i just want an OS that can multitask properly

also why are people so desperate to associate Nokia with this company lol

Last edited by m4r0v3r; 2012-07-08 at 23:44.

Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
E7, card slot and maemergo.

Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
I do find it understandable that they should want to keep their UI closed for differentiation purposes which is why I proposed:
Practice shows that it's a huge waste of effort, since these closed UIs die with the demise of the company, or if the company decides to ditch it (Harmattan is a very clear example). Only open UIs can survive these kind of things. But it's of course up to them to learn on others' errors, or on their own. Even HP understood that there is a value in fully opening webOS, otherwise it would be simply dead.

In this case Nokia didn't open up Harmattan when they decided to ditch it, only because MS fully controls what they do now. Otherwise there was every reason for them to open it up.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-07-09 at 00:07.

Posts: 418 | Thanked: 506 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Argentina
I hope they keep the nokia ui

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Just repeating .. I'd like to ask one question: How would you guys like the community to look around Jolla SW/HW etc?
Well are you going to have a mascot like Meego had those little people things?

The Mer project logo has a ocean/lake bubbles (unless those were deep fry bubbles?) theme/look so maybe the UI of your community website could be like how bubbles come up to the surface similar to the way when you look at the N9 and swipe the screen underneath rises towards you but you can have some other gesture that triggers the rising up to the surface like maybe hover double tap or something (I remember someone came out with a screen that detects finger hover).
Wait a second does Nokia own the swipe gesture?
How can a company own something so basic like that? It's like me going, "wait, stop, you can't turn that magazine page until you get a license from me."
OK I'm babbling. Anyways... Oh wait my glass of water is sitting in the sunlight I just poured it and I can see little bubbles from the ice cubes. The first time I saw the Mer project logo I thought of the Europa driller mission concept. Doesn't Jolla mean dingy? So you already have a water thing going on.

Last edited by aironeous; 2012-07-09 at 02:32.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Can you see Elop make a decision like that?
No I can't. Not really.

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Manila
The Jollamobile fan page in FB have 2 administrators from Jolla ltd. which is also updated the Jolla fanpage

Posts: 266 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
On the software side and I don't want this to sound like an app request, there is a project called Tizmee by the user Elleo who is currently working on adding the TIZEN APIs to meego harmattan. The project is still in its early stages but is seeing some early success running TIZEN apps on the n9.

Would something like his work be of interest to the Jolla team?
Regardless of whether it's of official interest to the Jolla folks or not, as long as they continue to support Qt and QtWebKit then Tizmee should be almost immediately portable to their platform.

I have a personal interest in all mobile platforms based around standard GNU/Linux technologies, so once there are public releases of Jolla's full platform I'll look into porting all my various projects to it.

I'd be glad if they make a user on Diaspora. Not using Facebook really.

Or a website even. What's up with this twitter/linkedin/facebook thing?

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla