Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
Would there be huge differences between a prototype and a sales unit?
Maybe, maybe not, but it's never the same thing, a small difference for one person is a showstopper for another (plus, we don't know just how old the prototype is). The insult to injury is showing the phone in the protection cover (how come he never reviews an iPhone or a Samsung product in a protection cover ?) which of course makes it look fatter (the thing that the N9 actually looks decent even with the thing on, is a testimony to some mighty attentive engineering, though).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
What I read in this review isn't too far away from my own impressions.

Diferences:

I'm more disappointed with the camera than Eldar seems to be.

Eldar has a strange view on multitasking, claiming it's a good thing if the OS takes control away from the user and decides on its own when to close an application. For a smartphones, that's be unacceptable. Still, I think I remember having read somewhere that Harmattan does have a mechanism to suspend or shut down applications in the background, so I'm not really sure if Eldar is right.

The screen on my device is really disappointing, especially when reading text. Eldar, as other have pointed out, may not have a real production unit, so maybe he doesn't see these issues.

The USB cover on the top looks worse than it is. I don't know what you'd have to do to brake it under normal conditions.

The note about the faulty LED (not showing charging/fully charged) is correct, same on my device.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
The camera has been a let down. Hype built around the speed of the camera and the results got me very excited as I take photos every chance I get. Recently i've noticed delay in the app launching which causes me to double/triple tap.

Also have issues with the colours. Auto fix behaves oddly. Sensor doesnt like bright lights so you get a white cloud where there are bright spots in a scene, medium to low (not dark) light is very very grainy.

Have a long list of complaints but will wait to see if they are fixed or I find work arounds.

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
The camera is the biggest let down of the N9, the rest I have not seen or dealt with and I've heavily modded my N9...

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
The camera has been a let down. Hype built around the speed of the camera and the results got me very excited as I take photos every chance I get. Recently i've noticed delay in the app launching which causes me to double/triple tap.

Also have issues with the colours. Auto fix behaves oddly. Sensor doesnt like bright lights so you get a white cloud where there are bright spots in a scene, medium to low (not dark) light is very very grainy.

Have a long list of complaints but will wait to see if they are fixed or I find work arounds.
Useful to know - thanks. I think I will keep reading stuff before taking the plunge. NewEgg.com are selling the blue N9 for $599 now, so it's more tempting than ever, but still a little too pricey if there are still problems that haven't been sorted out by PR1.1. Maybe PR1.2 will address the camera issues and LED omissions, but I don't mind waiting around and gathering more info before swiping that credit card. HA! See what I did there...?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyNokia232 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
Useful to know - thanks. I think I will keep reading stuff before taking the plunge. NewEgg.com are selling the blue N9 for $599 now, so it's more tempting than ever, but still a little too pricey if there are still problems that haven't been sorted out by PR1.1. Maybe PR1.2 will address the camera issues and LED omissions, but I don't mind waiting around and gathering more info before swiping that credit card. HA! See what I did there...?
You might need to hurry up with that. There's only 92k made after all.

It's too bad what Eldar has become. MR was the best review site before 2008, now GSMarena is the only place i will read reviews. For other details or special interest i'm clever enough to figure out myself and make my own opinion.

Last edited by tissot; 2011-11-30 at 17:45.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
I disagree on the camera part. I've found it to be excellent at both indoor and outdoor photos. It is the first phone I've had that I would consider to be a suitable replacement for my few years old Nikon Coolpix 8MP camera.

An issue I would take with Eldar's review is that he compares the design to an iPod, but the iPod is not a phone. He writes that the N9's design is nothing new to the industry, yet I am not aware of any other phones that have no buttons on the front and have the curved glass surface. I didn't think I would care too much about those features before I got my N9, but I must say I've gotten to like them so much that I will be looking for them in my next phone.

Remember this is the guy that called the camera of the N8 "average", when it still is the undisputed king of phone cameras.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crisscross For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
He has lost all credibility in my eyes. I won't even look at this "review." Poo pooing the design is the most obvious show of bias.
What happened to all his "OMGZ they can't make an easy language switcher on the keyboard."
I don't know..... I haven't read the review and don't want to.
Him and guber^ should get a room

Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Can you spot the difference between these two models on the photo? Do not try as it is not there.
N9 has a bigger screen, as evident in the picture. Also theres the lack of front facing camera, which we also see in the picture. Not sure if we see the charging LED, and Im not sure if both phones have one.

Thats just in the picture. Other than that theres 1 less HW key on the N9 from the Lumia 800 and different LED flash placement.

for example you cannot upload photos in the Twitter app
You can with the latest FW.

but the user experience is inferior to that of modern Symbian solutions
Not that Ive found, at least. But its nothing specifically mentioned here, so hard to argue.

The speaker is not loud enough to hear the phone calls from pockets.
Not true. At least not true in my pockets, dont know what kind of stuff he has going on though.

although it is not quite clear what is done when it’s active – it turns down the brightness level but it surely must do something else.
It does. IIRC its even in the phones manual.

the OS decided on its own which app to stop and N9 cannot do that which is a real downer. Some reader who saw how many apps were running in my N9 commented angrily that it was not a fair comparison but they seemed to have forgotten that other OS do the job automatically. Users should not worry about how many apps are running at the moment and which ones they should close – the device should be working for users not vice versa.
I disagree. If you open a shitton of programs on your computer, thats basically the same thing isnt it? I close stuff I dont use, and its easier to close than on android/symbian/ios: swipe down.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slai For This Useful Post: