Closed Thread
Thought I'd give you an update... nothing much happened since my last post, my work is progressing slowly as I do have some spare time, but only some. Also, I'll be gone the entire next week so don't expect anything happening then.

For anyone else who wants to have a crack at this: go ahead but unfortunately I can't/won't share the information I have because of the simple fact that it's all in my head or scrambled around in text files and putting it together in something coherent and usable will take too much time. Anyone experienced enough to reverse engineer WA won't have too much trouble gathering this information anyway so I don't expect that to be a problem.

I do have an official whatsapp on my android device, not really sure how I will sniff the data on the whatsapp?

Setup up a wireless network using my laptop as a gateway and sniff the traffic that way? i do have a usb wireless dongle so could do that once I am able to setup the routing tables.

The android code is pretty much the same as s40 I would assume, but I couldn't get the s40 app thats why I got the android one.

Probably not a good idea to share code from whats app - it's a grey area but i'm just saving people the hassle of doing it themselves.

What we really need is a working and compilable version of android whats app currently mine doesn't compile!

We also need a place to share ideas and put some of this code (not in a public place ofcourse) - that would help this project along immensely!

If you're a Java-Developer it may be better for you to decompile the S40 Version of WhatsApp? - Thats the version I had a look at and is written in Java

Oh and maybe it would be better not to share the "original" WhatsApp code here, just the things we found out about how it works.
I don't know the legal positon but sharing code that is (c) by WhatsApp isn't that good I would say

The last thing I think maybe would be good to know: Is somebody having a phone with an official WhatsApp version to do some sniffing? This may also would be helpful, especally to get to know i.e. what information the mobile phone really sends u.s.w.
-> A Nokia S40 Phone (which supports WhatsApp) would be the best I think because at least that would be the source where most of us are getting their information from?!

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
I do have an official whatsapp on my android device, not really sure how I will sniff the data on the whatsapp?

Setup up a wireless network using my laptop as a gateway and sniff the traffic that way? i do have a usb wireless dongle so could do that once I am able to setup the routing tables.
Because WhatsApp sends at least it's messages without encryption sniffing shouldn't be that hard I think. I don't have too much experience with this but using Wireshark with an IP filter for the phone in a non-encrypted Wifi maybe could to the job?

And just a small Update:
I noticed that I think my S40-Version of WhatsApp isn't the newest.
The newest MIDlet-Version should be 2.3.9 and mine is (as I wrote) 2.1.0 when I saw it correctly... - Does anybody with the S40-Code have a newer version?

Update: The newest version actually is 2.3.12 and I now was able to download this Version. Isn't that hard, you just have to look what the newest Version is

Update 2: I really should look at things before posting... >.< - The 2.3.12 now is obfuscated so I think it doesn't help that much

Last edited by ColaCheater; 2012-02-18 at 11:11.

Old versions are no longer on the server anymore!

Need to grab them from other places. Working on that now.

The Following User Says Thank You to rash.m2k For This Useful Post:
i don't think we need any newer version
for now i still did not understand what is required to build a plugin like (like skype or gtalk ones) for n900 ? empathy ? telepathy ? pidigin ? what exactly ?????????????

for now we have the login and registration procedures that works (yes !) lets implement them into "something" as a start , then after , implementing xmpp to that all won't be hard . 2-3 days of development would set that all . but the problem is WHAT TO DEVELOP ? get me an answer for that !

The Following User Says Thank You to teamer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by teamer View Post
i don't think we need any newer version
for now i still did not understand what is required to build a plugin like (like skype or gtalk ones) for n900 ? empathy ? telepathy ? pidigin ? what exactly ?????????????

for now we have the login and registration procedures that works (yes !) lets implement them into "something" as a start , then after , implementing xmpp to that all won't be hard . 2-3 days of development would set that all . but the problem is WHAT TO DEVELOP ? get me an answer for that !
As far as I understood hobarrera in his post we would need to write an Telepathy plugin so that it works with the N900.
The alternative would be to write an Pidgin plugin that then could be used in telepathy/N900 via a plugin for telepathy(?!)

Say we did create a plugin for something (one of those frameworks mentioned). Would we still be able to send files, have >1 party IM sessions, be able to send broadcast messages? (I have zero knowledge of this)

Porting WhatsApp is one thing, but the reason people use it is because of the above features, we need to make sure they are done otherwise it not really going to help many people.

The Following User Says Thank You to rash.m2k For This Useful Post:
Say we did create a plugin for something (one of those frameworks mentioned). Would we still be able to send files, have >1 party IM sessions, be able to send broadcast messages? (I have zero knowledge of this)

Porting WhatsApp is one thing, but the reason people use it is because of the above features, we need to make sure they are done otherwise it not really going to help many people.
This would depend on the Client using the Plugin.
The N900 i.e. supports file transfers for xampp, IM-Sessions with more than 1 person also is avaiable in xampp (don't know if the N900 offers this in the xampp Plugin), brodcast messages just are .xyz sound files send i think and so on. By this I would say yes, it is possible to do.
And even when we wouldn't be able to integrate it 100% into the n900 conversations, I think it still would be possible to create a program for handling this special things and letting the "normal" conversation work via the N900 conversations...

i don't know about files and group chat , but this is xmpp potocol so i think it would be possible , and for me , i'd rather send files via email ! for group chat ... i don't need it , i just want the whatsapp to be able to chat with my friends who have problems with skype(it takes lots of battery on other devices) and cuz 99% of my friends have whatsapp . thas my point of view . so basically i think only being able to IM other would be enough and a good start , other features might come later via an upgrade !

The Following User Says Thank You to teamer For This Useful Post:
Could some download the whatsapp from here and also save them?

http://www.filecrop.com/search.php?w...inc&order=size

Closed Thread

Tags
galal-t is da, kindergarten, mastar, new tmo low, shameful, tmo not cake, trollfest, whiny_girls