Posts: 29 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Portland, OR
My N900 was accidentally left in my pants when they went into the washing machine. I tried the usual (bag of rice, leave on top of an old TV for 24 hours, etc.) but after days of trying I am calling it dead, and have already bought a super-cheap $20 replacement phone for now until maybe I can afford another N900 (or find another cool smartphone).

My question is: What do I do with the N900? It's broken, no indication of booting up or anything . . . are there any good hardware parts inside I should worry about de-soldering or anything?

The Following User Says Thank You to jonarmani For This Useful Post:
Well if the case/back cover, screen front(?) and steel trim are still in good condition, then I guess you could ebay them? You may find a buyer who is looking to replace damaged parts.

Oh and the stylus's are rather sort after too

However, if you are wanting to buy a new n900, you could always get creative and use a can of spray paint to this case and give your new 900 a custom make over?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Have you tried changing the battery with a new one? Perhaps should open up the device and look for inner physical damage (corroded ribbons/circuits).
Then I'd call it safe to say your N900 is dead.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soulaxe For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
My Thinkpad T61 got a big Campari shower (more than half of a long-drink glass) over the keyboard one year ago while running... the first thing I did was to switch it off and to clean it with a hand towel. Afterwards I tried to start it, but it wouldn't show any signs of life... Knowing that I didn't have to lose anything anymore, I then took it apart and dried the opened bottom part over night on a radiator. The other day I put it back together and it's been running since as if it never happened... maybe you should try that, too

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jonarmani View Post
My N900 was accidentally left in my pants when they went into the washing machine. I tried the usual (bag of rice, leave on top of an old TV for 24 hours, etc.) but after days of trying I am calling it dead, and have already bought a super-cheap $20 replacement phone for now until maybe I can afford another N900 (or find another cool smartphone).

My question is: What do I do with the N900? It's broken, no indication of booting up or anything . . . are there any good hardware parts inside I should worry about de-soldering or anything?
There is more than likely still water inside, you need to completely strip the thing down and let it dry. It is extremely hard to get the water out without opening the device up.

Further more your battery is probably fecked if it has been submersed in water for a significant amount of time.

1. Strip down and dry out properly.
2. Get new battery (any battery, $1 special whatever to eliminate possibility of screwed battery).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Portland, OR
Thanks for the responses, I will try stripping it down as a few of you have mentioned. Will report back in a week or so, whenever I get a new battery.

The Following User Says Thank You to jonarmani For This Useful Post:
if its dead im willing to buy it ;O

The Following User Says Thank You to AyoStanley For This Useful Post:
can i buy the stylus (if its original)

The Following User Says Thank You to Changegames For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Further more your battery is probably fecked if it has been submersed in water for a significant amount of time.
I left my N900 battery in for a full wash cycle and was surprised to find that it still works - sort of:

Placing it in an external charger it charges but doesn't give any indication when fully charged. When I place the charged battery into the N900 it indicates an "empty" battery, when I plug in the usb charger for a minute or 2 then it shows a full charge and I can continue to use it normally.

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Most of Li-Po cells I've seen are water proof - cells, not their pcb. Once i left some cell in jar full of water, for overnight (don't ask why ), and next day, after thoughtful drying and soldering protective PCB to it, it worked fine and works to this day.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, water damage