Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Which is already 2 weeks late
Wow! Whole 2 weeks! Unbelievable! That makes Jolla with their copy&paste still missing after 2 years look like real heros

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Wow! Whole 2 weeks! Unbelievable! That makes Jolla with their copy&paste still missing after 2 years look like real heros
For a big company like Canonical? Seems like just the beginning. If we were on Ubuntu forums pretty sure the whiners like you about browser/dave about copy-paste would be already into their 3rd month of claiming Ubuntu is a failure because of no copy/paste, and this is what community wants/demands!1!

edit: Oh and release ota9 means the copy/paste has not been there since (assuming they did release ota1-2-3 every 6 weeks, unlike the 8 weeks for 9, 48 weeks? year for a company the size of canonical? year? Jolla with patches got copy/paste from browser in a couple of months lol, canonical get your **** together, sure, not so easy to patch canonical, they are more open source, yet for 8 updates noone came up with a way to copy from browser, damn, jolla did something right it seems, big brother canonical still needs 8 weeks)

Last edited by szopin; 2015-11-21 at 01:37.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
and no community remained around Maemo
Actually I think no N9/950 and no Jolla would make the Maemo community stronger as there would be nowhere to go.

And by not loosing many talented people to the "green pastures" of the N9/Jolla many of the Maemo related project that have been talked about but never materialized due to insufficient manpower (updated autobuilder, rewriting more closed stuff, rebasing Maemo, running the PowerVR blog on new kernel, SHR on the N900, newer Python/Qt/Glibc, porting to other platforms, etc.) might have materialised and moved Maemo forward. Many of these projects are still moving forward, but slowly - but they could have been already finished long ago in this alternative past and a lot of miracles could be built on top of them.

Mer had never happened.
Haha - WRONG! Mer has already happened by then - and you should be the one to know it.

I still remember hanging out on the Mer IRC channel back in 2009, testing Mer on my SmartQ 7 chinese tablet (and possibly writing a part of this page), just as some rumors about a mysterious "Fremantle" device started floating around - and you were there too on that channel. And then the N900 came, sucked out all Nokia employed developers working on the Mer project, killed it for all purposes.

Firefox OS didn't reach a lot of attention. WebOS ended up being a TV OS. Tizen had been mismanaged to hell and seen as an internal Samsung-only project.
So no change there ? :P

So what would I have done if there was no N9 & Jolla ?

Probably concentrated more on the N900 versions of my apps & on desktop versions. Ports to other platforms that didn't get much of my attention might get more of it (BB10) and I might concentrate more on the Android ports.

I might also have got more involved in some of the mobile open OS projects, such as open-Maemo or SHR.

What would you have them do to disrupt the mobile market? Where should they attack?

tld;r: a group of talented people get together today, in 2015; to disrupt mobile, what should they do?
Oh I think that's quite simple in principle - study the current market leaders & find what people hate about them and what are their major shortcomings. then do the thing properly so that people don't hate it any buy from you instead of them. And that's all. No idea about trivial stuff like how to fund it, how much work would it take, etc. though.

I'm actually only half joking BTW - I think there are some pretty glaring flaws in how Android and iOS do things and exploiting them could be a nice attack vector (its actually interesting in itself that you can "attack" someone by doing things properly ) for an entity wanting to change the current status quo.

Also many of these flaws/behvaior patterns are so ingrained that they can't be ever changed, so the "incumbent" just wont be able to react once you do the thing correctly and you can then forever point out how your solution is better and how theirs is flawed.

tl;dr;doing stuff properly in the mobile market
List of random stuff you can do better to kill Android and or/iOS (including some pretty non-realistic items):
  • quick/immediate security updates - more important than ever these days
  • long term support for your devices - possibly with paid extended very long term support
  • everything open source and auditable - also more important than ever due to security concerns + open source becoming the norm at least in some segments
  • hard push on open drivers and up to date kernels - even Android vendors are starting to wake up as they are basically drowning in out of tree patches by this point
  • no adds whatsoever anywhere in the OS and apps
  • no leaking of personal information in default setup, possible opt it "I really want to do that"
  • strong policy on handling of user data by apps
  • incentives to make as many apps open source as possible for security and auditing reasons
  • hardware that's actually durable and not only cheap at all costs
  • hardware that can be actually repaired, not thrown away
  • possibly extensible & modular hardware & actually selling extensions and modules for the hardware !
  • strong aim to make the hardware and/or an abstraction generic enough to make desktop/server style generic distros a possibility on mobile devices

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
E.g. phones with small/portable docking stations which actually launch a full desktop when docked in.

It's a dream that has been revived many, many times.
Anybody still remembers the AlwaysInnovating TouchBook ?

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
You can have a "fresh libc/x" chroot on android. Just search for Debian, Ubuntu chroot, etc. If they don't specifically brag about Eclipse I'd bet it has more to do with the way Eclipse looks on a 800x480 window.
I think it has to with the way Eclipse looks on any screen.

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Actually I think no N9/950 and no Jolla would make the Maemo community stronger as there would be nowhere to go.
Get all developers, put them in prison: you have nowhere to go, you have to support the only real platform now <- that is a weird way to push for linux, I'd say might be non-linux way, lets ask Stallman
And by not loosing many talented people to the "green pastures" of the N9/Jolla many of the Maemo related project that have been talked about but never materialized due to insufficient manpower (updated autobuilder, rewriting more closed stuff, rebasing Maemo, running the PowerVR blog on new kernel, SHR on the N900, newer Python/Qt/Glibc, porting to other platforms, etc.) might have materialised and moved Maemo forward. Many of these projects are still moving forward, but slowly - but they could have been already finished long ago
Yeah, with that approach to members, after all commit suicide, it would've finished right away
in this alternative past and a lot of miracles could be built on top of them.
After Mary mother of Jesus showed up on the horizon every developer turned to Visual Basic

Going to stop here... we don't need more extremisms. We should not jail programmers with only single compiler, that's wrong on so many levels, srsly

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
I think it has to with the way Eclipse looks on any screen.
It's not even about the looks

[*]everything open source and auditable - also more important than ever due to security concerns + open source becoming the norm at least in some segments
After Endless Demonization Of Encryption, Police Find Paris Attackers Coordinated Via Unencrypted SMS
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...pted-sms.shtml

Plain text is the best in that regards, yet still seems problematic when terrorists use it, ban plain text now!

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Heya Folks,

The OP made very clear what the parameters of this thread are, please stick to them, this thread's not an excuse to get on your soapbox & push one agenda or another.
If the big derailments continue, & they continue to be reported, I'll have to start removing posts.

Not subscribed to this thread, far too busy in recent months...
If you feel someone's consistently veering too far from the thread's agenda then continue use the report function or PM, but please make sure you have a solid rationale.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by jalyst; 2015-11-21 at 04:44.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Anybody still remembers the AlwaysInnovating TouchBook ?
That device was awesome; then everybody copied it in one way or the other.., leaving them into almost bankruptcy..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Any m-commerce vendor that couldn't participate in Google or Apple's m-commerce paths were losing money rapidly.
Since this went a bit above people's heads.

Look around. Who's locked out of, or at risk of Google or Apple locking them out of mobile devices effectively by providing their(Google/Apple) own services?

Local providers of content as an example, local search engines, etc. Mobile network providers. Spotify. That's a lot of cash in the bank there and a burning need to keep sustainable.

How could you leverage this?

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:

Tags
brainfiction, brainstorming, fiction, jolla or iphone, neigh!, unicorn device