Posts: 53 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Madrid Spain
Hi everybody,
I'm starting "working" with arduino for litle electronic projects and I'm surfing old forum messages about the n900 and arduino.
Is there a way for use Arduino IDe (or equivalent) and upload a sketch on Arduino connecting it directly to n900 usb? I'd give tension to arduino for separate way so I hope that usb amperage could be not so important.
Any resource or link about n900 and this funny little thing?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to anjin For This Useful Post:
You mean you want to write your arduino sketch and upload it to the board over USB directly from the N900? I have never tried this, but i'm assuming you have seen this thread in your research:

Arduino IDE on N900?

Because of the Java libraries included with the IDE, it suggests trying Easy Debian to run the IDE (to give the N900 Java support) with USB Host Mode enabled on the N900. Have you already attemped this, or willing to try? It would be interesting to see if you can get it to work

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Yes I saw this thread, but it's pretty old. I didn't tried, but I understood that things didn't work so well at the end.
I hoped now Arduino is always more used, someone found something new for maemo. It seems that the easier way is using bluetooth or wifi for serial data communication, and some other machine (desktop or maybe some other mobile platform) for programming and transferring the sketch to the arduino board.

In order to upload code to the Arduino you don't need the full IDE.

the only thing you need is avrdude, a command line application that can be easily compiled on most linux distributions.

then you need to find the .hex file generated by arduino and copy it on the n900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbanzi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mbanzi View Post
In order to upload code to the Arduino you don't need the full IDE.

the only thing you need is avrdude, a command line application that can be easily compiled on most linux distributions.

then you need to find the .hex file generated by arduino and copy it on the n900.
I'm going to read about it. Until now I only used .pde files for arduino. I don't know what these .hex are. Thank you for the answer.
I am pretty newbie about all this.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 173 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Melb
how did you go?

did you manage to get it working?

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moscow, Russia
Perhaps this video will be useful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=80pHPJeEong
It shows an example of a USB connection using the QtDruino library: https://github.com/kirik-ch/QtDruino

Sorry, I wrote in other place on the forum and didn't here. My n900 died past summer, in a unfortunely wet end. I didn't find another one in my area (well I found one but... 400€!!! And another used one but very bad condition) so at the end I finished without n900 and passed at a cheap htc Desire Z. It's not so bad but it's not n900. Worst thing in android (for me) it's the strange multitasking...

I still play with arduino with some friends at local "hackerspace", one of the latest wip is a simple robot arm.

Sometimes still look for n900 but not budget now for another toy, and no one at see at the moment.

Of course it's up to You, but I would say "sell that **** and buy N900" - in my place, it's around 200$ (used, good condition). Even including shipping costs to Spain (Poland is not so far away), it's still cheaper than what You've found. Again, You do what You feel fancy, but if You need N900, I can help You getting one.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Of course it's up to You, but I would say "sell that **** and buy N900" - in my place, it's around 200$ (used, good condition). Even including shipping costs to Spain (Poland is not so far away), it's still cheaper than what You've found. Again, You do what You feel fancy, but if You need N900, I can help You getting one.

/Estel
Thank you, I'll think about it. Normally I prefer to buy in a physical shop. I bought my n900 at 260 € new, with box still closed. There are some project to port ubuntu on some android devices (I think at least double core) so I suppose a lot of new possibilities for a future not so far.
I consider myself a strange kind of user, not a real power user, but surely more than a simple normal user...

Tags
arduino, nokia n900