Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
also, we need at LEAST 200dpi screen
For this no problems, N900 screen is already at 267 dpi

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Sorry, no hostility intended. It been a honest advice. I'd really not want any of you feeling disappointed in the end about the performance of this device. This is not bleeding edge hw, we can't do that since chip manufs don't allow us to buy 200 of their new chips. And we don't even want to do that since Neo900 is first and foremost about binary compatibility to N900 and fremantle as is.
Anybody hoping to get appropriate hw grunt for the buck, on par with what big players like Samsung, Nokia, Apple can do, will be disappointed in the end. We don't want to see unhappy customers.
np, just dont ever suggest an iphone or android for me again
im really not obsessed with hardware power, n900 is still in my opinion the most powerful "phone" out there without replacement in foreseeable future
really hope this project will be succesfull and sell thousands of boards
maybe there would even be some interest among pandora users?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Is there any possibility that the Neo900 could support dual-sim standby? Will the battery life get affected to a considerable extent? I am sure many of us use two sim cards, one for voice and another for data. Dual-sim could be useful.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to goodearth For This Useful Post:
no fremantle software can deal with dual-sim mode. besides, this mode needs 'double gsm' hardware. so the answer is 'no', i believe.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ketmar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by ketmar View Post
no fremantle software can deal with dual-sim mode. besides, this mode needs 'double gsm' hardware. so the answer is 'no', i believe.
yes, correct
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
I sent a N900 plus additional stuff like FPC and blank PCB to Nikolaus, to do the mechanical evaluation. Should arrive today or tomorrow.

I'm about to start (or rather participate in) a skunkworks side project of this already skunkworks project, to offer FOSS modem based on calypso chipset (modem option #4 then), that would allow stuff like osmocomBB on Neo900, though at expense of sacrificing everything better than mere GSM (edge?) data and voice calls. ETA: 1 year, 2 years, never, who knows. Depends on progress of calypso project that's not steered or driven by me, I'm just supporting it and offer all the help I can.

Many thanks to the guy who came up with this brilliant idea, and hopefully will come up with FC-modems soon! :-)

/j

footnote: unlike the Option modules, such a free calypso selfmade modem will most definitely not come with any kind of FCC/whatever approval, so you most likely are not allowed to use it for normal telephony in your country unless you got a special licence to do so, and your own test BTS for which you need yet another licence obviously!

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-25 at 14:19.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
What about battery life? Where is a status page which describes current bugs and their solutions?

The Following User Says Thank You to llg179 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by llg179 View Post
What about battery life? Where is a status page which describes current bugs and their solutions?
Battery, battery, battery...
it has been said million times: battery will be the same as in N900. No one have working prototype so no one can say the facts (7 hours, 42 minutes and 3 seconds, just guessing.), but (how has been said in this thread) we are expecting battery life similar as on N900.

Not good enough? Two solutions: (second one is more friendly)
  1. Don't buy it.
  2. Buy Estel's Alu cover with space for second battery (and many more features) - that's my dream.

Status page? There is an neo900.org where you can find some informations, this thread, the developers thread and also Wiki page.

You can help with that, if you want!

#lexik

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lexik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by llg179 View Post
Where is a status page which describes current bugs and their solutions?
No prototype yet, no bugs yet, no solutions yet. Standby power consumption even for GTA04 is still under evaluation and evolution. Since the current distros all follow a suspend-to-RAM scheme, it's pretty hard to evaluate how maemo (which never suspends to RAM but simply stops clocks) will perform, but we expect the results to be similar to N900 since OS and hardware both are almost identical to N900. After all that's one of the reasons to port fremantle to GTA04(-NeoN).
To spill the beans a bit, I'm a little concerned about USB used to do data to modem, since OMAP (resp usb core) is not exactly known verified good at power consumption. Thus we will have to have a close look to that detail during our pending evaluation phase of next few weeks, before we can do any kind of feature freeze for the hw.
/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-25 at 21:42.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
on another sidenote: seems refurbished N900 are available for ~100EUR in quantities of 1, so that's our upper limit on our expense for the N900 case/screen/whatnot parts we need to source. Add a few bucks on top of that for risk management and for work of sourcing/handling the N900s, for diassembling the N900, reworking the case (USB port apperture), and mounting the GTA04-NeoN board, and you got a good figure of price difference between GTA04-NeoN board (for DIY upgrade of your N900) and a complete assembled ready-to-boot device.

/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-25 at 22:08.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!