Hi Sorry,

I think you have guessed im new!!

ITs a N900 - the issue i have is the phone doesnt reconise my e-mail account.
I called up vodaphone and they said sorry we cant help.
I have looked at the sites you provided and i have changed my settings to:
POP server: pop3.live.com (Port 995)
POP SSL required? Yes
User name: Your Windows Live ID, for example yourname@hotmail.com
Password: The password you usually use to sign in to Hotmail or Windows Live
SMTP server: smtp.live.com (Port 25 or 587)
Authentication required? Yes (this matches your POP username and password)
TLS/SSL required? Yes

But the message still comes up.

Farukh

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Italy
Hi,

I have a serious problem with the user guide. Actually there are 2 user guides but one of them is... I don't know, FAKE.

On the first page it features a picture of what seems to be an N8xx device (not sure which model), and the images throughout the rest of the guide picture lots of other models, very few pages actually show the N900 or N900-specific instructions. But what's worse is that the font of the text in some pages is different - it has an odd aspect ratio and it's blurry - it's as if someone took a screenshot of another manual's pages and then cropped it to put together this "guide" for the N900.

Care to explain what's going on? I for one am pretty sure the device is not a chinese clone, it's a genuine Nokia N900.

Last edited by giecsar; 2010-04-28 at 23:36.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Minnesota
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
Hi Sorry,

I think you have guessed im new!!

ITs a N900 - the issue i have is the phone doesnt reconise my e-mail account.
I called up vodaphone and they said sorry we cant help.
I have looked at the sites you provided and i have changed my settings to:
POP server: pop3.live.com (Port 995)
POP SSL required? Yes
User name: Your Windows Live ID, for example yourname@hotmail.com
Password: The password you usually use to sign in to Hotmail or Windows Live
SMTP server: smtp.live.com (Port 25 or 587)
Authentication required? Yes (this matches your POP username and password)
TLS/SSL required? Yes

But the message still comes up.

Farukh
There is a hotmail preset and if that doesn't work then your routers firewall is blocking the ports required.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by HSuhonen View Post
Hi all,

We at Nokia Care would like to hear your feedback on the Nokia N900 User guides and Get started guide. Your feedback will be valuable when making User guide updates for the next software releases and also when planning the User guide content for the next Maemo device. This is purely an informal feedback thread, as I'm also interested in learning how the Maemo community sees the role of end-user documentation in general for Maemo devices.
OK, I've not managed to search exhaustively, but I had three questions which I needed answers to.

1. How to make the text bigger in browser apps.
2. How to delete a note once it was created.
3. How to find help.

3. After a lot of searching online about item 3, I found I needed to go into a browser, pointed at the file system, navigate through the (sometimes hidden) directory structure until I found the appropriate html document. I then pinned that to my desktop. I could not find any link to it anywhere on the interface.

2. That did not give me any indication of how I can delete a file within File Manager - if I have the files in a directory listed, selecting it simply opens it, and there is no option within the menu to delete it. To do this I had to open up an X-terminal, navigate to the directory the note was saved to, and then use rm to delete.

1. I have found no explanation about how I might change the text size (using the up/down arrows doesn't seem to work - I did find that doing a kind of circular stroke with the pen did, but often as not it would just move the page or select an item). I really do have trouble reading text I am trying to enter on web pages.

During this process I found another issue, when trying to grep a file list (as in ls -la | grep '...'), there is no pipe symbol available through the keypad. This makes me wonder how it would be possible to work in vim without a pipe symbol available that way.

A proper user manual would be really useful, as the html one is a bit thin, and this is really closer to a computer OS than a mobile phone OS, and it is frustrating having to search online every time I need to know something.

M.

Last edited by mishmich; 2010-05-29 at 18:44. Reason: numbering

Hi colleages !

I am dissapointed with 2 thinks on my N900 and please answer me If somebody know.

1) Why we have not data/call counter with all traffic (sms/calls/internet) like on symbian (i had n97) and Does exist some app for it that I can install ?

2) Will Nokia get support for Maemo5 in future or not,or we will go on meego OS ?

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on May 2010 @ galveston, tx
Nokia can start wiki pages for each of its N-series device. That would be a very powerful method of involving the user base and community.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
How to delete a note once it was created: find it in File Manager, and tap-hold on it so that a context menu appears with delete, rename, move, etc.

About paper user guide: leave in it only basic explanation:
1. How to start N900 (for first time use, when a user knows nothing about it);
2. How to troubleshoot N900 (descriptions of flashing and Nokia Support; when user has broken something).

About PDF Guide:
1. Add a shortcut to it in App Launcher;
2. Expand it (all keyboard shortcuts, please; like Ctrl+Shift+P and "Screenshots are saved to Images/Screenshots folder", Ctrl+Shift+R);
3. Add some explanations for developers (like: what do values in transitions.ini mean and whether editing it can make something non-working; where are core X11 fonts installed and what X11 fonts are installed);

About online help:
when people send questions to asknokia, collect the most frequent/miscellaneous of them and include them into online help;
make it more clear WHAT is online help, where can it be found;
Maemo.org, nokia.com, asknokia.com, talk.maemo.org, forum.nokia.com, wiki.maemo.org - where is the center?
I Google each time I need something interesting - and I often cannot find an answer;
Like: does N900 have a digital compass?

never read manuals it's too complicated for me

Posts: 106 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Amazonia (Spain)
It is so great!
First, they give us another cam app (no one requiring it, but who cares!)
And now, they are so interested in our opinion about... guides!
GREAT NOKIA!. MAKING FRIENDS AGAIN!
Are you laughing of us? Are you bored or something like that before posting?
What about WORKING for us instead?

Coming soon

I read in the manual:

View MAFW plug-ins

You can view Media Application Framework (MAFW) plug-ins
that have been installed for the Media player.

Select > Media player.

Open the menu, and select Plug-ins and a plug-in.

Use the Application manager to install, update, or uninstall
plug-ins.
How do I "open the menu"??? I don't see any menu there.
Please help me to find it