Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
He was an excellent business person and he knew that the general public needed a good artsy looking thing if they were to accept computers and electronics into their daily lives the way most tech saavy people already do. For that, he was indeed a business man and a great entrepreneur... but by no means an inventor or originator.
A very good friend of mine, who practically is an Apple convert -- mind you, educated, good with tech/computers (went from building his own Windows machines in the 90's to Linux to Mac) -- told me once he likes the feeling of opening up his Macbook in a public place like a coffee shop, that it makes him feel like he "belongs to a group". At first I laughed, then got irritated and finally argued with him for 2 hours. Point is, Jobs was able to make sane people do somewhat not-sane things while paying a premium for those things. A brilliant businessman indeed.

"The Cake Is A Lie"

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to frostbyte For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Close to you
Eventhough I dont heartly agree with some of the Apple ways -Closeness- and all, I have to admit I admire the way Apple came back alive and giving some of the best well thought and designed products of this era, well done. RIP Steve.

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Even if you say, Jobs wasn't the man behind the innovations, you can't argue that he was a leader with a vision. To me Apple is a corporate that has a vision that every employee knows and works for. You can't say that for many corporates.

Rest in peace Steve.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naabi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 151 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Belgrade, Serbia
Respect... RIP Steve

SJ led the greatest corporate comeback ever

regardless of his "ethics", he was not one of those CEOs who sat back and voted himself a pay raise - the guy kept going non stop to do new **** - even when he had cancer.

as an investor you could not ask for a better CEO.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 85 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dunfermline, Scotland
Truly stunned this morning when I heard the news. Feel like something is missing from my world.

Originally Posted by naabi View Post
Even if you say, Jobs wasn't the man behind the innovations, you can't argue that he was a leader with a vision. To me Apple is a corporate that has a vision that every employee knows and works for. You can't say that for many corporates.

Rest in peace Steve.
good point. I *HATE* corporate "mission statements", they tend to be crass, puerile bull$hit that the employees at best ignore, or mor often hold up to sarcasm/ridicule (as the corporate behaviour almost never resembles the trite soundbite mission statememt). I don't actually know if Apple has a MS, but it's a moot point as their products and corporate actions speak for themselves in a very clear & unambiguous way. That is in no way an endorsement of Apple or its iProducts, but it is undeniable that he had corporate vision and executed it lke few if any other CEO's ever.

Just remember his achievements - a worldbeating series of consumer products, a customer base loyal beyond the point of rationality ... Oh, and the odd $90 billion in the coffers. his track record as CEO is astonishing, and as someone alluded to earlier in the thread, he was one of the few CEO's who were underpaid (regardless of what they paid him).

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by frostbyte View Post
A very good friend of mine, who practically is an Apple convert -- mind you, educated, good with tech/computers (went from building his own Windows machines in the 90's to Linux to Mac) -- told me once he likes the feeling of opening up his Macbook in a public place like a coffee shop, that it makes him feel like he "belongs to a group". At first I laughed, then got irritated and finally argued with him for 2 hours. Point is, Jobs was able to make sane people do somewhat not-sane things while paying a premium for those things. A brilliant businessman indeed.
thats marketing, it doesnt work on me.
reason reality distortion field never affected me.

its still cheap **** wrapped in shinny black and white skins. thats sells for premium

The Following User Says Thank You to jo21 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Gone far too soon.
Once more: in Africa whole generations die from AIDS.
In Europe and Americas cancer is the same "destroyer".
These two are the pest of our days and we only get aware slowly.
Very strange.

RIP Mr Jobs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PMaff For This Useful Post:
The greatest things Jobs did, was bringing together a handful of real Software geniuses who developed NeXTStep in the end of eighties.

On his NeXT machine the Web was invented.

Could this be done on some Solaris/HPUX? Maybe. But not with the great ease the NeXT machine provided.

I personally owe Jobs a lot. Without the great NeXT cube, I would not have gone on a career in the Unix field. I may still be hacking Win95 instead.

And on my Mac, I always have a few terminal windows open.

I'm deeply sad that he died in this young age. RIP.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rider For This Useful Post:

Tags
r.i.p., steve jobs