Active Topics

So how exactly can comunity help with OH?

It seems Jolla hopes for the community to come up with HW? How realistic is that? There is some profit to be made that is for sure, so hopefully some manufacturer bites, but without this happening.
What is the best way? There is already thread on design discussion, one for actual implementation with chip and functionality testing. Are 3d printers good enough to produce solid quality production line? Or will this just be tech demo for manufacturers to help them out?
Can the community pull this off? (Neo900 project looks like it is possible on board side) Kickstarter?

At this very moment, complex (eg. keyboard, complex camera systems) Jolla Other Halves aren't commercially viable yet, because the market is small, except maybe a keyboard other half.

I think by the end of december, around 6000 jolla devices will be around. Let's say one in six want a jolla keyboard, then the market for keyboards is 1000 by the end of december.

The value of the parts of such an other half is probably arount €8, for a batch size of 1000. The prize I think you can sell them for is around €25.

This means you have a profit of €18000. This isn't much to justify development of such a piece of hardware, but.. The market will grow, so it's probably just commercially viable.

A better plan is to create designs for a slider other half, which we obtain in higher numbers, and create a website with jolla designs, where you can buy parts, so you can assemble them yourself.

This way we don't all have to reinvent the wheel and no-one has to take the economical risk.

The Following User Says Thank You to nanderv For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nanderv View Post
At this very moment, complex (eg. keyboard, complex camera systems) Jolla Other Halves aren't commercially viable yet, because the market is small, except maybe a keyboard other half.

I think by the end of december, around 6000 jolla devices will be around. Let's say one in six want a jolla keyboard, then the market for keyboards is 1000 by the end of december.

The value of the parts of such an other half is probably arount €8, for a batch size of 1000. The prize I think you can sell them for is around €25.

This means you have a profit of €18000. This isn't much to justify development of such a piece of hardware, but.. The market will grow, so it's probably just commercially viable.

A better plan is to create designs for a slider other half, which we obtain in higher numbers, and create a website with jolla designs, where you can buy parts, so you can assemble them yourself.

This way we don't all have to reinvent the wheel and no-one has to take the economical risk.
Modable HWKB OH would rock. Choose: extra battery, sensors, storage... Kind of the puzzle phone idea G suddenly supported. I'm just afraid to start a production line you need investment, prototyping costs, not sure if community can pull this off

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
I think a good starting point is to get STLs people can use to print their own other halves on 3D printers. Once you have the models, they can be customized, remixed, used as a base for other half keyboard development.

Releasing the OH 3D model (preferably in the widely used STL format) could be a nice opportunity for Jolla to get a lot of good will in the 3D printing community. Or alternatively we'll have to hack one together ourselves.

Example:

Han Solo in carbonite 3D printed phone cover

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I think a good starting point is to get STLs people can use to print their own other halves on 3D printers. Once you have the models, they can be customized, remixed, used as a base for other half keyboard development.

Releasing the OH 3D model (preferably in the widely used STL format) could be a nice opportunity for Jolla to get a lot of good will in the 3D printing community. Or alternatively we'll have to hack one together ourselves.

Example:
http://thingiverse-production.s3.ama...w_featured.jpg
Han Solo in carbonite 3D printed phone cover
3d printing just plastic covers might be feasible (love solo, can't imagine this surviving a day in a pocket, or pocket surviving that day), but if you want metal inside, we are plastic age now when it comes to home manufacturing