Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Mika73 View Post
I am waiting for install package, course I dont know how to install it manually. :)

Does Frodo fun full screen or small window?

Currently Frodo is not scaled to fullscreen.

to assign disk images to frodo drive a edit ~/.frodorc and assign image type and name, for e.g.:
DriveType8 = D64
DrivePath8 = /home/user/Frodo-4.1b/games/1942.d64

To learn more about C64 and disk images, see
http://www.df.lth.se/~ola/c64-dummies.html
I am working on the GUI now so that you don't have to edit frodorc to load disk images. Also several games require swapping disks during the game,

GUI

- Packaging tcl and tk for Nokia for GUi. done
- Modifying TK preferences window so that it can be hidden (currently hides the frodo window) and fits on screen

This requires...
- Learning tcl/tk programming

(edit 03:41) Frodo 4.1b does not support swapping of disk images during execution. According to one source, writing to disks without 1541 hardware emulation is said not to work. According to gui menu, mounting of multiple disks is not possible with 1541 hardware emulation turned-off.

(edit 05:04) Frodo Author Christian Bauer appears to have been working on an internal SDL GUI, which would avoid the problems with TK gui (creating a seperate window not registered with hildon), but no changes apparent since 2005

(edit 06:06) CVS access to frodo source with SDL menu appears to be blocked.
(edit 06:21) 10th try with given password and now checkout works.

(What? does he think that will keep me from getting his source?) :D

Looking at CVS now it appears the Frodo authors have a zaurus and that the sdl gui is in current development. It appears that a port with builtin gui features will be available fairly soon.

I have built a cvs version that runs now, but the fullscreen and arrow keys / dpad arrows do not work yet, so there is no user benefit over the previous release.

Last edited by ArnimS; 2007-04-29 at 05:19.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Just out of curiosity: When you decided to port a C64 emulator, did you investigate VICE? it has an optional GTK2 GUI, already runs on some embedded targets (GP2X) and quite likely has a different set of porting issues compared to Frodo.

You can find VICE at http://www.viceteam.org/

Originally Posted by jethro.itt View Post
Just out of curiosity: When you decided to port a C64 emulator, did you investigate VICE? it has an optional GTK2 GUI, already runs on some embedded targets (GP2X) and quite likely has a different set of porting issues compared to Frodo.

You can find VICE at http://www.viceteam.org/
Yes, but vice has a *lot* of unmet dependencies in scratchbox. I've been slowly hacking away at them. Currently it wants automake 1.9 but scratchbox only has 1.8 support. I managed to build an automake 1.9 deb but it conflicts with x-build.

dpkg -i automake1.9_1.9.6+nogfdl-3_all.deb
dpkg: regarding automake1.9_1.9.6+nogfdl-3_all.deb containing automake1.9:
x-build conflicts with automake1.9

i've contacted the x-build maintainer and asked if it's safe to force an overwrite, or if he could release an updated x-build. no response yet.

(edit) Also see this forum for info on Frodo for the 770 - seems one of the real develoeprs 'blachner' has a 770
http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php...ult_type=posts

cheers

Last edited by ArnimS; 2007-04-30 at 23:05.

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
Yes, but vice has a *lot* of unmet dependencies in scratchbox. I've been slowly hacking away at them. Currently it wants automake 1.9 but scratchbox only has 1.8 support.
I compiled VICE for 770 some time ago, but I don't remember having that much difficulties doing so (Maemo 2.0, Vice 1.20). The gnome gui (use --enable-gnomeui in configure) had only a few gnome function calls which had straightforward gtk equivalents, so it became gtk-only gui.

It worked, but was unusably slow (2-5 fps in games), so I just scrapped the whole project. Maybe it runs better in N800.

Originally Posted by psjobe View Post
I compiled VICE for 770 some time ago, but I don't remember having that much difficulties doing so (Maemo 2.0, Vice 1.20). The gnome gui (use --enable-gnomeui in configure) had only a few gnome function calls which had straightforward gtk equivalents, so it became gtk-only gui.

It worked, but was unusably slow (2-5 fps in games), so I just scrapped the whole project. Maybe it runs better in N800.
Strange, frodo runs nice and fast. - Not sure about fps since it's easily above 20 (edit on a 770(. Turning off speed limiting shows frodo running at 330% of C64 speed.

For Vice 1.20 i still have:

Unmet build dependencies: bison++ | bison flex libasound2-dev libbonobo2-dev libbonoboui2-dev libcairo2-dev libgnomecanvas2-dev libgnomeui-dev libieee1284-3-dev libpcap0.8-dev xaw3dg-dev libtwolame-dev libxmu-dev libxxf86dga-dev libxxf86vm-dev libxaw7-dev libxaw-headers

I haven't found out how to reduce those in the rules, configure and automake files.

Last edited by ArnimS; 2007-05-01 at 17:44.

Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
Strange, frodo runs nice and fast. - Not sure about fps since it's easily above 20 (edit on a 770(.
Vice is slower than Frodo in general, not just on 770. I guess the emulation is more accurate in Vice.

I haven't found out how to reduce those in the rules, configure and automake files.
I downloaded vice-1.21.tar.gz and it compiled without modifications with ./configure --enable-gnomeui ; make. Those few gnome functions I mentioned before have already been replaced with gtk equivalents in version 1.21.

I guess you are trying to make a deb package. The official tarball doesn't contain any debian/ directory. Anyway, I think you could just check that configure gets only the --enable-gnomeui switch in the rules file, and you could remove all package dependencies in the control file. That way you get it compiled to have a test run. Worry about the package dependencies sometime later.

Ok tested vice 1.21 and got keyboard+sound working.

When it's idling, and expensive options are turned off, it reports up to 21 fps on the 770. When running graphics intensive programs framerate drops to 2-3 fps, regardless of options i try.

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Finland
Any Frodo news?

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Finland
Still hoping to hear something new of C64 emulator..

I'm waiting for the Frodo authors to reply to my email questions about their plans. Looking at the CVS, they are revising the menu system to make it much more usable.

Until that gets done, i don't see Frodo being user-friendly enough for tablet owners who are shy of the linux shell.