Active Topics

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
i'm quite sure that "Deployment" also includes deploying the embedded runtime after shipping.
nokia has to pay these royalities or we will forever have to cope with the evaluation...

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 293 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
This could be an alternative:

https://wiki.evolvis.org/jalimo/index.php/Main_Page

I use it sometimes on the freerunner.

The Following User Says Thank You to admiral0 For This Useful Post:
All these alternatives etc are pretty useless until you get to install a single package from Extras, click on any .jar or .jad file from the File Manager and get the MIDP program running instantly.

All the above stuff, either from Sun or from Jalimo, is just some cruft for Java geeks. Has been this way for months.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
I would use Java on the N900 at least for one reason:

Opera Mini

I think nothing beats Mini's efficiency. For the few things Mini does, it does it remarkably well...

Java by itself is possibly just 'nice to have', but Java applets is a 'must have'. In my country all the banks (and I mean _all_) are changing to a system where not only net banking, but also credit card validation is done through a java applet. Without it, these things can't be done with the tablets (or the N900). Which is a major bummer, in particular when travelling.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Java by itself is possibly just 'nice to have', but Java applets is a 'must have'. In my country all the banks (and I mean _all_) are changing to a system where not only net banking, but also credit card validation is done through a java applet. Without it, these things can't be done with the tablets (or the N900). Which is a major bummer, in particular when travelling.
Ewwww really?

Good God thats awful. I thought they had taken Java applets out the back and shot them by now.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following User Says Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Perhaps it would be OK to port the Java ME specification.....that shouldn't suck too much horsepower.

But a full-blown SE JVM.....F that into a cocked hat.

Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
i just realized that these packages are evaluation NOT because they're beta versions or under developement, these are evaluation because sun wants to MAKE $$$ FAST on embedded devices

see here
Q10 and Q11 are relevant.
Hmm, other questions imply that the embedded version is designed for embedded, limited/single purpose devices - which isn't what the n900 is about. The page also implies that ARM versions of normal Java SE exist, but I can't find a download - not that I've looked very hard.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 293 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
Try this:

https://wiki.evolvis.org/jalimo/inde...stall_packages

You're only a click away from a JVM.

I really don't like Java. I prefer true C, C++ apps as they are faster. But open source is made of choices, so why shouldn't there be java for maemo?

The Following User Says Thank You to admiral0 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by jaark View Post
Hmm, other questions imply that the embedded version is designed for embedded, limited/single purpose devices - which isn't what the n900 is about. The page also implies that ARM versions of normal Java SE exist, but I can't find a download - not that I've looked very hard.
These downloads are in fact the ARM versions of JavaSE.

I believe Sun didn't quite anticipate that powerful devices like the n900 would so soon be able to host a full Java SE. You're right, these downloads are aimed at other, more specialized embedded devices (TV-set top boxes f.ex.), so you as a manufacturer can evaluate the possibilities.

Note that there are no similar evaluation downloads for Java ME!

edit: Hogwash is right though, the SE JVM probably won't perform too well. it's just that these downloads are currently the only way to get sun java on this tablet.
Porting Java ME is a huge licensing issue. If Nokia didn't "buy" it for the N900 already, chances are they are never gonna do so.

Last edited by SubCore; 2009-10-16 at 14:41.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post: