Notices

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
There were other fixes that were not related to short clips. General stuttering problems that appeared on "song-length" ogg files in 1.1 were fixed (at least for the files that I tested) in 1.1.1

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
I can confirm that the voice quidance does work now.

Before the Ogg fix I recall there was no sounds at all, regardless the clip length.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Hi all,

Just to make sure that it actually works for me, I will try it later when I drive back home. Will report this evening or tomorrow..

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ GTA Ontario
I'm in Georgetown Ontario (Canada)
And though the bridge across the tracks is a devided two-way bridge, It does not want to route across going North.
And actually does not even takes the closer bridge to the East, but goes clockwize , then overshoots, before coming back to the North ramp.

Going south all works as designed.

Could not insert pictures... Find them here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65436639@N05/?saved=1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/6543663...57627118341391

Last edited by gadgetChris; 2011-07-20 at 20:57.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by gadgetChris View Post
I'm in Georgetown Ontario (Canada)
And though the bridge across the tracks is a devided two-way bridge, It does not want to route across going North.
And actually does not even takes the closer bridge to the East, but goes clockwize , then overshoots, before coming back to the North ramp.

Going south all works as designed.

Could not insert pictures... Find them here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65436639@N05/?saved=1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/6543663...57627118341391
This is not a Marble error but error in Openstreetmap database. I looked the map data and there is lots of overlapping/duplicate roads that some are missing the connection between them. I tried to clean it up but noticed that the area where this problem exists is big and the task is a bit more that I'm willing to spend my time... However, I think I did correct it enough so that once the database is updated your routing problem is gone. If you are interested in fixing similar problems in this area, you should consider opening account at openstreetmap.org and edit the map by yourself. It is not that difficult when using Potlatch tool that works on any browser with Flash. (The tool launches itself when you click the "edit" tab.)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Posts: 38 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ GTA Ontario
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
This is not a Marble error but error in Openstreetmap database. I looked the map data and there is lots of overlapping/duplicate roads that some are missing the connection between them. I tried to clean it up
... However, I think I did correct it enough so that once the database is updated your routing problem is gone.
Thanks I'll check that.

If you are interested in fixing similar problems in this area, you should consider opening account at openstreetmap.org and edit the map by yourself.
Will look into that!
Now we have this wonderful appl. called Marble, It's worth it, to have goodlworking maps.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Well, as far as I could tell yesterday the voice navigation worked fine with ogg-support 1.1.1.

What bothers me is that even though the N900 volume was set to the max, the voice instructions were a bit too quiet for my taste (or rather, for my ears . Maybe it's an issue with the voice files, so I'll try to test with another voice.

Another thing that really bothers me is that when I'm traveling south, the arrow is pointing (and moving) down, which:

(1) makes it difficult to have an overview of where you are and what's coming, especially because:

(2) the "status bar" having the navigation instructions is always at the bottom and taking a good 25-30% of the screen real estate, so basically all I could see was an arrow pointing to the status bar, i.e. no details of where I was heading to.

As a further suggestion I would like to have portrait-mode support (I cannot reliably turn my holder 90°), plus normally you want to see what's ahead of you (see points 1 and 2 above), not what is left and right of you..

Also, if I may, I would like to ask what I have to do to have SI units instead of those archaic miles. I realise my settings (all LC_* variables) are set to en_US, but I've read about regional settings not being properly handled my Marble/QT, so it would be nice if one could configure this (it's just setting one of two alternatives) independently of the device's regional/language/who-knows-what settings.

Thanks a lot!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
Thanks for testing ogg-support 1.1.1 with Marble everyone, appreciated. Great to hear it's now working fine, just in time for Marble 1.2.0 which will land in extras-devel pretty soon.

Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Well, as far as I could tell yesterday the voice navigation worked fine with ogg-support 1.1.1.

What bothers me is that even though the N900 volume was set to the max, the voice instructions were a bit too quiet for my taste (or rather, for my ears . Maybe it's an issue with the voice files, so I'll try to test with another voice.
Increasing the volume of the sound files (using e.g. audacity) would work. Note that there is still an issue with the playback since phonon (which we use for playback) seems to ignore the volume settings of the device.

Another thing that really bothers me is that when I'm traveling south, the arrow is pointing (and moving) down, which:

(1) makes it difficult to have an overview of where you are and what's coming, especially because:

(2) the "status bar" having the navigation instructions is always at the bottom and taking a good 25-30% of the screen real estate, so basically all I could see was an arrow pointing to the status bar, i.e. no details of where I was heading to.
This is indeed annoying. So far I didn't fix it as the code part that does the centering is not aware of the position of the boxes drawn upon the map. So if I'd hardcode it (ugly) to center on a more upward points, moving the info box around would kill that hack.

As a further suggestion I would like to have portrait-mode support (I cannot reliably turn my holder 90°), plus normally you want to see what's ahead of you (see points 1 and 2 above), not what is left and right of you..
Portrait mode (and many other nice UI improvements) will come with the MeeGo version "Marble Touch" we're currently working on. We've got a GSOC student working on it currently and can test it on a N950 (which is btw. an amazing device, both in terms of hardware and software).

Also, if I may, I would like to ask what I have to do to have SI units instead of those archaic miles. I realise my settings (all LC_* variables) are set to en_US, but I've read about regional settings not being properly handled my Marble/QT, so it would be nice if one could configure this (it's just setting one of two alternatives) independently of the device's regional/language/who-knows-what settings.

Thanks a lot!
Regional settings are now handled correctly by Marble on the N900. If you want a different distance unit than your regional settings specify, you can edit the config file /home/user/.config/kde.org/Marble Desktop Globe.conf
Scroll down to the [View] section and change it like this

Code:
[View]
distanceUnit=0
Another thing I personally change there is setting angleUnit=1 which results in decimal degree display instead of decimal degrees minutes seconds.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by earthwings View Post
Portrait mode (and many other nice UI improvements) will come with the MeeGo version "Marble Touch" we're currently working on. We've got a GSOC student working on it currently and can test it on a N950 (which is btw. an amazing device, both in terms of hardware and software).
Do You plan to port it for Fremantle also? for people that don't have chance to get N950 and don't want to use N9? Or it is planned to be for N950 mainly (all 250 of them )
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
That's a good question; let me speculate a bit. I will put the majority of my development energy into the software running on my primary smartphone. Currently that's the N950 and seeing how lovely it is I'll try to keep a hold on it as long as possible
The QML based Marble Touch shares a lot of code with the original Marble application -- after all the major part of Marble is the marblewidget library. The user interface however is a complete rewrite, so porting improvements to the (original) Fremantle version would mean to implement it separately. For portrait mode this may be easy to achieve; I heard that Bernhard has enabled it on his N900 and it works fine. If it doesn't need too many changes, I might introduce it in one of the next minor version updates even.
Another way to port things to the N900 would be to port the new Marble Touch application to the N900. That mainly depends on the Qt Quick / Qt Components support for Maemo.

The Following User Says Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:

Tags
marble, nokia n900