Posts: 43 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Romania
First of all: Hi! I was on the verge of buying the N900, but this morning my brother comes to me and says: "hey something happened with maemo." He doesn't care too much about tech/phones etc so didn't know what really happened. After hearing about Maemo - Moblin merge, I simply do not want to buy it anymore.
Reading through this thread I've found out that MeeGo apps will be ported to the N900 thanks to the community, but it's not fair to let everything to the community.
I cannot understand why Nokia released this product. I thought that it will be upgradeable to Maemo 6, but nobody knows that for sure. Or maybe somebody knows. The Maemo community (that's you guys!) can do a lot with this tablet, but Nokia cannot leave it up to the community.
What should I do? I don't like other devices, I like the N900. I won't use it at its full potential all the time, but I want to know that some functionalities are there. I hope that Nokia won't abandon the N900, but you never know what will happen.
Again: what should I do? Should I buy it or wait until Q2 when Meego should be released? I desperately want (not need, just WANT) a handset right now. I leave it up to you...

What always strikes me odd with these complains about "N900 not getting this and that and soon becoming obsolete" is the attitude, that when you buy a device from a vendor, now suddenly everyone is expecting to get free new major operating system releases and new features for free, for an undefined duration way into the future.

And conversely getting pissed off every time something new is announced without having an explicit mention given, that "yes it will also run on your device you bought last year".

And yes, notice they haven't closed the door on community-driven solutions. I fully expect the net to be full of MERgos and WEEgos and whatnot for the N900 in the not too distant future .)

I am pretty satisfied with the user features the N900 ships with currently, and especially the developer offering is getting better almost daily. There's all this progress happening with Qt, MADDE, Qt Creator etc. and updates are pouring in almost on a daily basis it seems.. I'll give you that the initial Scratchbox-based SDK offerings weren't all laden with honey and sugar though.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toninikkanen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Freemantle View Post
so Meego has been in the offing since last spring.

N900 released just before christmas without any hint that it's OS would be out of date.

surely I've just been mugged by Nokia.
And where can you see that nokia have announced that n900 WON'T be upgradeable to Meego? There are as a matter of fact some things that tells us that n900 will be upgradeable to Meego. One thing is that they say that Meego will have support for ARM. Another one is that there is a n900 on MeeGos frontpage. I highly doubt that they would have one there if it wouldn't be upgradeable to Meego,

Hopefully we n900 users will be able to upgrade to this one later.

Originally Posted by lasseaagren View Post
from http://meego.com/about/faq:

* Will MeeGo use .rpm or .deb as its packaging system?
* MeeGo will use the .rpm format

That's just too bad IMO. .rpm is inferior in every way to .deb.
Please let's not start yet another package format religious war. Both have their pros and cons, and I'm happy they picked (either) one, certainly better than allowing both and making all developers have to do twice the packaging work.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
so to make this clear to me- there is a small chance that the n900 will be getting meego, however if it doesnt(most likely), there is a great chance that it will be ported to the n900 via community, also if n900 is forgotten by nokia, it will be very easy to port apps, etc. to the n900 if the n900 gets an official release of QT 4.6?
i hope i havent missed anything out. plz remind me if i have.

MeeGo is great news for nokia and for the rest of us, its just us n900 users dont want to feel like idiots for only being testers for nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to salawat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted by salawat View Post
i hope i havent missed anything out. plz remind me if i have.
Hmmmm... from all of the info I got from this forum and the FAQ in MeeGo's page you seem to be pretty correct.

But again, do not take my word for granted. I dont work for Nokia and I dont have secret sauces telling me what will happen. It is still better you to try to find your own info.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
The merge of maemo & MeeGo is a great idea.

Imagine this open-platform is available to other hardware manufacturers.

You would not have to depend on Nokia for the next Maemo / Moblin device hopefully other manufacturers will sell similar devices.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 164 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Chateauroux, FRANCE
Mer and MeeGo should merge too !

concentrate developpement to be more powerfull !!!

The Following User Says Thank You to TheBootroo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ England
Originally Posted by Zidust View Post
And where can you see that nokia have announced that n900 WON'T be upgradeable to Meego? There are as a matter of fact some things that tells us that n900 will be upgradeable to Meego. One thing is that they say that Meego will have support for ARM. Another one is that there is a n900 on MeeGos frontpage. I highly doubt that they would have one there if it wouldn't be upgradeable to Meego,

Hopefully we n900 users will be able to upgrade to this one later.
you're a fool if you believe that a blurry photograph of an N900 is proof that it will be supported

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hannover, Germany
A thumbs-up from me. I bought the N900 to show Nokia, I want such an open source Linux computer+phone. And MeeGo is the right step to join forces and open the platform.
Ok, the name "MeeGo" sounds ... strange and rpm for deb is epic fail.
Nokia should support the N900 with strong updates or with an announcement that MeeGo supports the N900, otherwise I see problems to sell this device now.

Bye

Thorsten

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war