Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
ok i am an owner of an iphone and an n900 and i owned a htc hd2.

most of the time all phones ran smooth.

sometimes all phones do random things like lock up or hang on calls.

the n900 is no where near as smooth as the iphone- but it surley does alot of other things better.

my n900 is not filled to the brim with apps and stuff, neither is my iphone.

i will be getting the android htc whatever (the euro nexus) is called in april.

but up till know and i have used an iphone 3gs for 1 month(not worth the upgrade from the iphone 3g after 2 years as its just boring me). the n900 is the best phone out there.

To be honest, I was feeling the same thing after the firmware update so what I did was reflash the device using the Global variant. Everything was slow and laggy.

After the reflash my N900 has never been smoother and snappier. It's like I have a new phone everyday. I have a lot of extra-devel apps installed and my phone is very smooth

I can't explain how glad I was to see my phone that good after the reflash.

(Btw I reflashed it a week ago and it's still very smooth)

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Yesterday while I was using the N900 a lot and had several applications running I got a phone call. I did not hear any ringing, and only after half a minute or so, the N900 managed to display the name of the caller on the screen. No Accept or Reject buttons were visible, and tapping the area where Accept is supposed to be had no effect. Then I got a missed call notification and the device hang just like the 770 used to do when out of memory.

After rebooting the N900 I checked the swappiness value and reduced it to 30. Let's see how it will perform. I'm really surprised that it was set to 100, while Diablo on N8x0 has a swappiness of 1.

Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
My n900 had started to slow down considerably so I decided to cut the number of pages I was using: from 4 to 2.
I had a whole page just for bookmarks so it wasnt that hard.

I also ununstalled all the apps I was using rarely or near never, you know, in order to clear out the rootsh.
I then decided to stop using widgets than needed the internet such as the weather ones and the IP ones (the last ones are real cpu hoggers!).

Now the n900 is very snappy and responsive. Did I mention the battery is lasting SO much longer?

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

The Following User Says Thank You to El Amir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Hartford, CT
hi,

i dont know what is going on but my n900 is very sluggish. i just bought it on the 5th and it used be quick but now it is slowing down. any ideas?

im also attaching a screenshot when i was only running xterm. also what is this swap people are talking about? thanks.

edit: also the cpu hits the red zone quite often according to the cpu applet
Attached Images

Last edited by badsubby; 2010-03-13 at 10:53.

Posts: 143 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Stockholm, Sweden

That is when htop was the only application running. Is that normal? I have been experiencing some slowdowns too. I haven't seen the super fast and blazing N900 yet.

Originally Posted by masq View Post
@catacalysm:

Thanks for all the help. I certainly don't want to ask you to go too far on your phone but I'm curious: do you never feel like it gets a bit slow. At the end of my second day on this experiment I am noticing a slight slowdown. Its nothing unmanageable but I think its slower than this morning but its hard to be sure. If it doesn't become blatant than it might just be in my head.

But to compare more concretely can you please try some simple stuff. launch the media player and start an mp3. Pause it and launch a browser window. Then try connecting to a network. While its connecting switch to the music player and start it playing then switch immediately to a browser window and try to access a site (or reload an old one). When I did something like this music playback stuttered noticeably.

Even while typing this I got an sms and when I switched to check it music play stuttered a bit. Do you get this or do I have an issue.
Hi, I am having similar issues like you. While listening to music incoming SMS would cause the music to stutter for a few seconds. Incoming voice calls would stutter the music playback a few second before it automatically pause and the phone screen would appear in very slow refresh rate.

Occasionally while watching an xvid cartoon video using the built-in media player, it would stutter and lag for a few seconds then paused before the phone would display there is an incoming call but often it missed the call because it took more than 5 seconds for it to show the caller's screen.

I think over all this device is great but the SW is still immature and under developed. My theory is that Nokia has developed a great piece of hardware and rush out the SW for it so the rest of the world would pay an expensive price to get the phone and become their beta testers.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Mine just recently started slowing wayyy down. A reboot can help...some... but it's not as responsive as it was. I haven't installed anything recently, either (although an update *could* be responsible)

It's likely to me that some sort of garbage is accumulating somewhere and responsible for at least some of these complaints.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
That HealthCheck application is helpful for some issues, particularly for showing how much free rootfs space there is.

I got the impression that something acting like a spare part thrown into an engine slows down every N900 until the eMMC has been reformatted. I sure noticed a clear improvement when I reformatted mine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Mine didnīt start slowing down until after the 3rd firmware update. After it it becomes sluggish and creeps to a crawl after running 24-48 hours.

Before that itīd be on and sparky for 2-3 weeks at a time.

Same software installed. I blame it on some firmware changes Nokia made.

Tags
you're a mess