone and you can answer the call with the default Internet Call Program, without opening Gizmo.

To make phone call, just use DialCental to dial the numbers and use the default program to talk, no need to open Gimzo neither.
I just tried this method on Wifi and even with my tethered 3G phone, and the result was great.

So now, I can make phone call on my N8*0 without using my phone plan minutes anymore and also can call any US numbers for free and answer call when I am oversea as long as I have Wifi connection on my IT, yeah.

Can you go through the instructions to set this up on the nokia n8?

from the beginning, as I am completely new to this
greatly appreciated.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
These aren't instructions for the Nokia N8, these are instructions for the Nokia N8*0, which is short for Nokia N800 and Nokia N810, the precursors to the N900, with slower processors but big, beautiful 4.3" screens. Sigh....

Tags
dialcentral, gizmo, google voice