Hello,
I want to use a 4G Sim in my Nokia N900. The LTE Bands that the SIM uses are Band 3, 5 & 40 over frequencies 1800Mhz, 850Mhz & 2300Mhz respectively. Is there any way to manually switch the bands and select network on N900?
I know that this is hard to achieve but If it is possible then I want to achieve it. This is possible in many 3G Android mobile devices so hoping that it is possible in this phone as well.
If it is possible by doing some hardware hacking then I am ready to do it as long as it is reasonable.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to racheta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
There's no such thing as a "4G SIM". It's the modem, and it's built-in in your N900 with no possibility of removing or replacing it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
What you could do, however, is get an USB-stick 4G modem (usually called a "mokkula" in finnish BTW) and stick that into da USB port of your device. With right kind of SW tweaks you should be able to run your data connection through that external modem and still have the internal modem take care of your voice traffic.
You can even run the modems with active 3G and 4G data connections in parallel, achieving better throughput than any of your friends with their fancy modern Android/iOS devices

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by racheta View Post
Hello,
I want to use a 4G Sim in my Nokia N900. The LTE Bands that the SIM uses are Band 3, 5 & 40 over frequencies 1800Mhz, 850Mhz & 2300Mhz respectively. Is there any way to manually switch the bands and select network on N900?
I know that this is hard to achieve but If it is possible then I want to achieve it. This is possible in many 3G Android mobile devices so hoping that it is possible in this phone as well.
If it is possible by doing some hardware hacking then I am ready to do it as long as it is reasonable.
Another option is to use a mobile hotspot device. Some folks did that to get better data speeds on their Jolla phone as it only got 2g in US.

Would you provide a link that describes manually switching bands on android phones. Sounds interesting although I would think the hardware limits what bands are usable.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland
I've read that the Network Signal Guru is able to select particular band on Android OS. Needs root access.
Although, I haven't tested it on my own.

Here are some people's experiences (in Polish language): https://www.telepolis.pl/forum/viewt...rt=180#p885174

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that an LTE modem configured to use frequency bands Foo, Bar and Baz might potentially be enabled to use the band Qux, if the radio allows it and is just disabled by a software configuration. I assume this is the story with said Android devices.

But no amount of tweaking can turn a non-LTE modem into LTE. The N900 does not have an LTE modem. End of story.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
This is possible in many 3G Android mobile devices so hoping that it is possible in this phone as well.
Would you provide a link that describes manually switching bands on android phones. Sounds interesting although I would think the hardware limits what bands are usable.
I think OP is confusing this with the fact that some LTE devices have a selection of bands available for use, and some bands that are locked out due to the fact that the device is meant to be used in certain parts of the world. (as different bands are allowed/available in different countries...)
On some devices it is possible to flash another baseband firmware to enable the locked-out bands, but this is of course only possible if the chipset of the device supports those bands.
Flashing a 4G baseband to a 3G-only chipset is of course not possible!

OK, this is another thing alltogether; how much of HW hacking you are prepared to do? For example swithcing the motherboards of your N900 to Neo900 hardware equivalents makes this possible.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland
And regarding unlocking some additional LTE bands I also have read about some tools for Qualcomm and Mediatek based devices.
The threads on XDA are showing up under the "mediatek lte xda" or "qualcomm lte xda" queries to Google.
Although, like previously, I haven't tested it out on my own.

Of course if there is no support for 4G/LTE at all in the hardware, then there would not be possible to enable that (like said previously).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
What you could do, however, is get an USB-stick 4G modem (usually called a "mokkula" in finnish BTW) and stick that into da USB port of your device. With right kind of SW tweaks you should be able to run your data connection through that external modem and still have the internal modem take care of your voice traffic.
You can even run the modems with active 3G and 4G data connections in parallel, achieving better throughput than any of your friends with their fancy modern Android/iOS devices
Have people gotten usb modem to work on Jolla or n9/n950?
If so, and you happen to know, would you provide link that explains how to. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
get one of the mobile hotspots like the one in this video and use wifi. then you have all you need, good data and calls and you can use whatever sim for data== > cheapest prepaid you can find. No need to hassle with phone soft / hardware .
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HFsJxOVir2g

other link for mobile hot spots
http://www.bestproducts.com/tech/gad...wifi-hotspots/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to feedme For This Useful Post: