Closed Thread
Hum, my bad, I have read the entire thread 2-3 times and missed that. I suppose it's what it do when you read and have your attention on something else (playing with the neat feature on the tablet )

Ok, fine, I will install the hack. But does someone know why it do this? If yes, we can try to solve this problem more "cleanly".

EDIT : does restoring /etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.defs make the Debian chroot continue to work?

Last edited by djf_jeff; 2008-07-11 at 12:50.

So I take it to enter a password for the package manager, and owning a N800, I need a keyboard.... doh!

Originally Posted by djf_jeff View Post
Ok, fine, I will install the hack. But does someone know why it do this? If yes, we can try to solve this problem more "cleanly".

EDIT : does restoring /etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.defs make the Debian chroot continue to work?
I think that it's necessary for using IceWM...

Originally Posted by birneyw View Post
So I take it to enter a password for the package manager, and owning a N800, I need a keyboard.... doh!
With the Synaptics shortcut in Maemo, password is not asked.
For root password in chroot, it's the same as in maemo. If you haven't configured it (in maemo), try "passwd" in root (with gainroot package, "sudo gainroot").

Last edited by murphy; 2008-07-11 at 13:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to murphy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by murphy View Post
I think that it's necessary for using IceWM...

With the Synaptics shortcut in Maemo, password is not asked.
For root password in chroot, it's the same as in maemo. If you haven't configured it (in maemo), try "passwd" in root (with gainroot package, "sudo gainroot").
doh, didnt check there, thanks! worked like a charm.... now im an installing foo

Originally Posted by djf_jeff View Post
Hum, my bad, I have read the entire thread 2-3 times and missed that. I suppose it's what it do when you read and have your attention on something else (playing with the neat feature on the tablet )

No, you're getting it confused. That hack (I personally term it a "tweak", but whatever...) is installed when you install qole's package.
It has 2 effects:
  1. Makes all dialogs draggable (highly desirable, since some apps in Debian have dialogs too large to fit on-screen)
  2. Makes all dialogs start up in the corner of the screen. (collateral damage; it's not as nice, but no real harm, since you can always drag them back...)
It takes effect next time matchbox starts; unless you are clever, that just means on the next reboot.

EDIT: Plainspeak translation: No, you won't install the hack; you did that earlier!

As for cleaner solutions, it's just the way matchbox does things; using a different window manager or writing and submitting a patch to matchbox are pretty much the options available...
Well, the chroot works either way; if you undo that tweak, you're left with dialogs centered, but non-draggable; everything will still work, but you'll run into some dialogs so large you can't reach the OK and Cancel buttons...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Thank you very much for explaining clearly!

Other small question : If I only run the Debian application in IceWM, I am not affected if I revert back to non dragable screen, if I understand correctly?

I believe that's entirely correct.

Okay, so I got the package installed and extracted, and got the "congratulations" message, but what do I do now? The debian chroot program is asking for a password that I don't have, and if there's another way to start it up I don't know about it. This is my first time modifying my precious little tablet, so I'm a little confused.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
First, reboot after congrats message. I think I'll add that to the install instructions.

Sounds like you need to install some way to get root(like easyroot), or you can try (after rebooting, from X-Term, not Debian chroot):
Code:
sudo su -
passwd

Hmm, "passwd" doesn't seem to be working. I also tried "rootme" and just "root". Do you have to put the root password into debian chroot to start the debian programs?

Okay, hold on, this is weird. I used easyroot to change my password, but then anytime chroot (or any other terminal) prompts me for the root password, it does not recognize it. I went back into easyroot, changed it again, same deal. What's going on? What password is it asking for?

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, easy debian, obsolete