http://noknok.tv/news/nokias-iphone-...ds-first-pics/

:drool:

*Commence Nokia Fanboyism*

Looks interesting, I wonder how far out it is 1-2 years? Likely.

Its good to see that Apple is causing the market to evolve.

Unless it has a bigger than 80Gb drive, it's not an iPod killer. Besides, in a year (maybe less) the iPods will have touchscreens as well.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Berlin, Germany
Engadget Video:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/29/n...-no-seriously/

The screen has similar dimensions compared to my beloved N800.

Texrat, it's your turn!

Beware of my English! Beware of my English!

Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
Unless it has a bigger than 80Gb drive, it's not an iPod killer. Besides, in a year (maybe less) the iPods will have touchscreens as well.
The iphone does have a touch screen. And the biggest the iphone has is 8 gb, so it could easily compete with the iphones flash memory. For it to be a iphone killer so to speak I think they'd have to make a better interface, and applications. Right now no third party applications can be installed on the iphone. What you get out of the box is it. That's why I love the internet tablets. I use it for everything from playing my old scumvm games, surfing on the couch, and watching movies on the road or listening to music while driving. Some of which I could still do with it out of the box, but do better with third party applications (I much prefer using kagu for music, and canola for movies)

Apple claims the reason they aren't allowing third party applications to be installed is because it could easily crash the network. Hopefully nokia finds some loop hole that could allow it to be open source. Other wise it might just be another fancy phone on the market that might not do somethings better or worse then the iphone.

Also a lilttle off topic but the minione is suppose to be coming out later this year (every where on the web i"ve looked says the release date is q4) and is suppose to also be a potential iphone killer. More info on it can be found here. http://www.engadget.com/tag/minione

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by thehobbit View Post
Apple claims the reason they aren't allowing third party applications to be installed is because it could easily crash the network. Hopefully nokia finds some loop hole that could allow it to be open source. Other wise it might just be another fancy phone on the market that might not do somethings better or worse then the iphone.
That's really one of the silliest statements from Apple in a very long time.

""You don't want your phone to be an open platform.... You need it to work when you need it to work. Cingular doesn't want to see their West Coast network go down because some application messed up.""

Of course there is a whole bunch of other reasons for Apple behind that move. Then again, it can of course influence the stability of the individual device. A poorly behaving 3rd party application can crash the device. Mostly I think it's about Apple controlling the user experience. It's much easier on a closed system, things can be far more integrated.

This could, of course, work AGAINST Nokia if this device isn't S60-based.
Nokia already abandoned the S80-for-Communucators platform by going with S60 for it, if this thing is yet another OS then they've pretty much fractured themselves again. However, if the GUI is nothing more than a program running on top of S60 3rd Edition and is fully compatible with current and future S60 applications then they really have something here.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ sofia, bulgaria
OPK confirmed in today's webcast that next year we will see TS S60 devices.

Originally Posted by chilko View Post
OPK confirmed in today's webcast that next year we will see TS S60 devices.
Hmmm...yeah, the jury's still out for me on TS-enabled S60 devices. I'd have to do some serious hands-on, especially with the reports of iPhone touchscreens going wonky with dead strips and having to be turned in for repair/replacement.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
That's really one of the silliest statements from Apple in a very long time.
I have heard that before - it was the reason that orange (uk) wouldn't have one of the linux phones, they couldn't have a system that the user could get to the network stack. In the symbian system the network stack has a amanagement section that stops people having direct access to the network. The iPhone runs OSX and no effort has ever been made (in fact the opposite) to prevent the user accessing the network directly.

You don't want your phone to be an open platform.... You need it to work when you need it to work.
Again, for 99% of people that is entirely true.

Mostly I think it's about Apple controlling the user experience. It's much easier on a closed system, things can be far more integrated.
Which is also a valid reason