Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Hello,
I recently went back from power kernel 49 to Maemo stock kernel on N900
1. because I wanted to install Uboot and
2. because power kernel messed up the bluetooth connection, music player becoming unusable with bt headset.

Now I found out both Mobile Hotspot apps (Qt and regular) require power kernel, Uboot can be used on power kernel, and not being able to overclock is also a downside of the stock kernel.

My questions:
1. Which version of power kernel is known to work well with the above applications (Qt/ non-Qt Mobile Hotspot, Uboot)?
2. Are there any reports of bluetooth issue being fixed in pk v. 50 (did not say so in changelog, so I'm guessing no, but I hope asking won't hurt anyone)?
3. How do I need to proceed to make power kernel get along with Uboot?

Thanks, Ben

btw. I am running CSSU testing release v. 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo3.1

Last edited by bennypr0fane; 2012-05-07 at 18:51. Reason: posted solution

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Hello,
I recently went back from power kernel 49 to Maemo stock kernel on N900
1. because I wanted to install Uboot and
2. because power kernel messed up the bluetooth connection, music player becoming unusable with bt headset.

Now I found out both Mobile Hotspot apps (Qt and regular) require power kernel, Uboot can be used on power kernel, and not being able to overclock is also a downside of the stock kernel.

My questions:
1. Which version of power kernel is known to work well with the above applications (Qt/ non-Qt Mobile Hotspot, Uboot)?
2. Are there any reports of bluetooth issue being fixed in pk v. 50 (did not say so in changelog, so I'm guessing no, but I hope asking won't hurt anyone)?
3. How do I need to proceed to make power kernel get along with Uboot?

Thanks, Ben

btw. I am running CSSU testing release v. 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo3.1
It should be in the changelog, but the issue with bluetooth headsets has been fixed in pk v50. AFAIK any version of kernel power should work with mobile hotspot. I can't help you with uboot, as I've never used it.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
from the changelog of KP50
"* Fixed the famous BT headset disconnecting issue"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
KP50, no problem at all with bluetooth headset and writing this post from pc using MobileHotSpot

Never used uboot, anyway...

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on May 2011 @ india
If you want to use yr N900 as hotspot only than use kp but take this in mind that battery stand by time will be max to max 12-14 hours. If you want good standby time than you should stick with stock kernel because I am writing this post from N900 on 49th hour after last full battery charging.still it is showing me 15 % battery remaining.

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by forsagar View Post
... If you want good standby time than you should stick with stock kernel because I am writing this post from N900 on 49th hour after last full battery charging.still it is showing me 15 % battery remaining.
Bullsh|t

10 chars

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
from the changelog of KP50
"* Fixed the famous BT headset disconnecting issue"
Yeah, I did find that bit after going through the announcement again. I think I had used thread search with "bluetooth", or maybe I just overread it, sorry... I gotta admit I had given up for this to get fixed!
The reason I want U-boot is for being able to test Nemo from SDcard.

I have managed to get U-Boot together with kp50 installed now, which is actually not a big hassle, but needs to be done right. Instructions can be also found in UBoot thread, in the announcement post for the latest version. If you want to try it, use steps described below at your own risk (or check Pali's thread)! I do not take responsibility for any errors!

First install latest U-Boot.
This latest version of U-Boot is the only one that allows for kp to get along with UBoot (one problem is, simple installation of one will remove/disable the other).
That means if you already have an older version of Uboot, it needs to be replaced by the current one (at time of writing this) first.
To do so, you can't just overwrite the old version, you have to remove it completely. One way of doing that is to reinstall Nokia kernel.
To install U-Boot, download 2 packages from U-Boot announcement thread and dpkg -i.
1st "u-boot-tools",
2nd "u-boot-flasher".
After that, it's as simple as
Code:
sudo apt-get install kernel-power-bootimg
this is not to be confused with the regular power kernel package!
and then
Code:
u-boot-update-bootmenu
Reboot with the keyboard open.
You can now choose which kernel to boot.
There isn't currently an option to make the power kernel boot by default. If you don't do anyhting during boot or boot with keyboard closed, Nokia kernel will be booted.
I hope I got everything right, this is the first time I'm writing a rather detailed how-to.
Enjoy,
Ben

..btw now I get the same kinda acceptable bt headset expierence (Nokia BT-505) as with stock kernel! Yay!

Last edited by bennypr0fane; 2012-05-03 at 22:20.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on May 2011 @ india
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
Bullsh|t

10 chars
well then tell me how this graph is plotted ? (check the date with my first reply)
still are you feeling this is bullsh|t ?
this image is not edited or not created in photoshop if you want more guaranty than i can show you another days screenshot. (but for that you have to wait for next 2 days)
Attached Images