Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
I tried keeping Desktop 2 for GIMP, but inevitably when I am on Desktop 2 I forget and end up with applications spread across the two desktops at random.
It's annoying to use several virtual desktops unless you have window rules setup. For example, using Compiz I can tell application windows, where I want it to spawn, how big I want it, if I want it on top, transparent, whatever. So no matter where say I open thunderbird, Compiz will show thunderbird in desktop 4, maximized and on top.

Though I think Maemo is using virtual desktops in a different fashion. The windows themselves are not restricted to a certain virtual desktop. The virtual desktops are just several different launchpads or areas of information. Think something like the iPhone/iPod where you see all the applications on different pages. But instead of just applications you can now setup shortcuts to call people, widgets for information at a glance, etc..So you can have one for work, one for family, one for school, one for friends, one for information at a glance (news, rss feeds, facebook, twitter), etc..

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
I'm not a fan of virtual desktops (on a desktop system) either. For some of the same reasons stated here.

But, on Android, the desktop isn't where the applications run. Perhaps because all applications are "full screen". The desktop is just where the application launcher lives. So, organizing similar launchers together ("work", "general phone", "personal/recreational") works. I never have an application running in the wrong desktop, because that's not how applications run.

That type of home/desktop screen would work for me.

But a "desktop computer" type virtual desktop would NOT.

And I'm not sure yet about the panning/continuous virtual desktop (as opposed to a discrete virtual desktop) planned for Maemo 6. I don't generally like systems I've used like that, either. Though, it might make it easier to display the desktop out to larger monitors and such.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sydney, Australia
If you haven't done so already, everyone please go to the Brainstorm item on this whole issue (Portrait Mode / Auto Screen Rotation)

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...ut_the_ui-002/

Have you say on the proposed solutions or add your own solutions/ideas.

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
If the Maemo 6 desktop is zoomable in a similar manner as liqbase I think it could be really sweet. Only panning seems a bit awkward to me as well, although I suppose choice is good. Noone will force you to have a large desktop if I understand correctly. You will start with a "display-sized" desktop (i.e. no panning) and then have the possibility to expand it.

The Following User Says Thank You to nymajoak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
For the applications which can comfortably support both modes, I would also prefer to CHOOSE to switch modes not have it automatic (though obviously you could have a toggle for people who prefer automatic screen rotation). If I bring the device out of screen-off mode in landscape, default to landscape and vice versa. There are too many times when ASR can trip up, like when I am watching a movie in bed. Obviously as Maemo 5 currently stands I will be able to do that fine, but once portrait mode is implemented (which we need for easy music navigation) then using ASR would cause the same problem.
On my N82, the choice was there to have ASR or not. You can switch it off. I'm guessing that means the accelerometre won't report any value changes, thus not causing any screen rotation. It's like a kill switch on the feature. It would be nice if there was an option in the media player (or photo viewer etc) to have ASR disabled via software, if you want to keep ASR everywhere else.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
nymajoak, I saw the liqbase demo videos, and when I saw Maemo 6's desktop mockups, I wondered if they'd use liqbase as the engine. THAT would be cool...

Originally Posted by Zelig87 View Post
If you haven't done so already, everyone please go to the Brainstorm item on this whole issue (Portrait Mode / Auto Screen Rotation)

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...ut_the_ui-002/

Have you say on the proposed solutions or add your own solutions/ideas.
The focus is no longer on that brainstorm I created, but this one, where we've combined efforts:

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor..._in_fremantle/

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
The focus is no longer on that brainstorm I created, but this one, where we've combined efforts:

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor..._in_fremantle/
I think who ever is moderating Brainstorm has other ideas......

Mario's "Portrait Mode for Desktop and General Interface in Fremantle" brainstorm has been moved to DUPLICATE. It can no longer be commented on and you can't vote for the proposed solutions.

Your original brainstorm (the one I linked) is still active and is located in Ideas in Development.

Well. DIDn't know that. Guess they merged it.

Hi!
I would love to see that Portrait mode would be available all over the phone. I think it would be nice to have the phone to fluidly change from landscape to portrait. Please make it happen

Niklas frisk

Tags
display, fremantle, landscape, maemo, maemo 5, orientation, portrait, portrait v. landscape war, use-case