To help figure out what is going on, here are two commands (run as user in an X terminal) and their output (exact) on my N900. I have a US N900 that I purchased from amazon.com. And I flashed it with
RX-51_2009SE_1.2009.42-11.002_PR_COMBINED_002_ARM.bin
Attached Files
File Type: txt print.txt (311 Bytes, 304 views)
File Type: txt device.txt (649 Bytes, 297 views)

The output on my device matches what is in your two files perfectly, except that on the device.txt mine ends with:

geometry: pc(pc105)
Error loading new keyboard description
~$

Mine has never been reflashed

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
The output here also match yours, no error, but the keyboard has exactly the same behavior as before, only the letters work.

Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
The output here also match yours, no error, but the keyboard has exactly the same behavior as before, only the letters work.
After the setxkbmap command, type a key on the internal keyboard then type a key on the bluetooth keyboard. I don't know why this is necessary but I found on mine it is both necessary and sufficient.

Also I found that sometimes (but not always) after doing this, the Enter key on the bluetooth keyboard has no effect in an X terminal even though it does have effect in an Emacs window. But Ctrl-J and Ctrl-M can generate Enter. I don't know why this sometimes (but not always) happens.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen
Originally Posted by mlpmail View Post
The output on my device matches what is in your two files perfectly, except that on the device.txt mine ends with:

geometry: pc(pc105)
Error loading new keyboard description
~$

Mine has never been reflashed
Same for me...

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by qobi View Post
After the setxkbmap command, type a key on the internal keyboard then type a key on the bluetooth keyboard. I don't know why this is necessary but I found on mine it is both necessary and sufficient.
I did that several times, no luck

Also I found that sometimes (but not always) after doing this, the Enter key on the bluetooth keyboard has no effect in an X terminal even though it does have effect in an Emacs window. But Ctrl-J and Ctrl-M can generate Enter. I don't know why this sometimes (but not always) happens.
Enter+letters+backspace+space+arrows work without problems so far (no need to modify anything), swift, numbers, special punctuation,... doesn't work.

It appears that this correlates with whether the internal keyboard slider is open or closed. If it is closed then the Enter key on the bluetooth keyboard doesn't work in an X terminal (but does in an X windows Emacs). If it is open then the Enter key on the bluetooth keyboard does work. I don't know why.

Well,

Everything went smoothly, until I got to my second xkbcomp check...
Code:
% xkbcomp -i 4 :0.0 /tmp/post-setxkbmap.txt
...at which point it became apparent that my setxkbmap command is not actually changing anything.

The two output files are identical (anybody know how to get 'diff' on the n900? I had to transfer the files to my laptop), and the keyboard behavior has not changed.

Ran as 'user', $DEVICE bound to :0.0, bluetooth device ID 4, No errors, verbose (-v 10 -print) output identical to qobi's, etc..

Thoughts?
-poser

OK,

I had left the "-print" argument in my script, so setxkbmap wasn't actually doing anything. Now I get the same error ("Error loading new keyboard description") as everyone else (other than qobi).

Does anybody know the point of the blank "-I" (as in "eye") argument? Does it rely on any assumptions about the present working directory from which the command is executed?

Variations on the setxkbmap command get me variations on the error...but nothing that makes me happy.

Originally Posted by poser View Post
Does anybody know the point of the blank "-I" (as in "eye") argument? Does it rely on any assumptions about the present working directory from which the command is executed?
It only works for me if I specify two -I, the first one blank. My guess is that the first blank -I clears the default path. The man page for setxkbmap (on Debian Lenny) doesn't mention anything about this:

-I directory
Adds a directory to the list of directories to be used to
search for specified layout or rules files.

But the man page for xkbcomp (on Debian Lenny) says:

-Idir Specifies top-level directories to be searched for files
included by the keymap description. After all directories
specified by -I options have been searched, the current direc-
tory and finally, the default xkb directory (usually
/usr/lib/X11/xkb) will be searched.

To prevent the current and default directories from being
searched, use the -I option alone (i.e. without a directory),
before any -I options that specify the directories you do want
searched.

Originally Posted by poser View Post
Variations on the setxkbmap command get me variations on the error...but nothing that makes me happy.
It may help figuring out what is going on if you can report what the variations on the setxkbmap command are and what variations on the error result.