Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
What's the problem with a three-key reset? I for one would definitely not want it on a single key.

Re reasons to switch. Mine was when MS made the "Genuine Advantage" update compulsory. My installation was genuine and legal but I did not like being snooped on.

I regret to have to say that the lack of stability and, above all, usability was my main reason for switching too... from Linux back to Windows. I now use a Windows PC with FOSS everything except the OS itself.
Do you say you want 3 button click to lock your phone? Becouse that is probobly what the user do 99% ctrl alt del

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-09-21 at 20:27.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Oh, I thought it was about the Jolla tablet refund

It's a good one I wonder how many times I have done that command, not to mention when it comes to the whole population. Isn't it possible to sue him for that in US?
Ha ha. Well, the roll of the dice did not work in my favor this month. So, in the future there is no confusion, I will reserve the phrase "Holy Sh!!!" if and when I get a refund.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
probobly
I've just done a TMO-wide search for that word. Hands up, who can guess the identity of the only poster who uses it?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I've just done a TMO-wide search for that word. Hands up, who can guess the identity of the only poster who uses it?
I know you didn't, would not or couldn't answer so you switched the topic as always

My guess.. ... MartinK

What's the reason behind the new form factors from Samsung and possibly others?

. --------- .
. --------- .
. --------- .
. --------- .
. --------- .
. --------- .
. --------- .
. --------- .
. --------- .

I also cant figure who came up with English language! You get on the bus but you get in the car.

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-09-23 at 12:15.

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
I regret to have to say that the lack of stability and, above all, usability was my main reason for switching too... from Linux back to Windows.
Interesting. I'd like to know more. My experience is quite the opposite. I've found Linux (the kernel) to very stable, even on non-LTS releases. I can't say the same about Linux userspace but that's another story. I recently ditched KDE after many years due to random KWin crashes on a so-called stable release. The beauty with Linux is you easily swap it out for something else. Some will call it fragmentation but that's what I love most about it. I switched to i3 and now I have a stable system again and haven't looked back.

As for Windows, well it's no longer unstable per se as it used to be years ago. It's improved tremendously in this department but one thing they haven't fixed is the need to run a full reboot after making changes to userspace. I've noticed in Windows 10 that they are now quite aggressive in automatically rebooting overnight after updates have been installed. I came to work this morning and found my Windows PC had rebooted without my permission. Although I didn't lose any work, it took me about 10 minutes to set everything up again the way I like it. That to me is as good as a system crash.

I realise that the reboot after update behaviour is probably overrideable and may have even been configured by my company's update policy but the fact of the matter is that it's bad design. Meanwhile, Linux is gaining features like kGraft and kpatch which enable live kernel patching and Windows is stuck in the 1970s with reboots due to changes in userspace.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2017-09-26 at 04:23.

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Most probobly it is MartinK

pichlo and wicket ...
concur with you both...
the only way to use windows is with foss applications....
even still...the insistence of 10 to update and reboot without permissions is not at all comfortable.
7 is in my opinion more bearable ...it doesn't have the adware for starters...but even 7 has been pushed into the arena of mandatory updates..

Linux is much more comfortable...in that it just works..(shy of kde..yeah ..which is a pity...for years now I have been hoping their "stable" would actually be just that..thanks for that lil' reminder that things haven't changed much there...I was going to give 'er another go this month...I will promptly forget that now...for at least another year or two...)
ReactOS has been coming along well..for the windows-esque compat.
I do miss the co-operative linuxes that used to run on windows...

i3 eh? you're a tiler are you wicket?
I always liked the weird ones...the oddballs...the antiques...
Wmaker (classic)
Fvwm and 2
Fluxbox (loveeee flux)
Flwm
Ice even...
I loved enlightenment...buuuuutttttt....(ach there is always a "but" with enlightenment...I found it is great for optimizing to your system...but lacks real integration...)
I kinda enjoyed what there was of razor...but it keeps getting picked up and dropped ...and changed all the time ..I have pretty much given up hope..

Kde and plasma I did have big hopes for..but yeah ...stability...and I can bear instable..unstable...hell...behind-the-stable even...
but it does get tiring dealing with a system that one just ends up fighting with...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2017-09-26 at 00:45.

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
i3 eh? you're a tiler are you wicket?
I guess I am now. I only installed i3 a couple of weeks ago, but I think I'm going to stick with it. I've never been much of a distro hopper, or desktop environment hopper for that matter. I had considered trying a tiling window manager in the past but a combination of laziness and not being able to decide which one to learn/use left me stranded on KDE. I recently tried XFCE which came with a recent Devuan install but after a few weeks I decided I didn't really like it and I wasn't inspired to install KDE or any other desktop environment. I guess laziness got the better of me again - I didn't want to learn a new programming language (Lua for Awesome or Haskell for xmonad) just use a bloody GUI so I settled on i3. So far, so good. I've still got plenty to learn but it didn't take long to learn what was needed to make it useful.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I'm not very much of a GUI person, hence I cross-use pretty much Gnome/KDE/none as my window manager, depending on where I am working at that moment.

To sum it up really, a "Graphical display" for me is just a place to hang my xterms on

Smartphones are so 1999. Windows is so 1995. Linux is so 1989.

Jackets are so 2017. Atleast that's what I heard.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...t-jacket-denim

Smart jacket and eBike and you are good. To go,

Tags
countdown, dooms_day, specc is the, troll ericsson